1973 98 fender extensions...

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2017, 06:25 PM

1973 98 fender extensions...

looking for MAYBE replacement RUBBer fender extensions for my 73 olds 98..i did get replacement ones and they are fiberglass and will work but would like to know if there is a company that makes these out of rubber like factory original...never hurts to ask....

the extensions go around the tail lights....

clean,clean,clean....
Old February 21st, 2017, 06:55 AM

Where did you get the bumper fillers? I know of this company:

http://sandkindustries.com/index.html

Apparently, they don't use fiberglass. However, I would want a bumper filler that wasn't the same material as the OE part. They did after all rot after 30+ years.

My 71 98 had bumper fillers on it originally but they fell apart when I removed the rear bumper. I couldn't find any suppliers for new parts.

BTW, that's an awesome car!
Old February 21st, 2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Where did you get the bumper fillers? I know of this company:

http://sandkindustries.com/index.html
Their catalog doesn't show 1973 Olds 98. Only '74 and up.

Try this site. I've not dealt with them, but they have come recommended to me, and I plan to purchase from them in the near future.

http://www.replica-plastics.com/prod...obile/olds-98/
Old February 21st, 2017, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Their catalog doesn't show 1973 Olds 98. Only '74 and up.
I noticed that; however, their homepage says they cover all 73 and up GM cars. It would be worth sending an e-mail. They may have it cheaper than elsewhere.
Old February 21st, 2017, 04:35 PM

thanks for all the replies and help on this...yes that car is a sweet ride for as old as it is...I bought the fiberglass replacements from replica-plastics and I have not looked into any of the ones you all posted but that will happen when time allows...
Old February 22nd, 2017, 05:56 AM

Thanks for letting us know where you sourced them. Here's the link:

http://www.replica-plastics.com/

Unfortunately, they don't have the bumper fillers for my 71 98.

I guess by 73 the part in question was a fender extension. In 71 it was a bumper filler (more like weather stripping). It would be interesting to know the GM terminology.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 01:36 PM
in love with a '71 98

Thanks for letting us know where you sourced them. Here's the link:

http://www.replica-plastics.com/

Unfortunately, they don't have the bumper fillers for my 71 98.

I guess by 73 the part in question was a fender extension. In 71 it was a bumper filler (more like weather stripping). It would be interesting to know the GM terminology.
Hey Olds64, are you talking about the gasket-type material they used between the quarter or fender and the taillight or headlight housings? Does Fusick not carry that stuff? Even if it they don't sell it preformed, I would think that someone out there remakes those body panel gaskets.

Or I could just be completely misunderstanding what your talking about! I just know that I had to replace my passenger front headlight bucket after a storm knocked a branch down and bounced right off it, denting and cracking the pot metal. Once I found a replacement and removed the original I noticed these body panel gaskets. Mine definitely did not survive the removal and installation. Finding replacement gasket material just hasn't been high on the to do list.

***Beautiful 73 98 you have there Land Yacht! I wish my interior was that nice!
Old March 5th, 2017, 05:57 PM

thanks all for the kudos on the car.. it is a project in the making but it does hit shows in warmer weather..i did roll it a few days ago and put 65 miles on it...nothing like low and slow...or pass everything but a gas station...anyway I am currently working on the pass. side extension for the tail light assy..so we will see how it turns out...thought I would do that side first...just in case I made a slight woops....it is coming along but time consuming...enjoy your day all...till next time..happy oldsmobiling....
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by elwood565
Hey Olds64, are you talking about the gasket-type material they used between the quarter or fender and the taillight or headlight housings? Does Fusick not carry that stuff? Even if it they don't sell it preformed, I would think that someone out there remakes those body panel gaskets.
I replaced the body gaskets between the taillights and rear fenders and the gaskets between the headlight buckets and front fenders. I used the old gaskets as a template and cut new ones from gasket material I got at the parts store.

The part I need is actually an exterior filler that fits between the taillight and the bumper. I tried to fabricate new fillers using a rubber shop mat; however, I couldn't get it to work even though I got the measurements close.

This is where the part is located:

Old March 15th, 2017, 02:47 PM
in love with a '71 98

I replaced the body gaskets between the taillights and rear fenders and the gaskets between the headlight buckets and front fenders. I used the old gaskets as a template and cut new ones from gasket material I got at the parts store.

The part I need is actually an exterior filler that fits between the taillight and the bumper. I tried to fabricate new fillers using a rubber shop mat; however, I couldn't get it to work even though I got the measurements close.

This is where the part is located:

Ohhhhhh sure! I know what you're talking about now. Yeah, I think it would probably be easier to build your own or get lucky finding good ones in a parted out taillight assembly.

