63 98 on Ebay with 4 speed? Factory?

Old January 1st, 2019, 11:49 AM

63 98 on Ebay with 4 speed? Factory?

There is a 63 98 coupe on Ebay with a dual quad and a 4 speed? This can not be factory, can it? I do not ever recall any 98s of this era to have a manual transmission.
Old January 1st, 2019, 12:38 PM

Nice looking car. I did not read it but I don't think it was 4 speed from the factory. I know the shifter is not original. That would be a really cool car to drive around though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Ninety...J~-z:rk:1:pf:0
Old January 1st, 2019, 03:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

I figured it was going to be that black 98 Custom Sports Coupe. Yeah, one-of-none is pretty rare...

That car has been discussed here before, and the owner at the time even told us it was fabricated. No manual trans was offered in the 1963 Ninety Eights. As with all one-of-none cars, the lack of any documentation should be your first hint. And yes, I realize it's a hardtop. Olds called this particular model a Custom Sports Coupe in 1963. Note hydramatic was the only option.

Old January 1st, 2019, 04:32 PM
Phantom Phixer

As Joe said , It's "one of none" .
Olds did , reportedly , experiment with T-10's in full size cars unsuccessfully . However, the T-10 just wasn't strong enough for a two ton car with an engine with gobs of low end torque . Read post #39 in his thread on the H.A.M.B. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/....711270/page-2

Whomever did this was pretty slick . They even managed to find a set of Olds pedals. From the looks of it though , they are 61 or 62 pedals by the shape of the upper bellcrank .
The seller's claim that the car has power brakes is probably not true . The upper bellcrank goes where the power booster should be .
The Edelbrock intake and carbs are obviously aftermarket . As well as the "Offy " valve covers .
The cruise control , while still installed , probably doesn't work either . It doesn't appear to be connected to the throttle linkage .

Here's a shot of the Olds "mousetrap" clutch linkage .

Old January 1st, 2019, 06:31 PM

I won't say for sure but this sure looks like the car my wife and I looked at 2 or 3 years ago here on the South side of Indianapolis. It was a black 98 with dual quads and a 4 speed that someone had fabricated. I put pictures and information on this site and its in the general discussion forum 1-16-'16. If I remember right the paint was not this nice or shiny but seemed to have some weather checking and maybe a little bit of rust here and there but over all a very very solid car.

Last edited by oldspackrat; January 1st, 2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old January 1st, 2019, 06:44 PM
"me somebody" site member

Nice
Old January 1st, 2019, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I won't say for sure but this sure looks like the car my wife and I looked at 2 or 3 years ago here on the South side of Indianapolis. It was a black 98 with dual quads and a 4 speed that someone had fabricated. I put pictures and information on this site and its in the general discussion forum 1-16-'16. If I remember right the paint was not this nice or shiny but seemed to have some weather checking and maybe a little bit of rust here and there but over all a very very solid car.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...8-4-speed.html
Old January 1st, 2019, 06:57 PM

I don't really think that it matters if it was fabricated. I think it is presented well, is very unique and would be loads of fun. I don't know if the seller will move it at the listed opening bid, but more power to them if they can.
Old January 1st, 2019, 07:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thank you! Geeze, I've spent most of the evening searching for that thread.
Old January 1st, 2019, 07:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
I don't really think that it matters if it was fabricated.
It matters to the extent that the seller is implying (without actually saying it) that the car is a rare factory build. This photo from Scott's 2016 thread makes it pretty obvious this isn't a factory install.

Old January 1st, 2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I figured it was going to be that black 98 Custom Sports Coupe. Yeah, one-of-none is pretty rare...

That car has been discussed here before, and the owner at the time even told us it was fabricated. No manual trans was offered in the 1963 Ninety Eights. As with all one-of-none cars, the lack of any documentation should be your first hint. And yes, I realize it's a hardtop. Olds called this particular model a Custom Sports Coupe in 1963. Note hydramatic was the only option.

Hydramatic was standard there was no optional transmission on a 98.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 06:33 AM

I missed where the seller implied it was a factory 4 speed car, nor do I think he implied anywhere that the "Dual 4 Barrel Edelbrock Carbs with progressive linkage" specified in the auction description were factory installed. If someone wants to assume any of that, I don't think he's obligated to convince them otherwise in his auction description, esp. if he's not an Oldsmobile historian or doesn't know the history of the car. He could simply shrug.

On the flip side, I've had people accuse my factory 4 speed Jetstar I of being "cobbled together since Olds ever made one", and I have never tried to convince them otherwise.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 06:34 AM

Big Olds with manual transmissions were rare indeed but in the summer of 61, my dad was working a pipeline job in Western Iowa, just out of Council Bluffs. The Olds dealer there had a 61 Super 88 bubble top with a four speed. Don't know if it was factory or if the dealer had replaced the three on the tree with the T10 but it had the same shifter as the Chevy four speeds of that era.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 09:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
I missed where the seller implied it was a factory 4 speed car,
Well, other than the title of the ad...

1963 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight RARE 4 SPEED

Old January 2nd, 2019, 10:35 AM

It is indeed rare...also equipped with the dual Edelbrock carbs as it is.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 10:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
It is indeed rare...
Kind of what I said in post #3 - all one-of-none cars are "rare".
Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:09 AM

I had a factory 3-on-the-tree in a 1960 Super 88
Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
I had a factory 3-on-the-tree in a 1960 Super 88
A three-on-the-tree was the base trans in the D88 line through the 1971 model year. The issue is the Ninety Eights.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 12:58 PM

While the op references a 98, edzolz's post (#13) of "Big Olds with manual transmissions were rare indeed" did not limit the discussion to the 98 model.

I was merely pointing out that in 1960 one could get a "big Olds" with a manual tranny.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 11:58 AM

It's nice to see a Oldsmobile big car with correct Oldsmobile pedals. A few of the cars around purported as factory builds have Chevy pedals, which is a glaring error. The one observation I would add to this discussion is SM trans is also base equipment on S-88 as well as D-88 in 1963. Also, no 'heavy-duty' clutch option in '63, now standard equipment.

Reference: Oldsmobile Facts Book - 1963

Old January 3rd, 2019, 12:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coldwar
I think the most relevant part of this is the rear axle ratio chart that shows Synchromesh as N.A. on the Ninety Eight.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I think the most relevant part of this is the rear axle ratio chart that shows Synchromesh as N.A. on the Ninety Eight.
Also too, no four speed in big cars in 1963 evidenced in facts book. You can see the aftermarket adapter alloy bell housing in addition to the home brew steel plates to pick up the rear motor mounts in the one view of four speed transmission in the sale car. The adapter BH's do not include factory located motor mount hole provisions for factory Oldsmobile applications. Three speed is the monkey-motion selector column shift trans, while this build has a nice efficient transmission mounted floor shift, four speed with adapter BH has a front bearing retainer bolted on the transmission, the selector box still has the floating front bearing retainer captured in a machined recess in BH in 1963. Fun to see and drive but four speed in no way factory on many points.
Old January 4th, 2019, 05:07 AM

Very cool car!

Any transmission has got to be better than the OE Slim Jim slush box!
Old January 6th, 2019, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar
The one observation I would add to this discussion is SM trans is also base equipment on S-88 as well as D-88 in 1963. Also, no 'heavy-duty' clutch option in '63, now standard equipment.

Reference: Oldsmobile Facts Book - 1963
Making the SM standard equip on the D88 & S88 was a smart move by Olds. Since nobody wanted one, it allowed them to get another $200 (+ or -) for the hydra-matic on each car sold.