Help! Need a 76 olds 98 front grill/headlight assembly!

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2012, 01:24 PM
this is stressing me out

Help! Need a 76 olds 98 front grill/headlight assembly!

Bumper would be nice too!
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:44 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

hey stressed, was the car in an accident, or are the parts just missing?
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:50 AM

I have the parts if you are close enough to Austin, Tx to pick them up.

Henry
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:41 PM
this is stressing me out

Originally Posted by 66400
I have the parts if you are close enough to Austin, Tx to pick them up.

Henry
Henry, can you ship to Minnesota? I will pay shipping and your time packaging. Thank you

Djcrook, the car was hit while parked
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Just A BaBy {:

is a 77 442 have the same front ?
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by easytobedead
is a 77 442 have the same front ?
No, Your 442 is an intermediate G Body. The Ninety Eight is a full size car. This is what the 76 Ninety Eight looks like from the front. Stylish and Elegant - very much like a Cadillac in sheeps clothing
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:33 PM
this is stressing me out

Still need these. Thanks
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stressed1
Still need these. Thanks
What's your location? That might help with folks in the area?

FWIW, you might want to check with 76Regency (John) on this site. He has 2 76 Regency's and likely has the parts, or knows where to get the parts you're looking for.

Good luck with your quest. Love to see some pics of your car.....(hint) even with the damage.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:54 AM

Hey Allan, thanks for the referral.

Stressed1,

Like Allan said, I do own 2 '76 Ninety Eight Regency Coupes and decent amount of spare parts. Please post some pics of your car and the damaged area so I can see if I have what you need. It sounds to me like you need a complete header panel and possibly a bumper too?

My friend Dave (DJCROOK73) may also be able to help. He's making a nice '76 Regency out of an already nice original and another '76 Regency parts car. Dave is in Rhode Island and I'm in Connecticut. Where are you located?

John

Originally Posted by Allan R
What's your location? That might help with folks in the area?

FWIW, you might want to check with 76Regency (John) on this site. He has 2 76 Regency's and likely has the parts, or knows where to get the parts you're looking for.

Good luck with your quest. Love to see some pics of your car.....(hint) even with the damage.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:54 PM
this is stressing me out

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hey Allan, thanks for the referral.

Stressed1,

Like Allan said, I do own 2 '76 Ninety Eight Regency Coupes and decent amount of spare parts. Please post some pics of your car and the damaged area so I can see if I have what you need. It sounds to me like you need a complete header panel and possibly a bumper too?

My friend Dave (DJCROOK73) may also be able to help. He's making a nice '76 Regency out of an already nice original and another '76 Regency parts car. Dave is in Rhode Island and I'm in Connecticut. Where are you located?

John
John,

I need just the front header panel and bumpers, front and rear. I am in Minnesota and could greatly use your help. Car is at a friends body shop awaiting these parts, and header panel for paint. Please let me know if you can help. I can pay shipping. Thank you
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:55 PM

Those are beautiful cars. It was the last year for the 455 as well, wasn't it?
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:49 PM

John,

I need just the front header panel and bumpers, front and rear. I am in Minnesota and could greatly use your help. Car is at a friends body shop awaiting these parts, and header panel for paint. Please let me know if you can help. I can pay shipping. Thank you
Hi Stressed1,

I'm not sure if I can help with a header and 2 bumpers at this time, especially if your car is already in the shop awaiting these parts. I'm not sure of the condition of the parts you are looking for but I do have a rear bumper that I would sell. It's been in storage for a long time so I really can't say the condition of it without going to check on it first but I can check when I'm there next if you want. See if Dave (DJCROOK73) can help you out with anything as well. Like I said, he's parting out a '76 98 right now so he may be able to help sooner than I can. If not, these should be relatively easy parts to find in a yard out west. I hope that helps.
John

How about some pics of your 98?

Originally Posted by Olds64
Those are beautiful cars. It was the last year for the 455 as well, wasn't it?
Yes it was. It was also the only engine available in the Ninety Eight's that year.
Old December 26th, 2012, 07:42 PM
this is stressing me out

Hi Stressed1,

I'm not sure if I can help with a header and 2 bumpers at this time, especially if your car is already in the shop awaiting these parts. I'm not sure of the condition of the parts you are looking for but I do have a rear bumper that I would sell. It's been in storage for a long time so I really can't say the condition of it without going to check on it first but I can check when I'm there next if you want. See if Dave (DJCROOK73) can help you out with anything as well. Like I said, he's parting out a '76 98 right now so he may be able to help sooner than I can. If not, these should be relatively easy parts to find in a yard out west. I hope that helps.
John

How about some pics of your 98?

