New owner (1964 Ninety-Eight)

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2018, 08:59 AM

New owner (1964 Ninety-Eight)

Hey fellas. I just purchased a 64 98 4 door.
Any advice from you guys would be great. I go through a lot of cars so unfortunately this wont last long either.
It does have a few issues that I need to address ASAP

The a/c compressor doesnt run
rear dif has a severe leak
while driving, when you press the brakes, it pulls to the left pretty hard (suspension seems very floaty)

Its has 88k original miles.

Old September 16th, 2018, 09:48 AM

Welcome, very nice car. The first thing you should do is buy an original factory service manual. Second, use the search feature and look up the issues you have since they have been discussed here before. Do you intend to work on the car yourself or farm it out to a shop?
Old September 16th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome to Classicoldsmobile !
I think that your next purchase should be a 1964 olds shop manual . They are available on E-Bay ;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...anual&_sacat=0
It's a 5 volume set that covers all 64 Oldsmobiles .

I would recommend that you remove all brake drums , and inspect the brake system carefully . Since you may not know the history of the car .
Peel the rubber boots back on the wheel cylinders and look for moisture or rust . Any leaks call for a complete overhaul of the hydraulics in the brake system . The brake shoes , if worn to less than half of their original thickness , should be replaced . If the shoes are replaced the drums should be re-machined . (turned) .

The A/C compressor not running could be as simple as not enough Freon in the system . There is a switch that shuts off the compressor if the Freon pressure is low . Hook up a guage to the system and see if you have less than 20 PSI . If you do , then the system will need to be checked for leaks , repaired if necessary , and re - charged .

Is the rear leaking at the center , or at one of the wheels ? In any case seals or gaskets will need to be replaced .
The shop manual will tell you how .

Come and join the "darksiders" at this thread :https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ers-unite.html
Old September 16th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

What a lovely car! Floaty rides are a trademark of the land yachts, and that interior looks almost new. Is the car in the 'survivor' category, like original paint etc?
Old September 16th, 2018, 10:28 AM

Thank you so much for the feedback already! Will be using the search option soon.

The shop manual applies to all 1964 Oldsmobiles? I found someone locally who will do the work on brakes/ac/oil leaks. I do paintless dent repair so i'll be taking the door dings out and cleaning up the outside for themost part.

The only other two things i've noticed were the bench seat not moving front or back ( i think the gear might be worn) and the sunvisors are stuck loose (dont stay up). I'll do a search on them soon.

The car is all original, or seems to be. Orignal paintwork, no sign of horrible repairs. All paint matches as well, but will find out more once i get it detailed and cleaned up more.
Old September 16th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Old September 16th, 2018, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Awesome. Thank you so much! Should i email them or buy it directly from a chevy dealer?
Old September 16th, 2018, 10:59 AM

Thanks Allan. I just emailed them.
Old September 16th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Before you buy anything, there are small phillips head screws on the visors at the hinge end of the visors. Try tightening this screw first.
Old September 16th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by nspec

The shop manual applies to all 1964 Oldsmobiles? I found someone locally who will do the work on brakes/ac/oil leaks.
Yes, It's a five book set that covers all models from the F-85 to the 98 . Both chassis and body .
Take it with you when you have the car serviced . If the guy tells you that he doesn't need it because he already knows everything about these cars .
Then take the car somewhere else .
Old September 17th, 2018, 05:23 AM

Welcome, that's an awesome car.
Old September 17th, 2018, 06:35 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Model 3819. I had one in triple black. Looks to be well optioned.
Old September 17th, 2018, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by btw
Model 3819. I had one in triple black. Looks to be well optioned.
Thanks! I saw your response on the other thread. Haven't been on forums for a while and I remember some requiring an introduction thread in the newbie section

Anyways, if you are able to, please delete the other one.

Old September 17th, 2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Keep in mind that Fusick, as great a parts source as they are, gets you coming and going. They have a standard handling charge of $3 per order, and the minimum shipping charge is $12, even though they could probably ship something like this in a business envelope with a 49 cent stamp on it. So there is a minimum $15 charge from Fusick before you even open the catalog. These four little pieces of sun visor sleeve plastic, if that's all you buy on one purchase, will cost you $21.50.
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Keep in mind that Fusick, as great a parts source as they are, gets you coming and going.
And while I appreciate what Fusick has done for the hobby, the reality is that their pricing is sometimes creative. I still struggle with charging $30 for the same Anchor motor mount in the same Anchor box that I can get for $4 from RockAuto.
Old September 17th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

X2 on that Joe and you were very polite in referring to their pricing as "creative".
Old September 17th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Oldsdruid

Is it power seat? and then is it 2-way, 4-way, or 6-way? Diagnosis and repair DO differ between them. The 5-volume shop book will show you how.

Does the motor run when you toggle the switches? If you hear a click when you move the switch, the solenoids are working. Those engage a "dog gear" in the seat transmission that then actuates the drive cables to move the seat. The 4-way bucket seats seem to be notorious for losing their grip and letting the seat slide backwards after you adjust it.