No power to the starter

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2014, 05:09 PM

No power to the starter

I am slowly replacing parts on my '68 98. I am to the point where I really need to get it running but there doesn't seem to be any power getting to the starter and I'm not sure why. When I put the key in and turn the acc. on the dash lights will light up but there is no power to the blower, radio, etc. When I turn the key to start the lights on the dash dim. Do you think I just have a bad battery? The motor is still full of oil, so I know it's not locked up. Or is there a specific relay of fuse that may be bad? Sorry for the vague overview of the problem but y'all know so much more about these cars than me... Thanks for always helping me out, in my ignorance!

Cam
Belton, TX
Old November 12th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Administrator

There are 2 power sources to the starter. 1 is from the battery through the big cable that goes to the solenoid and should have battery voltage all the time. 2 is the trigger voltage supplied through the ignition switch to the solenoid through the purple wire. Since the lights dimmed I'm going to assume that is there.

A low battery is a good assumption as are corroded terminals and possibly a bad connection. It could also be the brushes inside the starter motor or a bad solenoid. First check your battery and make sure it's charged. If it's been sitting for some time, have someone turn the key to start while you lay under the car and whack the side of the starter with a hammer.
Old May 17th, 2023, 07:21 PM

I can’t tell you how many times I have fixed people’s battery connections that “looked good”. A tight connection doesn’t mean a good connection. My Bro’s car would not crank. Removed cable ends and cleaned battery posts with sandpaper until shiny. Rolled up a piece of sandpaper and did inside of cable ends. Car fired right up and he sat there with a stunned look on his face.