Loose Mirrors on '84 98 Regency

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM

Loose Mirrors on '84 98 Regency

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought an '84 98 Regency and I need to tighten up the side mirrors - it's loose where the mirror housing meet the small "arm" that comes out from the door.

With the mirror (just the glass inside, NOT the housing) adjusted all the way to one side I can see the two screws that need to be tightened, but I can't get at them without taking the mirror and adjustment motors out of the housing.

How do I get the mirror (again, just the glass) off to be able to get to the screws inside?

Cheers,
Kyle

P.S. I've searched all over and found nothing, but if you have a link that would be helpful that's just as good.
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow, can't believe someone hasn't replied to this thread. Power mirrors?

Did you get it fixed? I believe that you have to take the mirror off the side of the car and tighten it. There should be lock nuts on the other side to tighten. GM is just wonderful at hiding stuff so it's hard to fix.

I had a 83 Regency Brougham so I'm familiar with the car. mine had the fibre optic key light too. When the door handles started getting loose, I had to take the door apart from inside to get to the handle mechanicals and tighten them up. Frustration of ownership sometimes.
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
...you have to take the mirror off the side of the car and tighten it. There should be lock nuts on the other side to tighten. GM is just wonderful at hiding stuff so it's hard to fix.
This is the reason the loose passenger mirror on my '86 has a small chunk of rubber hose stuffed between the mirror housing and the base...

I did not want to take the door all apart just to tighten a screw.
Of course this car sees only a couple hundred miles a year...

Eventually I will fix this right and maybe even install the power door locks and "Concert Sound II" speakers that have been in a box in the garage for the past 10 years!
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Past Administrator

The OP hasn't posted since 2007 and then only three times in two days. Too bad, I bet he is gone now. At any rate, I am not pinging on anyone for bringing up an old thread but just wanted to comment on how important it is for us all to try and notice these things and at least respond with some encouragement if we don't have the answer the OP needs. I should not have missed this myself.
Old June 10th, 2016, 10:46 PM

was just reading thru this site and ran across your post...know it is old and you have probably fixed this issue long ago, but maybe this will help someone else out...the top of the mirrors...manual, remote or power are held to the base by two phillips head screws...these do loosen over time causing the bobble head effect as I call it. for power that is what is on my 82 brougham, I removed the glass from the mirror base...GM service manual states to break the glass and get a replacement. With patience and the glue being so old my mirrors came off with no issues. After removing the mirror glass, remove phillips screw from mirror center. Then remove the screws holding the power actuator. You will then have access to remove the screws apply thread locker and reinstall.
Old June 11th, 2016, 06:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wendellrn65
was just reading thru this site and ran across your post...
Welcome. Unfortunately the person who asked the original question hasn't been back to this site since 2008.
Old June 11th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Olds Fever

I know this thread is old, but I have used a Craftsman Flexible Phillips Screw Driver...