1968 98 engine options - ClassicOldsmobile.com

1968 98 engine options

Reply

 
 
 
Old July 13th, 2018, 02:03 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 366
1968 98 engine options

Hey guys what's the verdict with the 68 98's. Did they all have 455 or did some have the 425??

this one is a convertible I'm looking at if that matters.

Ronnie.
RocketRonnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 03:26 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: southern New Mexico
Posts: 11,815
The 455 replaced the 425 for the '68 model year. There was no model year in which both were offered. The 425 was the largest engine from 1965 through 1967, with 455 the largest from '68 through '76. If the 98 you're looking at has it's original engine, it can only be a 455.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 13th, 2018 at 04:40 PM.
jaunty75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 03:50 PM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by jaunty75 View Post
The 425 replaced the 455 for the '68 model year. There was no model year in which both were offered. The 425 was the largest engine from 1965 through 1967, with 455 the largest from '68 through '76. If the 98 you're looking at has it's original engine, it can only be a 455.
<br />Thanks I've always wanted a 425 and now this car popped up so I went online and saw a guy on the hamb talking about a 68 with a 425 so I had to run it through you guys... cant believe everything online,, funny because Joe P was on that very thread schooling people who there who were giving wrong info.<br /><br />oh well this 98 still looks appealing, ever since I got rid of the 63 f85 convert I told my self next convertible I get has to be a big car with a body on frame.<br /><br />Might pick this up. <br />I. Suppose that 1968 was a good year for the 455 right?<br />

Last edited by RocketRonnie; July 13th, 2018 at 03:52 PM.
RocketRonnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 04:12 PM
  #4  
Registered User
 
jcdynamic88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: central massachusetts
Posts: 934
Originally Posted by jaunty75 View Post
The 425 replaced the 455 for the '68 model year. There was no model year in which both were offered. The 425 was the largest engine from 1965 through 1967, with 455 the largest from '68 through '76. If the 98 you're looking at has it's original engine, it can only be a 455.
i'm sure you mean the 425 was replaced by the 455 in 68,there is nothing wrong with a 425 tho,they are a great engine
jcdynamic88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 04:40 PM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: southern New Mexico
Posts: 11,815
Originally Posted by jcdynamic88 View Post
i'm sure you mean the 425 was replaced by the 455 in 68
I fixed my comment! Thanks.
jaunty75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 04:43 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: southern New Mexico
Posts: 11,815
Originally Posted by RocketRonnie View Post
I. Suppose that 1968 was a good year for the 455 right?
I don't think there were any "bad" years for the 455. They were all good years. The latter year (mid-'70s) versions tend to be less desirable because they were detuned for emissions purposes. The '68 455s were the first ones and therefore probably among the more desirable.


I'm wondering what the big deal on this is, anyway. The car you're looking it is a luxury-barge land yacht. It will float down the road like a living room on wheels. It's a big, heavy car. It has the big engine for a reason. It's not a performance car. As long as the engine is in good tune and running well, be happy and enjoy the car. That's all anyone who purchased one back in 1968 did.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 13th, 2018 at 04:49 PM.
jaunty75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 05:28 PM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by jaunty75 View Post
I don't think there were any "bad" years for the 455. They were all good years. The latter year (mid-'70s) versions tend to be less desirable because they were detuned for emissions purposes. The '68 455s were the first ones and therefore probably among the more desirable.


I'm wondering what the big deal on this is, anyway. The car you're looking it is a luxury-barge land yacht. It will float down the road like a living room on wheels. It's a big, heavy car. It has the big engine for a reason. It's not a performance car. As long as the engine is in good tune and running well, be happy and enjoy the car. That's all anyone who purchased one back in 1968 did.
no big deal I want exactly what you described. Just asking those who owned one.
RocketRonnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 06:05 PM
  #8  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 30,603
Originally Posted by RocketRonnie View Post
Hey guys what's the verdict with the 68 98's. Did they all have 455 or did some have the 425??

