the new addition to my addiction

Old November 7th, 2014, 07:41 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

the new addition to my addiction

hey guys, I had a 78 delta royale in 1989 silver with silver top and red interior for my first car and had many good memories and times involving it.. paid a whole $50 for it with a rod knocking 350 and was able to find a 71 cutlass holiday coupe that someone was getting ready to scrap for another $50 and besides being rotted, ran strong! so I put the engine in it and drove it like I stole it for a little over a year and had visions of regency seats along with the grille and tail lamps to class it up a little.. never happened and sold the car after a particularly crazy night with it that involved I don't know how many donuts and a collision with a dumpster while the rear was in full swing! anyway I never forgot the car and always wanted a clone or something very close and located the best car I could find out of ohio about a month ago.. after a few long phone calls and making arrangements, she is finally mine! taking the family with me and road tripping the car back to rhode island and stopping by the rock and roll hall of fame since it is right there.. nothing like a road trip in cars like these, this is what they were meant for! hope you guys like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nexus photos 657.jpg (94.4 KB, 40 views)
nexus photos 656.jpg (64.5 KB, 36 views)
nexus photos 654.jpg (44.9 KB, 35 views)
nexus photos 659.jpg (52.2 KB, 30 views)
nexus photos 655.jpg (48.7 KB, 34 views)
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Sweet.

The 77-79 Ninety Eights are one of my favs.

Having no rear fender skirts is a big plus for me - as they were never something that got me all that warm & fuzzy.

Prefer the sedans over the coupes on these as well.

The red interior is another big plus.

IMHO - red or black was as good as it got for the interior colors on the 77-79 cars.

350 or 403 ?.
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:22 AM

Sweet Looking!! Where in Warwick are you located? I'm in N. Scituate RI.
Have a 72 Cutlass 442 Tribute.
Thanks,
Fred
Old November 8th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Nice ride, thanks for sharing. Keep it away from other objects this time.
Old November 8th, 2014, 04:26 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

I agree pack rat those two colors look the most rich and classy. these are one of the few bodies that carry the lines as well as the coupe which seldom happens . as I believe you know I did the interior on the 78 delta in mahogany and that color is right up there had it been available after 76. since I have a silver one now, I just may paint the delta black since it did sound sweet ! the 98 has the 350 but I do have a spare 455 for the one that will be ok to get rubber on the rear quarters!
Old November 8th, 2014, 04:30 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

hey check, good to see another rhode islander on here, I live right off west shore rd brother. cool car you have by the way. and yes cutlass I have calmed down enough to at least mess around when I am not drinking!
Old November 8th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Paint the bronze one with the mahogany interior black ?.

Hell yes !!!!!!!!!.

I'm a real sucker for black on red in the 77-79 cars.
(the 80-84/5 cars too for that matter)

My father traded a 72 Toro in 1984 for a black & red 79 D88 Royale sedan.

I eventually ended up with it in the early 90's - unfortunately it's long gone now.

Loved that car & wished I still had it.

Would love another someday or even a Ninety Eight.

That car was a real compliment magnet in its day.

It oozed class ... can't believe how many times someone would refer to it as a Cadillac of some sort.

Wish I had some REAL pix of it & not just these (2) lame *** instant Polaroids.

This was sometime in the 1984-1986 time frame ... most likely the summer of 85'.

Attached Images
79D88_8486.jpg (79.6 KB, 308 views)

Last edited by ThePackRat; November 9th, 2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Pic Fix
Old November 9th, 2014, 06:40 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

pack rat i cant open the pics up, dying to see it in black now! here comes some long winded s#!t as to why i now have 3 cars that are basically the same body. so bear with me. loved my delta from 89' and kinda always wanted another one, so when my friend asked if i knew anyone who liked a delta i said what year and he said 78. two door or four and he said four.. i said how much and he said $800. i knew i was screwed as soon as he said it ran perfect! so the plan was to clone my 78 royale that was silver/silver/red and besides some lower door and fender rust, was really solid.(needed driver door for sure and in my eyes the other three too but they were totally repairable. so fast forward a year and john 76 regency sends me a link from here about a 78 delta being parted in oregon, so i called the 16 year old kid who bought the car only for the 403 and trans for his chevy truck that had a bad olds diesel in it. my plan was to buy the 4 doors , lower stainless and tilt column, but when i had him send me pics and realized that the car did not have even the start of rust on the entire body and an anti spin diff, i paid $500 for it and had it shipped. so the plan was to strip the bronze one and use the 76 interior and paint the blue body silver with the int out of the bronze one and part the rest.. searched for and bought all the nos outside stuff to make it right when i painted it as i have worked in the body field for the past 17 years, but then i started thinking that i really wanted the interior to be red and not mohogany so i started looking for a suitable car to use the red interior out of and keep/sell whatever is left over which led me to car#3 which is too nice to do that to so the 98 will be stay as is and the 88 may as well go black since two of these in silver along with my 76 regency which is silver w/black leather would be more crazy than the story i just told! so that is the story for those who didn't put a gun in their mouth before it was over!!
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

It's all good.

I've caught myself rambling now & then - only to delete it & try to start fresh.

In fact my last post from last night was quite a bit longer but Firefox crashed & I had to start over.
(perhaps it was divine intervention for the benefit of others)

Think that's why the pic didn't show up.

In fact FF just booted me @ 4 more times just now when I tried to fix the pic.

Every time I went to close the attachment window - FF crashed completely.

Had to fire up IE to attach the pic.

If that didn't work I was just going to add it to my use.com acct.
Old November 10th, 2014, 06:10 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

damn pack rat, that car looks right in black! classy as hell, so i'm pretty sure mine is going black since the 98 will represent my first in colors and the 88 can be the 455 powered hellraiser that i imagined in the first place. i think it will look better in black blowing it sideways down the street anyway! these cars do not get much love in the classic car world, but it is one of the most handsome box body cars built imho