1955 98 Holiday Coupe-Stock or Mod?

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2018, 08:53 AM

1955 98 Holiday Coupe-Stock or Mod?

In your opinion, do you believe that mild modifications on these cars (the ones that enhance the ride of the car such as disc brakes, upgraded front suspension, new steering) increase or decrease the values of these cars. They certainly improve the drivability of the car, but how does it affect the value? Most things that I’m thinking of adding can be removed and allow the car to be brought back to life easily enough.

To be honest, this 1955 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Coupe looks beautiful, but also rides, steers and stops just like a 1955 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Coupe.

My car already had the interior changed to a custom diamond pattern, generator replaced by alternator, aftermarket ac (that needs replacement) and a flow master muffler. All can easily switched back to stock, but I was thinking of updating the suspension, steering and brakes to more modern components. My car originally came equipped with a 2 way power seat that I am upgrading to a 6 way power seat (so that my 6’5” frame can fit in the car...properly).
Old August 28th, 2018, 09:58 PM
Oh no, not again...

My experience has always been stock sells better than custom, usually because there's always something not quite right on the custom or it only appeals to a certain type of person. That said, some guys will definitely go after the resto-mods because of modern running gear and enhancements. But Custom cars tend to be a matter of personal tastes; stock tends to appeal to a larger demographic.
That's just my opinion...
Old August 29th, 2018, 06:05 AM

If you are trying to win a trophy at an Olds show, keep it original. If you just want to enjoy a cool car (sounds like that’s what you are after) then do what you want to make that happen.

Old August 29th, 2018, 02:37 PM

With all the mods already in place, do what you want to make it what you would like and not worry about it. As you say/note, it can always be returned to stock,
Old August 29th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by jozw30
If you are trying to win a trophy at an Olds show, keep it original. If you just want to enjoy a cool car (sounds like that’s what you are after) then do what you want to make that happen
Exactly. I don't pretend to think that my poor old 56 four door sedan is ever going to be worth anything, but my intention has been to keep it as original as possible. Having said that, when I read your post, I started thinking about all the things I have done to my car to make it more enjoyable for me: New interior (not stock), radial tires, spin on oil filter, electric wipers, seat belts.

Again, do whatever you want to do and enjoy your car.
Old August 29th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Oh no, not again...

I'd have to agree with the other posters; if your goal is to just enjoy it and resale isn't a concern, then do what makes you happy.
In reality, unless the car is in top-notch condition and a desirable model, the difference in value between a stock job and a slightly modded car is negligible. It helps the car if the enhancements help the drivability of the car or make it more comfortable. For instance, my 53 Super 88 doesn't have A/C and never did, but I'm thinking of tossing an aftermarket unit in there. As long as it doesn't look totally stupid and out of place, it'll neither help or hinder the resale value of the car.
Enjoy your car!
Old August 29th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have done things to my 54 like adding AC, an alternator, aluminum radiator, electric fuel pump and radial tires. All of these could be undone but they make the car more fun to drive and safer. I forgot the dual exhaust. My car, my money and I like it. Frank I forget about the light in the rocket on the hood.
Old August 30th, 2018, 02:49 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I have done things to my 54 like adding AC, an alternator, aluminum radiator, electric fuel pump and radial tires. All of these could be undone but they make the car more fun to drive and safer. I forgot the dual exhaust. My car, my money and I like it. Frank I forget about the light in the rocket on the hood.
Glenn, how did I forget the afterburners??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Afterburner4.jpg (23.6 KB, 4 views)
Old August 30th, 2018, 05:34 PM
Oh no, not again...

I gotta get me a hood ornament like that! Love it!
Old August 30th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is pretty easy Nailhead and the cost is less than 10 bucks. Frank has a twin engine just on his 56 but my 54 and your 53 are only single engine. One of my post when were going on about this had an Amazon link with the LED light.
Old August 30th, 2018, 09:59 PM

Besides safety upgrades, such as a dual master cylinder, front disc brakes, or radial tires, I would keep it stock.
Old August 31st, 2018, 03:17 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by redoldsman
It is pretty easy Nailhead and the cost is less than 10 bucks. Frank has a twin engine just on his 56 but my 54 and your 53 are only single engine. One of my post when were going on about this had an Amazon link with the LED light.
Nailhead, here's the whole story about how the hood ornament light came about.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...luxe-88-a.html
Old August 31st, 2018, 07:13 PM
Oh no, not again...

Thanks Frank, I'm going to see about doing that with my 53.