64/98 door lock cylinder assembly help!

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2016, 01:15 PM

64/98 door lock cylinder assembly help!

I had the door locks re-coded in my 64 98. I don't think they assembled the pawl correctly in the back. I've got it disassembled, but can't figure out how it is supposed to go. Body manual is not of any help!

A picture of the correct way would be awesome!

Thanks
Adam
Old March 26th, 2016, 02:49 PM

That may be the wrong key you are trying to use? Normally the square/octagonal would be used for the doors and ignition. The key pictured would fit the glove box and trunk.
Old March 26th, 2016, 06:58 PM

No, it's "right". I had them rekeyed so I could have 1 key for the ignition and one for the doors, trunk and glove box. The key turns like it should, it just seems like the cylinder turns an awful lot before the pawl engages. If that makes sense.

Adam
Old March 27th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
That may be the wrong key you are trying to use? Normally the square/octagonal would be used for the doors and ignition. The key pictured would fit the glove box and trunk.
Actually, the octagonal B10 blank and the round B11 blank used for 1966-earlier are identical except for the shape of the head. You can cut a B11 to fit the ignition/doors and you can cut a B10 to fit the trunk. It wasn't until the 1967 model year with the introduction of the A and B blanks that the grooves in the sides of the key blade were different on the round and octagonal blanks.
Old March 27th, 2016, 04:35 PM

My buddy Pat McMillian, a member here, was kind enough to send me a pic of the backside of a door lock like mine. I guess the locksmith had it right. But it still remains why I can't unlock the latch, after locking it with a key. I have to physically manipulate the latch to get it to open. I already have a new latch (from Pat!) and both of my latches work when they are unbolted and in my hands.

Thoughts?

Adam
Old March 28th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1Fastolds
My buddy Pat McMillian, a member here, was kind enough to send me a pic of the backside of a door lock like mine. I guess the locksmith had it right. But it still remains why I can't unlock the latch, after locking it with a key. I have to physically manipulate the latch to get it to open. I already have a new latch (from Pat!) and both of my latches work when they are unbolted and in my hands.

Thoughts?
Lube the latch mechanism. I had exactly this problem with the driver's door latch on my 62. I use the spray-on white lithium grease from NAPA. Lube the mechanism INSIDE the door, not just the part that's visible outside the jamb.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:51 AM

fixed!

I figured out my problem- The outside door handles I recently bought to replace the crusty ones on my 64. They looked identical from the outside, but the plunger that pushes on the latch mechanism was longer on the new ones, which was keeping the latch from returning to its home position, jamming the lock up. So i took the plunger out of the old handle and installed it into the new handle and BOOM! everything works.

Thank you for all the help and guidance,
Adam