Throttle cable needed.

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:16 AM

Throttle cable needed.

Hi, I am looking for a throttle cable for a 1973 Olds 98 with a 455 ci and 4bbl carb. I have been looking for a couple of weeks, so any leads where I can purchase one is appreciated. Thank you for this site and allowing me to become a member. Ray
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:13 PM
2Blue 55

I don't know about where you can find one, but a motor cycle buddy of mine makes them for himself, I don't think it would be hard for you to do if you has the broken origional or size.

hope this helps
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:58 PM

Keith6989,
Thanks, but I would even know how to start. My speciality is computers, but if he was willing to guide me in the right direction that may help. Thanks, ray
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Past Administrator

Ray, does the carb bracket on the back corner of the carb have a square opening? If so, that is the standard setup for the Quadrajets on Oldsmobiles (heck, probably all GMs), I don't think you should have trouble finding one of those from a speed catalogue or someone that sells carburetors/parts/accessories for GM. It would be difficult to fabricate a cable because that square is designed to "lock in" the end of the cable housing at the carburetor end, the housing for the cable has a square boss that fits into that opening. Another option would be to buy a new cable with a bracket to match it, lots of aftermarket throttle cables use a round threaded ferrule on the end of the cable housing that a lockdown nut screws into and it fits into a round hole on the bracket. All you would have to do is measure the length from the firewall hole to the bracket by using a flexible tape or piece or cord, and knowing the legth of the cable from the firewall hole to the foot pedal and have the correct termination on that end to fit the pedal. I hope this is some help.
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
2Blue 55

Hi, yesterday when i was floating around in cyberspace I found this site... I couldn't make heasd or tales of what makes they sell for, but click on the link below, hit products and then throttle cables, i hope that this may help. http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/aboutus.htm
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Past Administrator

Keith, that is some nice stuff there. I like Lokar products and will probably use one of their shifter that mount on the tailshaft of the TH400 instead of the floor of the vehicle, it comes with a nice long shift handle, looks sort of like a manual. Anyway, I would think that second item the "generic black" one would/might work. Definitely worth a try Ray.