Yes it was. It was also the only engine available in the Ninety Eight's that year.
John,

I was going to call Dave after the holidays, he left me his number via PM to get ahold of him. The front was damaged, the rear bumper was just rusted out. Here is a pic of the car before I had the rockers replaced. I was going to take new pictures once everything was repaired/restored. I'm also putting a new vinyl top on it. It is a Regency coupe. If Dave does not have a bumper and you are willing to sell yours to restore another coupe, let me know. Thanks.

20121203_151858-1.jpg
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:06 AM

John,

I was going to call Dave after the holidays, he left me his number via PM to get ahold of him. The front was damaged, the rear bumper was just rusted out. Here is a pic of the car before I had the rockers replaced. I was going to take new pictures once everything was repaired/restored. I'm also putting a new vinyl top on it. It is a Regency coupe. If Dave does not have a bumper and you are willing to sell yours to restore another coupe, let me know. Thanks.
Hey, what is your name by the way?

I'm really glad you posted the pic. First of all, that is a beautiful Ninety Eight! Second, it's NOT a '76, it's a '75! Although they are mostly the same, they are NOT identical and most of the parts you are asking for are completely different! The header panel and front bumper are unique for each year. The only part that carries over (of the ones you need) is the rear bumper and only the bumper itself because the black rubber impact strips are also different....they are interchangeable but different. The '75 has a smooth surface while the '76 has the vinyl grain..otherwise they're the same. I've attached pics of each year's nose so you can see the differences. The tan one is a '75 like yours and the black one (my car) is the '76. You can see the noses are completely different so make sure you're getting the right parts. I'll look for that rear bumper that I have next chance I get.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
75 98 Regency.jpg (123.1 KB, 46 views)
The Olds - Berlin 2011.jpg (92.1 KB, 46 views)
The Olds Nose.jpg (58.4 KB, 23 views)
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:19 AM
this is stressing me out

I'm really glad you posted the pic. First of all, that is a beautiful Ninety Eight! Second, it's NOT a '76, it's a '75! Although they are mostly the same, they are NOT identical and most of the parts you are asking for are completely different! The header panel and front bumper are unique for each year. The only part that carries over (of the ones you need) is the rear bumper and only the bumper itself because the black rubber impact strips are also different....they are interchangeable but different. The '75 has a smooth surface while the '76 has the vinyl grain..otherwise they're the same. I've attached pics of each year's nose so you can see the differences. The tan one is a '75 like yours and the black one (my car) is the '76. You can see the noses are completely different so make sure you're getting the right parts. I'll look for that rear bumper that I have next chance I get.

John
John,

I know exactly why I'm asking for these exact parts, as I preffer the look of the 76 to the look of the 75. Being that the front was crunched a little gives me the oppertunity to put the front I preffer on. My name is Scott BTW.
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:33 AM

John
Good catch John... I found the parts for a 1976 if anbody still looking... Will check for the 1975 parts this weekend...
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:38 AM
this is stressing me out

Caddy, did you read what I posted? I preffer the 76 parts. I do NOT want 75 parts.

Thanks
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:08 AM

I live in Indiana, about 2 hours south east of Chicago. I have a 76 regency coupe. Everything from the doghouse back on a scale of 1-10 is about a 0. The doghouse is in mostly decent shape. I would rate about a 4. Good motor though! The header is complete, and not broke. The grills are there, but they need to re-plated. Email me at jcloms@comcast.net and I can send you pictures.
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:12 AM
this is stressing me out

Originally Posted by jcloms
I live in Indiana, about 2 hours south east of Chicago. I have a 76 regency coupe. Everything from the doghouse back on a scale of 1-10 is about a 0. The doghouse is in mostly decent shape. I would rate about a 4. Good motor though! The header is complete, and not broke. The grills are there, but they need to re-plated. Email me at jcloms@comcast.net and I can send you pictures.
Sent you an email
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:12 AM

John,

I know exactly why I'm asking for these exact parts, as I preffer the look of the 76 to the look of the 75. Being that the front was crunched a little gives me the oppertunity to put the front I preffer on. My name is Scott BTW.
Hi Scott, ok that makes sense. I don't think anybody knew that at first so we were a little confused. I used to own a '75 98 years ago and you'd need more than JUST the header and bumper to make the change you want.

