brake booster question

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2014, 04:23 AM

brake booster question

i have a 1966 olds 98 with power drum brakes
the booster is very rusted on the outside bottom and in the hole where the master cylinder sits
i want to replace it but i can't find one
does any one know where i can get a working one, rebuild this one or one from a different year that will fit?
thanks
Old October 28th, 2014, 06:22 PM

After looking at different years the 67 booster is different as well as the master cylinder. The 67 has a separate front and back reservoir as well as front and rear lines.
They offer brake pads and calipers for the 67.
Since i want to install the front disk brake kit i wonder if this is a better way to go?
i would love to find out if the spindles and disk off a 67 fit.

Last edited by The Flash; October 28th, 2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by The Flash
After looking at different years the 67 booster is different as well as the master cylinder. The 67 has a separate front and back reservoir as well as front and rear lines.
They offer brake pads and calipers for the 67.
Since i want to install the front disk brake kit i wonder if this is a better way to go?
i would love to find out if the spindles and disk off a 67 fit.
The spindles from all 1965-1970 full size cars interchange. Cutlass spindles do not. The rotors for the 67-70 full size cars are NOT currently available new from any source.

Starting with the 1967 model year, automakers were required to use dual-circuit brake systems where the front and rear brakes were separated such that a brake line leak would not cause you to loose all your brakes. It is possible to retrofit the dual circuit master cylinder to an earlier car, but there are plumbing changes required. Disc brake systems use a different master cylinder than do drum brake systems. You MUST use the correct M/C for the type of brakes you are using.
Old October 31st, 2014, 05:54 AM

Kanter has this Kit that comes with a booster but there catalog only shows up to 65 full size
do you think it will work?
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kanter.jpg (58.3 KB, 16 views)
Old February 27th, 2017, 09:26 PM
2 '66 98's

Bringing an old question back to life! Will the 67 98 master cylinder actually mount to the 66 98 power booster? Are the rotors NOW available anywhere? The plumbing can be managed.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
Bringing an old question back to life! Will the 67 98 master cylinder actually mount to the 66 98 power booster?
No. The single-circuit brake M/C used a longer pushrod between the booster and M/C than the dual-circuit M/C. You need to change both the M/C and booster to the 1967 style.

Alternately, you can also try the dual-circuit M/C from a 1966 Cadillac Fleetwood on the original booster. These apparently have the deep hole in the M'C piston that mates to the long pushrod on the single-circuit booster. I have not verified this personally, however.

Are the rotors NOW available anywhere?
Nope. Even less demand now than before, so there isn't exactly a compelling reason for a company to start making them.