Your 98 looks SO good, by the way...love how tough the Soft 8's look on it. How wide did you go on those rims, by the way?
Old March 16th, 2017, 05:14 AM

Thanks, they are just 15" x 7", I thought about going to 15" x 8" wheels but I wanted to make sure they cleared the fender skirt:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...5750/overview/
Old April 23rd, 2017, 07:15 PM

Smile fender extensions...page 2...

well,got the extensions done and have placed one on the car...have many questions as to the way these mount..i will tell you if you do any of these as I did..in fiberglass...TAKE YOUR TIME AND PATIENCE is a virtue...I did not think I would ever get to this point...any way I have a gap around the top and both sides of the chrome bezel..(see pictures)..I am unsure if I need to fill these in or leave them open as they are..i have looked at a bunch of pictures on line but they do not really show this angle...as I said before,these replacements are fiberglass so they ARE NOT PRECISE FIT AT ALL..but they do look good when completed..looking for any ideas on this as I only have one on car and have not started the drivers side yet...thanks and happy cruising...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170422_163539.jpg (1,008.5 KB, 27 views)
20170422_163552.jpg (952.7 KB, 27 views)
20170423_190110.jpg (1.08 MB, 27 views)
Old April 24th, 2017, 05:40 AM

Not to be cruel; but, I would have sent the bumper fillers back. Why do you have the gap? Perhaps you assembled them incorrectly and you just need to go back in and make a correction. If not then the bumper fillers weren't made to very high standards and just don't fit right. I wouldn't want to pay for a part that doesn't fit.

I was prepared to send the headers back when I originally installed them on my 71 98. I didn't want to have to use a BFH to modify something that the manufacturer said would work. Why should you settle for bumper fillers that "sort of fit?"
Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:39 PM

fender extensions.

I was told by the company that re-popped these fender extensions that they were a REPLACEMENT for the original rubber ones produced in 73...so I took it as THEY SHOULD FIT with a LITTLE WORK AND MODIFACATION...as it is now..i have 27 working hours in this project and the ALMOST FIT..i did contact the Alabama co. and sent them picts of them installed on my car and they told me that THEY LOOK GOOD....guaranteed I wont ever order anything from them again but they DO look 100% BETTER than what was there....A BIG GAPING HOLE THAT WAS WHERE THE ORIGINALS USED TO BE...so,i am satisfied as I am the ONLY ONE who it has to please...it is FAR from a 100 point winner but it will turn heads at shows as you know they do not build them anymore...I am satisfied......even when you go from stoplight to stoplight there aint much around here that will keep up with it....
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:26 AM

We're glad that you're pleased. As you said, it's better than not having any fender extensions. Most cars at car shows have little foibles that average folks won't even notice. As I said earlier, my 71 98 is missing the bumper fillers.
Old May 12th, 2017, 09:19 AM

I replaced the bumper fillers on one of my 1984 Ninety Eights with fiberglass fillers from Replica Plastics. I have another set that I've yet to install. It was a bittersweet experience. Replica Plastics is the only company I found that offered a 3 piece rear filler like OEM instead of the 4 piece fillers which has a seam in the center at the license plate. I'm pleased with the fit but ONLY because of my patience and ingenuity to get them to fit. Of the 4 lower fillers (2 sets), none of the holes lined up and I had to send 1 set back because what was supposed to be an edge that would not bee seen after installation was clearly visible because the fabricator cut too much of the fiberglass away. Installing these were a real PIA but the end result is beautiful and lines up perfectly. To add to the difficulty, I had them pre painted by a professional body shop and had to take great care not to damage the paint. I also used thin rubber washers to prevent any squeaking where they are fastened to the body of the car. Would I do it over again? Maybe, and for only 1 reason....they are as close to OEM as anything I have found. I certainly would not do it again based on the craftsmanship or the customer service. After experiencing so much trouble I finally was able to speak with the owner. He was a grouchy a hole that was in the least bit receptive to constructive criticism. He was not sympathetic that he had sold me a product that does not fit well and he was not appreciative of my efforts to help him develop a better fit. He was actually pretty nasty on the phone. I referred a friend to them with a disclaimer and he had the same experience I had with fit and customer service. My advice to anyone considering Replica Plastics is buyer beware and don't expect good customer service.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/g/album/4883574

Last edited by brichar8; May 12th, 2017 at 09:24 AM. Reason: add photo link
Old May 12th, 2017, 09:51 AM

That's awesome that you got your bumper fillers to fit right. They look better than factory!

Too bad that the business owner was a doofus. Definitely wouldn't want to do business with someone like that.
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:26 PM

Thanks Olds64, I'm proud of how well the finished product is in consideration of how difficult it was to get it right. It took a lot of determination. I agree that it looks as good as or better than the original. My gray Ninety eight has the original fillers and the fit looks identical and the replacements are better because they are rigid. Speaking of rigid, that is one other thing that makes installing them difficult, where as the original rubber fillers flex much more and are more forgiving.
Old May 13th, 2017, 12:04 AM

On the 73 98 , i think it came out pretty good myself. Youre right, certainly better than none. I have some fillers original, i dont think for your car specific, but at 40ish years old on some of them, i dont know how well they would work. Some i have seem useable and others so brittle i expect they would break trying to install. And thats NOS. Btw, is that a hillbilly curb feeler in the first finished photo?
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:18 PM

that was a ..and I quote" non-professional body trim gap tool"....lol...I forgot to remove it from pictures....and yes...the 40 + year old rubber seems to turn to concrete and just chips away when touched...but I believe these will work for this vehicle...and as I said in y last post..probably wont do it again on another car....but I am the only one it has to please....and I am...
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by deaddds
Btw, is that a hillbilly curb feeler in the first finished photo?
LoL.

I didn't even know you could still buy those things. I figured they would have gone the way of the 8 track player.

Amazon Amazon