You would also need the inner bumper core support, the bumper filler panels, all of the hardware for the bumper and header, the bumper mounting brackets and the energy absorbing pistons. Also, since the '75 has trim on the tops of the fenders, you would need to either add the header pieces to the '76 header (I would NOT do that) or remove the trim from the fenders and fill in all of the mounting holes. Something else to keep in mind is that the '75 has the amber marker lights on the fenders and the '76 does not. You could simply leave these as is or you could also upgrade to a set of '74/'75 cornering lights that have these lights incorporated into them as well. I think it would give it more of a '76 look than the standard marker lights on the '75. If you are trying to actually convert the car into a '76, there are a handful of other things you'd have to change, starting with the taillight lenses, trunk lip moulding, rear impact strip, etc, etc, etc. Totally your call. Sorry for rambling on but these cars are my passion and so I can talk about them all day

John

Originally Posted by caddy
Good catch John... I found the parts for a 1976 if anbody still looking... Will check for the 1975 parts this weekend...
Thanks Caddy Do you have a parts car or did you find a '76 98 in a nearby yard?

Originally Posted by jcloms
Hi Jcloms. I just emailed you as well.
Old December 27th, 2012, 03:29 PM

Will IM you...
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:28 PM
this is stressing me out

Sounds good john. Do you mind if I call you to discuss some things? Thank you. Pm me if so. -Scott
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:58 AM

Sounds good john. Do you mind if I call you to discuss some things? Thank you. Pm me if so. -Scott
Hey Scott,

PM sent.
John
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

What's IM?
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:48 PM

instant message
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Does that have gray leather w/a silver metallic kinda' look to it with red dash & carpets ?.

I had a 75 Toro Brougham in that combo .....

The color of the seats reminded me of something a space suit would have been made out of.
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:07 PM
this is stressing me out

Lol yes, except instead of the carpet being red its the same metallic silver. This is the first car I have ever had where the interior is actually silver, and not gray. It's hard not to go with a metallic silver vinyl top, but I think off white will compliment it more.

John, I got your pm. Thank you
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

A guy I used to know (Fred Robinson) had that exact color combo on his 76 Regency. Only I think his roof was Burgandy? I always thought it was an incredibly stylish car. Not sure if I would change the roof to white or silver though; it wouldn't match the interior theme unless you change the carpeting. Are you saying even the dash is silver? I would have thought it would be red.
Old December 29th, 2012, 05:08 PM
this is stressing me out

Allan, there is nothing maroon in the car. It is all silver. The only thing maroon/burgandy on or in the entire car is just the vinyl roof, thank God. The dash is silver. A common vinyl top on an all silver car was black. I've seen them on a couple 76 nintey-eight coupes, and on a 76 buick electra 225 coupe. I preffer white. I have seen 1 76 nintey eight coupe that was triple silver, or silver top, car and interior.
Old December 29th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's amazing. Can you post a pic of the interior for posterity? I would love to see how that looks in the car. I've seen the standard colors - black, blues, reds, browns/tans, greens but never silver.

Just so you know, I'm also a fan of the big 98's. My last 'real' biggie was my 73 Custom Cruiser. It was built like a tank, not as luxurious as the 98.

I agree with you about the front end styling on the 76 - it's one of the nicest I've ever seen.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
That's amazing. Can you post a pic of the interior for posterity? I would love to see how that looks in the car. I've seen the standard colors - black, blues, reds, browns/tans, greens but never silver.

Just so you know, I'm also a fan of the big 98's. My last 'real' biggie was my 73 Custom Cruiser. It was built like a tank, not as luxurious as the 98.

I agree with you about the front end styling on the 76 - it's one of the nicest I've ever seen.
I can't argue with you on that point Allan! I've always thought the nose of the 76 98 was the nicest of any year 98. Of course I am a bit biased too lol.

Scott, sorry I missed your call. I'll try to give you a call back tomorrow. I'd also really like to see pics of the interior of your 98. Are you keeping the car silver? Silver with a silver, black or burgundy top is common but I've never seen the white top on a silver car.

John
Old December 30th, 2012, 02:54 PM
this is stressing me out

Next time I am over there I'll get a few pics of the interior. The 75 front to me looks really "disco" 70's. A bit gaudy in areas it should not be. Thanks for the call john.

Last edited by stressed1; December 30th, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:55 AM

Next time I am over there I'll get a few pics of the interior. The 75 front to me looks really "disco" 70's. A bit gaudy in areas it should not be. Thanks for the call john.
Good talking to you yesterday Scott. Always great to chat with another Ninety Eight guy!

