98 Newbie

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2017, 08:31 PM

Talking 98 Newbie

Hey all!

I am new to the Oldsmobarge community and wanted to say hi!

I am not new to Oldsmobile (Had a '67 Cutlass Ragtop in highschool) and not new to message boards as The GNTTPYE.org community was an amazing resource for knowing about the Buick Grand National, and was instrumental when I was having fun with my '86 GN.

Having done a few Buicks in the past, I love the GM interchangeability, it rocks. I have poked around on the web and learned a lot. Any guidance here with future mods is more than welcomed!

I recently bought a 1970 98 Ragtop. The car is all there, never been cut at all. No rot.

First, I want to allow it to breathe - (can you breathe through one nostril?) So I bought a driver side manifold from Thornton; excellent company, the darn thing arrived the next day. Amazon Prime couldn't do that if they tried. They maintain this the correct piece (http://thorntonmusclecars.com/produc...aust-manifolds) for adding duals to the car and I don't doubt them, but does anything else need to be modified or changed before I take the car to my local exhaust guy? (Oil Dipstick, etc)

Second, I want to tighten it up just a little. Seeing as the steering is unconventional on these cars, (the sway bar is fished through the control arms) are there other parts that swap, or aftermarket alternatives? What rear bars would swap in to the lower control arms out back?

That brings me to hearing that the front rotors for these cars are like finding a fart in a snow storm. I am learning that the C3 (68-81) Vette spindles will swap in and allow for that brake/rotor assembly (4 piston calipers and easy parts) - seems very "generous motors" and believable - has anyone done this swap? Aside from the lug bolt circle being 4 3/4" ... thoughts?

Okay that's enough for now! More to come!

Sorry for being long winded!

Any and all comments are welcomed, thank you all in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1587528-29-large.jpg (69.3 KB, 21 views)
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:10 AM

Welcome to the big Olds. On my 65, the shift linkage needed modified for the dual exhaust. It needed a loop to go above the pipe. Somewhere here there is a pic,
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...al-exhaust.htm
Old April 3rd, 2017, 07:30 AM

Chris, when you have the exhaust done you can either have a cap put on the passenger's side manifold or you can remove it and have it welded shut by a competent welder. My father; Oldsguy, had that done when he installed duals on his 69 Delta 88.

I've never heard that parts from a C3 Corvette could be used for the front brakes on the 66-70 B/C bodies. If it works that would be a cool option. FWIW, here's a reputable way to convert your car's front brakes:

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=173

BTW, that is an awesome car!
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:12 AM

Yea, the linkage modification is what i'm worried about. I have purchased a block off plate for the passenger side, as well as the correct manifold form Thornton for the B/C cars to have duals and clear the steering box. I just can't take it in to the shop, have the new manifold installed and then they stop work because of the shift linkage.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:13 AM

Sorry M371961 - that link is dead.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:31 AM

Here's a diagram.

http://www.442.com/tech/tech.html

Ok, that link doesn't work. Click on "Mechanical" at the top of the page and then "Diagram of shift linkage rod for dual exhaust on mid '60S 88/98."
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:46 AM

Thank you!

Crap, I was hoping I didn't have to do that! This is a good example of why these boards rock!