Just scored a 1950 98 Futurmatic

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:00 PM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by big mean
You might rethink the accumulators unless you like replacing seals a lot. The stress of of no springs will really kill the seals. Another consideration is dialing in the accumulators on a heavy vehicle, i have heard from a very good source that it can be a pain to get a good ride, even with adjusting the pressure.

I am going to go with hydraulics on my 66 starfire, but am going to run a coil under set-up all the way around with shocks. Only going with 2 switches to raise and lower. Either way, good luck to both of you and the Olds is kicking some serious ****.

Like I said, I had the set up on that Caddy f/ just over 2 years and had no problem w/ the accumulators what-so-ever. It rode great and didn't have to change the original pressure on the accumulators. I mounted the accumulators under the hood, on brackets, and installed shut-offs on each to regulate/adjust the flow. My understanding from the beginning was that they should be mounted close as possible to the cylinder and I never had a bit of trouble. Alot of guys mount them in the trunk and haven't had any problems either. I just went w/ the old basic hydraulic system theory in the use of accumulators, prior to street systems. I think alot of guys don't understand hydraulics overall, the basic concept, and try things that aren't orthodox, ending in problems that they blame components f/ when it's really their improper engineering of the components. I could never own and use hydraulics unless the system had accumulators. It's just too rough of a ride f/ me.
Old January 25th, 2010, 06:32 AM

Even with the cold and snowy weather I managed to get some work done on the Olds.
I removed the seats (to the upholstery shop) and rubber floor mat. Even though the car had no rust on the outside, 30+ years of sitting under a tree with rubber floor mats did a number on the floor.

I had an old hood for metal, just made new floor pans. Since I used flat metal I had to weld some 1"x1/8" supports.

It was supposed to be in the shop getting painted over the weekend. Always a delay or two. Today after work I will paint the entire floor with Eastwood rust stabilizer, while the car is getting its final blocking.
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:07 AM

Got the floor sealed with the rust stabilizer.
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:34 PM

Some motivation now that all the snowstorms have passed (until Wednesday). I took the seats to the upholstery shop, and got the bottom half of the car painted. Here are a couple of pics (excuse the pics it's still in the paint booth).

The top will be painted tomorrow afternoon. Jade green with a heavy green flake.
Old January 31st, 2010, 05:53 AM

Great color looking foward to seeing the finished product. Are you going to re-install the eyebrow? Hope so realy makes the car stand out
Old January 31st, 2010, 07:05 AM

Yea the visor is dissassembed for painting. The framework is painted satin black to add a little contrast. Igot a blowout on one of the tires pulling out of the garage. The tires looked to be in really good shape but were badly dryrotted (huge cracks). I ordered a new set of coker's.

Last edited by frmula505; February 4th, 2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM

I got the top painted today, just a final wetsand and coat of clear.

Polished the chromes I had removed. Only one has some pitting (lower back-up light).
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:23 AM

Look at what the delivery guy just dropped off. H-78-15 Cokers
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Land Yacht Captain

More i need more.
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
More i need more.

No doubt. This thread rocks.
Old February 7th, 2010, 08:13 PM

I got the tires mounted (no pics yet). I got the back bumper on, and the rear lights (tail, backup, liscense) rewired. Also modified to fit 59 caddy lights.
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:11 AM

Talking

Looks great can't wait to see pictures of the whole car
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:32 AM

I'll post whole car pics as soon as possible. We've had one snowstorm after another for the last month or so. It's snowing now. Gonna last until Thursday.
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Texas Jim

Great color, and you're moving along quickly on the work. I'd love to have that kind of time. really, post some pics so we can see the whole car-like citcapp said. I'll pray f/ warmer weather f/ you. Even here in Texas has been cooler than normal. So much f/ global warming...what a lie.
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Well today is fairly nice (my Friday). The next few days look warm and clear. I'll put the last of the parts back on (front bumper/grill, visor, door latches). I also have an old school set of Appletons sitting around the shop somewhere, still debating on those. Have to take the door panels to the upholstery shop (they already have the seats). And I really don't have a lot of time. This car was really cherry to start with. I just sort of live in my garages. Will post better pics this weekend.
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:35 PM

When I got home my visor was ready. Just had to reassemble it. I'll Install it tomorrow.
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Wow!!!!!!!!!
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:57 PM

I got the body all together. Waiting on the upholstery. Then off to get twice pipes with Smithy's.

Old February 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Had one of the local pinstripers (Dray from Santa Fe) come by to work on the Olds.