From the 1968 SPECS booklet. Only ONE engine was factory installed in the 1968 Ninety Eights - the L31 365 HP version of the 455.


joe_padavano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 06:26 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Fun71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,768
Originally Posted by jaunty75 View Post
It will float down the road like a living room on wheels.
I love this description.
Fun71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 06:45 PM
  #10  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 366
Funny description huh but I get it
RocketRonnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 06:47 PM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
From the 1968 SPECS booklet. Only ONE engine was factory installed in the 1968 Ninety Eights - the L31 365 HP version of the 455.


thanks Joe.
do you or anyone know where or how hard it's is to get a front windshield for this car..

and are they all the same windshield as in the 4 door, coupe and convertible?.
RocketRonnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 11:37 PM
  #12  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 366
I could not find any windshields on ebay
RocketRonnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 05:03 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
jcdynamic88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: central massachusetts
Posts: 934
have you tried your local glass company?i dont think a glass company will have any trouble coming up with a windshield for that car
jcdynamic88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 10:06 AM
  #14  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: southern New Mexico
Posts: 11,815
Originally Posted by jcdynamic88 View Post
have you tried your local glass company?i
I second this suggestion. Try Safelilte or a local auto glass company. They may say no, but you'd be surprised what these companies can still come up with. I checked the Safelite website just now, and, while I didn't go all the way through the selection process because I don't actually have a car that needs glass, they do go back to 1968 when selecting the year, make, etc. of your car. Can't hurt to check.
jaunty75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 02:19 PM
  #15  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by jaunty75 View Post
I second this suggestion. Try Safelilte or a local auto glass company. They may say no, but you'd be surprised what these companies can still come up with. I checked the Safelite website just now, and, while I didn't go all the way through the selection process because I don't actually have a car that needs glass, they do go back to 1968 when selecting the year, make, etc. of your car. Can't hurt to check.
Thanks for the great idea
RocketRonnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 02:19 PM
  #16  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by jcdynamic88 View Post
have you tried your local glass company?i dont think a glass company will have any trouble coming up with a windshield for that car
thanks for the great idea JC
RocketRonnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 06:02 PM
  #17  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 366
How about bumpers for the 98. Any interchanges with other gm cars.
RocketRonnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 06:40 PM
  #18  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 30,603
Originally Posted by RocketRonnie View Post
How about bumpers for the 98. Any interchanges with other gm cars.
1968 Ninety Eight and Delta 88 only. In the 1960s GM did not share sheet metal across divisions and years the way they did in the 80s when they stopped trying.
joe_padavano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 12:37 AM
  #19  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
1968 Ninety Eight and Delta 88 only. In the 1960s GM did not share sheet metal across divisions and years the way they did in the 80s when they stopped trying.
When they stop trying lol, thanks Joe. This guy i was talking on the phone with said he used the 68 nighty eights bumpers on a cadillac and i couldn't wrap my mind around it.
RocketRonnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 08:04 AM
  #20  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 30,603
Originally Posted by RocketRonnie View Post
This guy i was talking on the phone with said he used the 68 nighty eights bumpers on a cadillac and i couldn't wrap my mind around it.
Find out what he's smoking...



joe_padavano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 07:44 PM
  #21  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RocketRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: , CA
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
Find out what he's smoking...


yeah lol. Defintaly not a match. That's a sharp 98.
RocketRonnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 05:55 PM
  #22  
Olds Collector
 
vistacruiser1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 352
Hi Kenneth: We called my 1984 98 Regency 4 door our "couch on wheels". My wife rode in the middle of the back seat with a kid on either side. That was a nice car and miss it. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
vistacruiser1971 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
NP 70 442
Parts Wanted
1
March 25th, 2018 06:19 PM
boomer121663
Cars For Sale
0
December 15th, 2016 06:44 AM
olds3031
Cars For Sale
2
May 28th, 2014 06:43 AM
Shrevy
Cutlass
13
October 6th, 2013 10:48 AM
11971four4two
Cars For Sale
10
July 5th, 2012 10:34 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1968 98 engine options


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.