Another Diesel for me. 82 98 Regency Brougham

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2016, 07:46 AM

Smile Another Diesel for me. 82 98 Regency Brougham

I don't know what my thing is for Diesel Oldsmobiles.... I have been after this beautiful triple light Jadestone Green 82 98 Regency Brougham Diesel for about 7 years now, however, the owner did not want to sell it. Well, I guess waiting and keeping in touch does pay off. I got the call that I could come get the car. Needless to say I was there fast. Not because there are 1000 people in line to buy an Oldsmobile Diesel but because I waited 7 years and was not about to wait until the owner changed his mind again. This is a 100% original low mile rust free car including paint, top and that beautiful Brougham interior. I always loved this Jadestone green color combo. It still has it's original Diesel engine, not a replacement which to me is a bonus. I drove the car home and it performed excellent. No issues, so far. The only thing the car seems to need are new bumper fillers but he gave me an excellent set of fillers that he bought years ago for the car. I will keep my fingers crossed as my new 98 Diesel and myself get to know each other. Here are a few photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4179.JPG (2.21 MB, 103 views)
IMG_4183.JPG (1.46 MB, 92 views)
IMG_4180.JPG (1.02 MB, 91 views)
IMG_4182.JPG (1.97 MB, 93 views)
IMG_4181.JPG (2.04 MB, 95 views)
IMG_4184.JPG (1.59 MB, 97 views)
Old November 14th, 2016, 08:22 AM

That's a beautiful car! It's awesome it has the original Olds diesel and not some b@$+@rd Goodwrench engine.

You need to get a fuel / water separator on that car, STAT!
Old November 14th, 2016, 09:46 AM

Very nice. My dad and I played with some of these diesels over the years. I like them and they get great mileage. If the lockup converter is working proper you can see 30+ MPG with them. Our last one had a bad lockup switch and we still got 28 MPG with it. The injection pump don't like todays fuel very well but should still last a long time.
Old November 14th, 2016, 02:01 PM

Nice car!! I am jealous.
Make sure you use a Diesel fuel additive each and every time you fill the tank. I use Stanadyne Performance Formula in all my Diesel vehicles/tractors. You will have to buy Stanadyne via the internet. Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Booster (silver bottle) is a good second choice and can be bought at Wally World.
Old November 14th, 2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by farmer52
Nice car!! I am jealous.
Make sure you use a Diesel fuel additive each and every time you fill the tank. I use Stanadyne Performance Formula in all my Diesel vehicles/tractors. You will have to buy Stanadyne via the internet. Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Booster (silver bottle) is a good second choice and can be bought at Wally World.
Yes, thank you for the tip. The guy said he always put in a fuel additive everytime he filled the tank for years. He left a few new bottles in the trunk for me. He also gave me bottles of some kind of treatment to remove/clearup any water that could get into the tank. I have several of these Oldsmobile Diesels now and I always fill them up at the large stations where trucks come in all the time so I know I am always getting a fresh tank of fuel. I guess some small stations where they only have one pump for diesel, could have old fuel sitting in their tanks for a long period of time. The guy also upgraded the entire exhaust system with a true dual exhaust with much larger pipes and turbo mufflers which makes a big difference in power next to a stock diesel. He said the car will get around 35mpg on the highway with the better flowing exhaust and I believe it. The diesel Olds would get around 30mpg in stock form on the highway from what I read. This one sounds like a big truck. I drove the car to work today and there is no getting around it, you do smell of diesel on your clothing. I always leave the windows cracked open just to move the air around. You can get lightheaded and a little foggy driving with the windows closed, maybe it's just in my mind. You do have to wonder how people could stand the fumes and the noise when the cars were brand new.
Old November 14th, 2016, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie
This one sounds like a big truck. I drove the car to work today and there is no getting around it, you do smell of diesel on your clothing. I always leave the windows cracked open just to move the air around. You can get lightheaded and a little foggy driving with the windows closed, maybe it's just in my mind. You do have to wonder how people could stand the fumes and the noise when the cars were brand new.

Nothing like the smell of Diesel fuel and Diesel exhaust (and the rattle of a V8). Before ULSD (ultra low sulfur Diesel) the smell was much stronger. If you are getting Diesel odor inside, is the exhaust system leaking?
Old November 14th, 2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by farmer52
Nice car!! I am jealous.
pretty much any o'reillys has stanadyne performance additive.and i was told years aog by the guy that rebuilt our 5.7 pumps that it is the only one to use as they make injector pumps and know what works.also if you look at the front top screw on the top cover of the pump if it has a tag with an E on it those are the good nickel pumps.
Old November 15th, 2016, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
pretty much any o'reillys has stanadyne performance additive.and i was told years aog by the guy that rebuilt our 5.7 pumps that it is the only one to use as they make injector pumps and know what works.
Good to know. Next time I am in O'Reilly's I will check their DFA and compare prices. Thanks!
Old November 15th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Administrator