Old February 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM

Very cool, the pinstriping really sets if off. The pictures really do not do justice to the metalflake though
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:47 AM

Really looks great! Let's hear it for the guys/gals running Smithy's!!! Back in the 50's I had a friend who had one just like yours (actually his parents car); he put straight/cut outs in front of the mufflers. You could hear him coming down the road a mile away, usually with the locals chasing him!!! LOL!
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Texas Jim

The car looks great! You wasted no time on this one, like I said. You should feel really lucky to have the time and money to "go to town" w/ the restore. My hat's off to you f/ the nice paint. You could lower it and have the start (would only need head and tail light work) of a 50s custom. So many ways to go w/ that car. Too cool. Like I said before, I love that engine and those valve covers. I've always liked the engines just after the flat head and just before the OHV system was really refined, alot of things in that era of engine were different. Actually, it wasn't too long ago that all occured, how time flies when the years start to accumulate. LOL.
The weather here in Central Texas hasn't been very warm this winter. We've gotten front after front and the temps have been way below average. The usual wrench turning w/ the doors open just hasn't been happening. I should probably keep my mouth shut, as the summer and 100 plus temps will be here before I know it.
So what's next on the car? Are you done f/ now or are you moving on to more areas? Best of luck.
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Not happy with the stance, want it in the weeds. So I just ordered an air bag set-up. While waiting on the upholstery shop. I'll tear the suspension apart.
Old February 24th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by frmula505
Not happy with the stance, want it in the weeds. So I just ordered an air bag set-up. While waiting on the upholstery shop. I'll tear the suspension apart.
IMO, w/ the original hub caps or funky wheels, that car sitting on the ground will look fantastic. I know the guys who like the originals don't like the idea of modifying that original being, but the oldies dropped are extra cool to me. Keep us posted. So far Soooo cool!!!
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:30 PM

Thought I had pulled a bad F*** UP. As I was installing the tail lights. I dropped one of the back up lenses (They're glas). I ckecked on e-bay found a complete back up light assembly for $60 NOS.

It came with the lenses, bezels, switch, and wiring. My wiring was bare in a lot of places. Ireplaced everything, plus rewired my starter and brake switch.
Before,

After

Another setback. I got the call that my seats and door panels were done. I laid out the carpet I had ordered. It's to small (must be for an 88 instead of a 98)

Have to see if they make it good for me

Last edited by frmula505; February 28th, 2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM

Here is the stance I got with the 4" rear drop once the springs settled (air bags to come soon).
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:07 PM

Thanks guys, Its coming along. Looky what the UPS guy dropped off today.

Now all I need is the tank,switches, and compressor. This kit only ran me $399. Ihas all the brackets lines, and air valves (like on a tire). Manual operation for now. Any one have the parts I need?
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:37 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by frmula505
Here is the stance I got with the 4" rear drop once the springs settled (air bags to come soon).

This pic is killin' !!! Glass lenses, WOW! Lucky find. The car is really looking great. I didn't know that you wee going in that direction originally. That's the way I would have gone. Just a great looking car. One of the best looking cars I've seen in awhile. I think that Citcapp's oldie will be another great looking car. Way to go!!!
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:34 PM

I got all the interior trim painted, tomorrow the dash. I went with the original green and silver two tone. I just used the same emerald green with flake for the top, nad silver with silver micro flake for the bottom.
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Crank that steering wheel to the right, so we can get a look at the wheels!
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:54 AM

I'll get a picture taken when i get home.
they are the stock Oldsmobile,with a 5" bullet.

Last edited by frmula505; March 10th, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM

Excuse the dirty tires, we have had horrid weather this winter. This was before the pinstiping. There is a lot if snow on the ground right now, so no current picture available.
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Future matic?!!

I was around when that car was new. The name is Futuramic.
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by billythekidinny

Back when one make, or model, of car actually looked different than the other. As I look down the line in a parking lot at times, I see a bunch of like rides w/ different brand markings on them and all look plastic and shitty w/ no character, and look very much the same as one another. A head light or tail light may have a different shape, but that's it. This last sentence about the head/tail light... was actually pointed out by my 11 year old daughter. She and I are not only father and daughter, but great friends, and although she's not into cars like I am, she is aware of things "about" cars of yesterday and today, and tomorrow.
My father was a Caddy man, he'd be '98 now if he was alive. He bought a new '53 Caddy, one of afew new ones he bought in his life time, and I remember him saying, that was the best Caddy he ever owned. Something about that particular year. Even though he owned afew new Caddys in the '50s, that was the one he liked, and ofcourse, like I'm saying, there were very distinctive differences in the different shapes/options over that ten year period ('50s), not to mention the Caddys being NOT an "off the line" car.
I like those days more, even though I only caught the end of that era as a kid.
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by billythekidinny
I know I was corrected around the third post. I had the car only a few days when I started this thread. Thanks for the info though.
Also my car is finally getting the upholstery finished. Should be done by the end of the week. The seats and door panels were already done. Will post pics when I get it back.

Last edited by frmula505; March 21st, 2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:33 PM

Went by the upholstery shop to check on my car. It should be ready by Friday. Here are a couple of teaser pics.

Will post pictures when I pick it up

Last edited by frmula505; March 24th, 2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:11 PM
GM Enthusiast

Very nice, cool ride, and great color choice. You need to hurry up and feed everyone's addiction for more pictures!
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM

Got it back from the shop, here's a couple of pictures.
first the headliner.

Here is a shot of the split back seat.

Front area. You can see I painted the top half of the dash the same color as the roof, and the bottom half silver w/silver flake. The dash wraps around onto the front door panel a bit.

Old March 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM

That's looking real nice.
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:13 PM

A little set back. I seemed to take out the rear end this Sunday. The car just stopped pulling. The drivshaft turns, doesn't make it to the wheels. Any Ideas?

Quick Reply: Just scored a 1950 98 Futurmatic