Ha, I agree on that note. I just thought of another item that's different on the '75 from the '76. The chrome trim around the rear window is different. The '76 trim is all chrome while the '75 has the vinyl-like grain. It's funny how much the '75 and '76 are the same and yet so different too. The chrome lip moulding at the bottom edge of the trunk is different too. '75 is very thin while the '76 is much wider.

If you're in touch with Tony (jcloms), he has a white '76 98 Regency coupe parts car and it has the one-year only '76 cornering lights. They are pretty easy to add if you're interested. Just keep in mind, you would need the lights, wiring AND the turn signal switch to make it complete and functional. That would definitely also help make your year conversion more convincing. Or you could always install a set of '75 cornering lights which would allow you to still use the amber marker lights that your car has. The marker lights on the '75 were not available in '76 so it will look a little funny to have those lights with the '76 nose. It is do-able of course.
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Lansing built

more parts

Not mine! Craigslist Toledo Ohio area.
http://toledo.craigslist.org/pts/3509343378.html

Pat
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Not mine! Craigslist Toledo Ohio area.
http://toledo.craigslist.org/pts/3509343378.html

Pat
Thanks for the link Pat!

Hey Scott,

I actually called the owner of this car (his name is Scott as well) and he seems like a pretty nice guy. He's going to use this 98 for a derby (GRRRRRR!!!) and so he's selling what he doesn't need. Unfortunately, he already scrapped just about everything else off the car. He also has a '76 Eighty Eight that he's going to derby (GRRRRRR again!!!). Give him a call. John
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:19 PM
this is stressing me out

Thanks for the link Pat!

Hey Scott,

I actually called the owner of this car (his name is Scott as well) and he seems like a pretty nice guy. He's going to use this 98 for a derby (GRRRRRR!!!) and so he's selling what he doesn't need. Unfortunately, he already scrapped just about everything else off the car. He also has a '76 Eighty Eight that he's going to derby (GRRRRRR again!!!). Give him a call. John
Yikes!

I saw that as well. I figured I could do better on the price elsewhere, as I believed it was high IMO. Again, as we conversed with each other, it's a shame to see these cars go to the derby. I used to never care if the sedans got crushed being I favored only coupes, but now all of them are rare. I noticed too he didn't have any other parts I needed availible. I may have to buy a sedan when one pops up, switch parts, and re sell it to get what I am going for, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Scott
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:34 PM

Yikes!

I saw that as well. I figured I could do better on the price elsewhere, as I believed it was high IMO. Again, as we conversed with each other, it's a shame to see these cars go to the derby. I used to never care if the sedans got crushed being I favored only coupes, but now all of them are rare. I noticed too he didn't have any other parts I needed availible. I may have to buy a sedan when one pops up, switch parts, and re sell it to get what I am going for, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Scott
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm sure you'll find all the parts you need if you keep at it. I don't think you'll need to buy another whole car to accomplish what you want to do. I hate seeing any good cars go to derby because it's just such a terrible way for an otherwise good car to go out. So many very good cars that have a lot of life left in them are completely destroyed and way too often all of their good parts are tossed in a dumpster. It's sad and extremely frustrating especially when you treasure these cars and are faced with an ever decreasing pool of original cars and parts.

John
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:29 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

i agree, i work next to a place called metals recycling where during the summer months, our garage doors are open and the tow trucks scrap cars all day long.. every once in awhile we stop the drivers and buy the cars from them when they really do not belong going to the crusher.. most are actual junk, but sometimes not even close. we once grabbed a 62 corvair from one guy as they have an aluminum manual steering box for hot rod use, and with no fuel tank to speak of shot some laquer thinner into the carb and she ran mint! scott, i left a vm today with you, call back at your leisure. im dying to see that all silver interior as i thought only 79 anniversary trans ams and 78 vette pace cars were the only two gm cars that ever came that way.. now i want one!
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:43 PM
this is stressing me out

Dave, I didn't even check my phone today. I left it at the house.

I was looking, and is a 76 delta 88 wider then a 98? It looks like I could use a header panel from an 88, and just swap in the 98 egg crate grills.
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:56 PM

One of my co-workers mentioned he had met a guy yesterday from Jon's Auto Salvage near Greenbush, MN. He says they have around 2,000 old cars. I gave them a call. The fellow I talked to thinks they have a 76 98. He said he'll take a look and send a couple photos.

Last edited by Rocket331; January 15th, 2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Brain fart

Quick Reply: Help! Need a 76 olds 98 front grill/headlight assembly!