1959 blower motor

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2018, 03:24 PM

1959 blower motor

I finally got my heat working. Got vacuum controls all set, changed heat control valve. Now had heat and vents. Only the defroster was not directing up to vents.

So I ran the heater on high blower for 15 minutes or so then it just cut out blowing.

Vacuum still works to switch, vents work. So seems vacuum is still good. Checked fuse on blower is OK. Could the motor or the switch in the dash just gave up after working hard for 15 minutes?

Going to check the power to the blower but man this is frustrating. Got the vacuum working right over the summer and just got the heat control valve working yesterday, Heat was blowing hot so hot it was driving me out of the car. The hot cold lever worked and reduced the heat. Took car out again today and pushed the heat good for 15 minutes and then it quit blowing.

Last edited by gkhashem; October 31st, 2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old October 31st, 2018, 06:13 PM

On a '57 there is another blower switch, under the hood above the heater, controlled by vacuum. Check if you have this piece.
Old November 1st, 2018, 05:17 AM

Well not sure about another switch but the car was started this morning from cold. I got her up to temperature and it worked. Low and high blower and nice heat. Also heat can be lower or raised. So it seems to be working fine after sitting overnight. So maybe the blower motor is overheating after being pushed on high for an extended time and cuts off.

Can that happen? If so not sure how I can test for that. Unless I push it again to the max for sufficient running time.

I think it may be the master switch or the blower itself. Do not see a master switch anywhere to buy if it is the blower motor boy what a pain to get at. You need to remove the hood hinge I guess.

Last edited by gkhashem; November 1st, 2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old November 1st, 2018, 03:50 PM

I know little on 59's but could you run a jumper off of a battery charger or other electrical source to the heater blower bypassing all the switches, wires and relays and also eliminating engine heat . This would at least let you know if it was a blower motor issue or something in the wiring system getting hot and messing with the connections.... Just a thought...... Tedd
Old November 9th, 2018, 05:49 AM

Well the issue was the ignition switch since all the accessories were acting strange. On then off. Radio, wipers, blower motor and power windows.... When cold it worked after a while they quit.

Switch was getting hot, so my electrical guy put new connections on and we will watch the switch. If it still overloads we I will change it with a NOS switch. I guess he stated in the day this was common on the older cars. Sometimes you can just put on some nice new brass connectors and it will take care if it.

If not then we put on the new switch.