I just poured in a qt of transmission fluid every so often alternating with a qt of cetane.
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I just poured in a qt of transmission fluid every so often
Eric, I've heard of folks with diesel engines doing this. I've also seen a lot of folks talk about additives for fuel in a diesel as well. Seems to me snake oil couldn't replace servicing the engine and keeping your filters and fluids clean. If these products are suspect for gasoline engines then why should they be necessary in diesel engines.
Old November 16th, 2016, 06:14 PM

before the stanadyne we also used to use trans fluid tends to help clean out the injectors.
Old November 16th, 2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
before the stanadyne we also used to use trans fluid tends to help clean out the injectors.
That is what we did. A little ATF each tank. We have an injection pump rebuild shop near us and they said to save our money on anything expensive and just use ATF for these old pumps. They also said 2 stoke oil will work good but they said it is easy to use to much of it.
Old November 17th, 2016, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
That is what we did. A little ATF each tank. We have an injection pump rebuild shop near us and they said to save our money on anything expensive and just use ATF for these old pumps. They also said 2 stoke oil will work good but they said it is easy to use to much of it.
How much is "a little"? DFA when used as directed costs about 1-2 cents a gallon. Does ATF provide fuel stability, dispersants to handle water, cetane improver, or cold flow improver (not needed during summer months)?
Old November 17th, 2016, 03:44 AM

It was just used to lube the injection pump. We were not measuring it to an exact amount. One quart would last about 5 tanks.
Old January 15th, 2017, 04:16 PM

Nice save on the 1982 diesel. Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to know I'm not crazy...relatively speaking. The color looks similar to my 1984 fern gray metallic Brougham. Is the Gold Ninety Eight in your other post yours?
Brady
Old January 15th, 2017, 04:41 PM

A friend of mine just got an 82 diesel 88. I have my eyes on it and hope he will sell it to me sometime in the next year.
Old January 17th, 2017, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by brichar8
Nice save on the 1982 diesel. Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to know I'm not crazy...relatively speaking. The color looks similar to my 1984 fern gray metallic Brougham. Is the Gold Ninety Eight in your other post yours?
Brady
Thanks for the comments. Yes, the gold 81 98 in the other photo is mine too. That car is a gas, I wish it was a diesel too.
Old January 17th, 2017, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie
Thanks for the comments. Yes, the gold 81 98 in the other photo is mine too. That car is a gas, I wish it was a diesel too.
I believe we exchanged emails or maybe even spoke before when you advertised it for sale some time ago. I was interested, but that was before I acquired my three 84's. My 1st cousin as a young mother and wife of a successful entrepreneur drove that exact car. In the 80's they were a symbol of class and having arrived at a certain social status. At the time her mother; my aunt, was driving a gold 1977 Ninety Eight. My Aunt's next Ninety Eight was an 83 Brougham in medium sand gray firemist which inspired my quest to find the same car and which I now have in an 84. I don't need another car, but if at some time in the future you decide to sell it please consider me.
Old January 17th, 2017, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by brichar8
I believe we exchanged emails or maybe even spoke before when you advertised it for sale some time ago. I was interested, but that was before I acquired my three 84's. My 1st cousin as a young mother and wife of a successful entrepreneur drove that exact car. In the 80's they were a symbol of class and having arrived at a certain social status. At the time her mother; my aunt, was driving a gold 1977 Ninety Eight. My Aunt's next Ninety Eight was an 83 Brougham in medium sand gray firemist which inspired my quest to find the same car and which I now have in an 84. I don't need another car, but if at some time in the future you decide to sell it please consider me.
I don't even know why I posted the 81 for sale in the first place but you know why I went for the gold 81 to begin with? My neighbor bought a new 81 98 Regency in this exact triple gold combo but it was a diesel! When I would hear that car come down the street at the end of the day, I would walk across the street and stand in front of the car with my nose stuffed in the front grill so I could get a smell of that new diesel engine. They kept it for about 5 or 6 years until they traded it for a Lincoln Town Car. Needless to say, I did not walk over anymore to smell the Lincoln.. When this triple gold 98 crossed my path, I had to buy it, although it was not a diesel, it was loaded with options including those neat fiber optics. To me, a 98 was a better looking car than the Cadillacs, the Buick Electras and the Lincolns. Those fender skirts did it for me.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 01:30 AM

Love that color!

You are a lucky man. I am jealous. Not that you found a diesel. But that you found an 82 light jadestone metallic Ninety Eight Regency Brougham. I've been looking for one for 13 years and have had no luck. This must be the least produced color that year. I have an 83 Light Grayfern Metallic. And while I love the interior color, the exterior gets called silver or gray by people all the time, which I hate. I want it to be seen as green. Oh well. Maybe one day.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 03:06 PM

Love those interiors!!! Comfort at it's finest!