Ignition Lock Cylinder Issue

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:27 AM

Ignition Lock Cylinder Issue

When I picked up this car I was aware that there was no ignition key. Now, I am trying to decide what the best course of action is. I DO have the door lock key. One of my questions is, did they make the same cut for both the ignition key and the door lock key? Then just put them on two separate types of keys? Would I be able to get an ignition style key and have it cut the same as the door key? What would y'all do?

(I apologize in advance for all of the questions I will be posting about this car)
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by cameron_zank
... did they make the same cut for both the ignition key and the door lock key?
Then just put them on two separate types of keys?
Would I be able to get an ignition style key and have it cut the same as the door key?
No,
No, and,
No.

Some years were made with the ignition and door keys the same and the glove compartment and trunk different, and some years the ignition and doors were different.

They never cut the same teeth onto different blanks intentionally.

Also, do not forget that a lot may have happened in the forty years since the car was made, which could have caused the keys to be changed.

Since your ignition key doesn't match any of your other keys, your best bet may be to just take the cylinder out and either replace it or have it keyed the way you want it to be.
Of course, we'd need to know something about your car in order to give you advice about that.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

What would y'all do?
You didn't tell us the year or model, but apparently you do have a door key, so this is a later vehicle that has different door and ignition keys.

Go to THIS WEBSITE for info on how to remove the lock cylinder without a key. Once it's out, you'll see a four character code stamped on the cylinder. You can have a new key cut from this code. I typically do this for $10 for the first key and $2 for each subsequent copy, mailed to you. You can also pay more at a local locksmith.
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:34 PM

I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking. It is a 1968 Oldsmobile 98. Thanks for the advice! I didn't realize this was something that locksmiths did but I have someone coming out with 200 different GM keys of that time period and he is just going to make me a new key from that one!
Old October 20th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Randy C.

With the ignition on the dash for a '68, the lock cylinder is pretty easy to remove. I suspect the person coming out with the '68 style ignition key will simply remove the lock cylinder, read the key code on it, and cut a new ignition key for you based on the ignition cylinder key code.

I'm surprised the door lock key doesn't work in the ignition. I would say your ignition has been changed out at some time. As I recall, on my '68 A-body, the door and ignition keys are the same, whereas the glove box/trunk key is different.

Randy C.
Old October 21st, 2014, 08:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking. It is a 1968 Oldsmobile 98. Thanks for the advice! I didn't realize this was something that locksmiths did but I have someone coming out with 200 different GM keys of that time period and he is just going to make me a new key from that one!
All 1968 Oldsmobiles used the same key for the doors and ignition. If yours are different, one or the other has been changed at some point in the past.
Old October 21st, 2014, 09:55 AM

did you try wiggling the key in the ign ?
maybe it's just worn.

old worn copies of a copy can be hard to get to work.

You MIGHT be able to get a serviceable key by getting the code off your door cylinder or ign lock cylinder, and then have joe kerchunk out a fresh one with the magic pliers tool. fresh new correct depth cuts.

Then you can start making copies of that, and copies of the copy, etc.
:-)
Old October 24th, 2014, 10:28 AM

Ignition Key

The ignition cylinder must be removed from the ignition switch to unscrew the plastic bezel/nut. The nut is hard to come by so be careful with the original. Your door lock cylinder should be keyed the same as the ignition so removing a door cylinder and bringing that to a lock smith would be a good option. On 1968 98s the doors and ignition take one key and the trunk and glove box use the other.
Old October 24th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

He already said that he has a door key and it doesn't fit the ignition.

- Eric
Old October 24th, 2014, 10:53 AM

Update

Hey guys, thanks for all of your advice. I took a little bit from everything everyone posted. I ended up having someone come out and he couldn't find a key to fit the ignition but he was able to get a door key made for me!

As for the ignition, I did end up unscrewing the entire ignition switch out of the car and unplugging it. In case anyone ever runs into this issue, Auto Zone actually still sells the GM ignition switch and lock cylinder that goes to the car. Even the Octagon shaped key. So, I got a whole new assembly and screwed it all back in there and it works great! Thanks again for all of your help!
Old October 24th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I did end up unscrewing the entire ignition switch out of the car and unplugging it.
... Which is probably what the last owner did, too.

Now that you have a cylinder with a key, if you want to, you can turn the switch to ACC, push a paper clip into the little hole, and keep turning, to release the cylinder, then take it to a locksmith and get it keyed like the door locks.

- Eric