Brake Booster

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2016, 04:55 PM

Brake Booster

question,
Will a 1967 olds 98 dual reservoir brake master cylinder and booster fit a 1966 olds 98 with out the lines hitting the fender well or brake pedal modifications?

i found a dual master and when i made the lines it hit the fender well so i found another with the lines on the other side and made it fit but what i realized is the the pedal is almost to the floor and if i push it real hard it feels like it is bottoming out.
The car still stops but just does not feel right.
I am planning on buying one of these disk brake conversion kits but want to get this situated first.
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1769.JPG (1.24 MB, 33 views)
IMG_6351.jpg (652.5 KB, 29 views)
IMG_6349.jpg (712.1 KB, 30 views)
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:29 AM

3 years late, but here’s my brake setup

I’ve got a 66 Starfire and a 98 convertible so these brakes are familiar. The 98 is using a ‘71 booster which barely clears the steering column due to diameter, but the depth is just enough. I’ll soon be putting the another ‘71 booster in my Starfire — the factory original just gave up. The 98 uses an 80’s era drum/disc master with plastic reservoir so I can monitor fluid level. The Starfire uses a ‘70 or so dual drum/disc master cylinder.

My mechanic and I have both bashed a rather large “dimple” in the drivers inner fender of both cars to allow the brake lines to clear. As olds did in the later 60’s factory disc cars. Mine just aren’t real nice looking, but I’d rather sacrifice the ugly engine compartment look to get disc brakes than retain the single master drum system these cars came with.

Especially when many cars today have 4 wheel disc and much shorter stopping distances than a mid 60’s Big Olds.

To to finish the picture, I’m using the rare factory 70 rotors and following Joe’s Caddy Rotor thread under the eighty eight forum with interest.
Old May 19th, 2019, 04:46 PM

Not a problem
thanks for the reply
what front disk and calipers will work on the 66/98?
mine is converted to a duel pot master with with stock booster
the pedal is to low and now started to go down slowly so i want to change it all now
Old May 19th, 2019, 05:57 PM

I used '71 calipers on my 98. The 1971 single pot calipers are way more common than the dual pot Olds ones from late 1960's. The big "a-ha" from the conversion was that the more common 1971 calipers would adapt to the 1970 set up with just a bit of filing. On the lower side of the caliper if I remember correctly.

The '71 calipers had to be filed just a bit (not unsafely) to fit properly in the 1970 parts they bolted into (backing plates?). I think the '66 spindles were slightly different too, they either had a boss cast onto them that the 1970 spindles didn't have or vice versa. What I went with was 1970 spindles, 1970 backing plates and (rare) rotors, 1971 vacuum booster, and an 80's era plastic-reservoir master cylinder (I like to see the fluid level). So the brakes at the wheels are 1970 parts between the ball joints, but with 1971 calipers. Hope that makes sense.

I'm still playing around with the right vacuum booster & master cylinder setup. Both of mine work fine, but I'm sort of looking for short length plastic-reservoir disc/drum master bolted to a 1971 booster. I believe in 1966 Olds used an 9" booster. 1966 big cars seem to have used both Bendix and Delco/Moraine systems. What I re-learned was that the 10.75" 1971 brake booster is just a bit deeper than the more commonly reproduced 11" Cutlass booster. The extra depth (horizontal distance from the firewall) on the 10.75" booster is _just_ enough to clear the 1966 steering column. The 98 currently has a pretty long 80's era master cylinder which I'd like to change out to provide more clearance for brake lines. Mine are uncomfortably close to the inner fender. My Starfire has a 70's era disc/drum master and that clears the inner fender better, but I have to open the master to check the fluid levels.

Hope that helps. Still watching Joe P's 88 Forum Cadillac rotor experiment with great interest. It might lead to front and rear discs for me one day. That'd be great!
Old May 19th, 2019, 06:23 PM

That's a lot of good info thank you
I was looking here https://www.classicdiscbrakes.com they have a kit they even have rear disk kit
this is mine and i see what you say about it being close to the column

also, the 66 olds has the speedometer cable that goes through the spindle shaft on the driver's side does the 70 spindles have that?

/

Last edited by The Flash; May 20th, 2019 at 05:18 AM.