64/98 brakebooster and dual mastercyl

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2015, 02:22 AM

64/98 brakebooster and dual mastercyl

Who have these parts as a kit for direct replacement ???

Dont have any luck finding anything.

What I have fitted now is not for restoration, as it is not original (from a unknown sort of car) therefore I would like to source a new booster/mastercyl outright that fits
Old March 31st, 2015, 05:04 AM

Thumbs up booster hunt

Originally Posted by Jandk

What I have fitted now is not for restoration, as it is not original (from a unknown sort of car) therefore I would like to source a new booster/mastercyl outright that fits

hi mate , I understand your struggle as I tried to do the same thing , and came to a dead end , I couldnot find a "rebuilt 64 booster " or kit anywhere!! ebay/dealers etc ... and many of the "big repro" suppliers don't even reply back to you mmmmm , so in the end I bit the bullet and got a spelized brake repairer in Australia who managed to find a diaphragm to repair my unit ...my suggestion would be to find the original type booster and get it rebuilt, good luck
Old March 31st, 2015, 10:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

You are unlikely to find these parts as a bolt-on kit. These cars are not that popular and there is no market for such a kit. You'll need to fabricate something from aftermarket or adapted later-model parts.
Old March 31st, 2015, 11:50 AM

Thanks to both of you... Very usefull answer, that confirms the conclusion I got to.
Old April 1st, 2015, 04:44 AM

Smile

Thanks to both of you... Very usefull answer, that confirms the conclusion I got to.

hi mate , if it is any help there is a booster for a 64 98 on this forumn for sale in the spares section, ....
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:38 AM

Contact Craig at Mobile Parts. He sold me a master cylinder that is a direct bolt-in to go from a single to dual master cylinder. He may have a source or may have a booster for you as well. He knew exactly what cylinder I needed. I'm reusing my booster, but he may have what you need there as well. He has a ton of OEM, NOS, and replacement parts for yours and my car.

He's not on the internet a whole lot. but his phone # is (516) 485-1935. He doesn't accept Paypal, etc. His preferred payment is Postal money order. Or cash if you go to a show where he is at. I bought parts from him over the phone and at Spring Carlisle last year.

Unfortunately, I have not gotten to this project yet. I haven't found an exact fluid junction block, or someone who makes the lines for it. I was going to recreate my lines and use a block off of another vehicle.

Adam
64 Olds 98
olds.gbody@comcast.net
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by aussie oldsmobile 98
hi mate , if it is any help there is a booster for a 64 98 on this forumn for sale in the spares section, ....
Thanks.. Will be considered an option. Thanks god I do have a complete brakesystem, I just dont know whick car its from.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1Fastolds
Contact Craig at Mobile Parts. He sold me a master cylinder that is a direct bolt-in to go from a single to dual master cylinder. He may have a source or may have a booster for you as well. He knew exactly what cylinder I needed. I'm reusing my booster, but he may have what you need there as well. He has a ton of OEM, NOS, and replacement parts for yours and my car.

He's not on the internet a whole lot. but his phone # is (516) 485-1935. He doesn't accept Paypal, etc. His preferred payment is Postal money order. Or cash if you go to a show where he is at. I bought parts from him over the phone and at Spring Carlisle last year.

Unfortunately, I have not gotten to this project yet. I haven't found an exact fluid junction block, or someone who makes the lines for it. I was going to recreate my lines and use a block off of another vehicle.

Adam
64 Olds 98
olds.gbody@comcast.net
That sounds interesting too....

I am from abroad, but I will figure it out if needed, thanks Adam
Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:30 PM

i just bought a stainless brakeline kit for a 63 dynamic from inline tube.com if it helps anyone fits great.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 07:03 PM

Jandk, I just got a 62 Dynamic 88, thinking about the same thing. Im going to look into 67 on up Big Olds, Buick, Caddy with dual reservoir masters. Like Joe mentioned above, it's not "plug and play". Let us know what you come up with. That's my first thought, and it depends to how crafty you are and your time willing to spend, but it can be done. Google is my best friend.......
Old July 4th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dynamic63
i just bought a stainless brakeline kit for a 63 dynamic from inline tube.com if it helps anyone fits great.
63 and 64 full size brake lines are the same, but neither will fit a dual-circuit M/C without mods, which is the topic of this thread.
Old July 4th, 2015, 11:42 PM

In the meantime, I have found a supplier here in Denmark , that are able to supplie a rebuild dual M/C and booster... Havent ordred it yet though.

Thanks all, for your input :-)
Old July 5th, 2015, 06:04 AM

I have been building my own brake lines with Ez Bend by Brake Quip. Its a nickel-alloy product. Several high end European Car mfrs used this on the assembly line. Its good for 3000 PSI and DOT approved.
Old July 5th, 2015, 08:13 AM

Jan, try this guy: http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

You can probably get the correct booster from him, not sure about the mc. When I did this conversion on a 63 Buick Riviera years ago I used a drum brake dual master from a 67 model, Olds should be similar. I do remember there were two different boosters and mc's used, you had to make sure you had a correct matched set. I also used a stainless line set from Inline Tube, they made it up with extra lines for the mc conversion but I had to bend those to fit myself. Good luck.
Old July 5th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Don R.
When I did this conversion on a 63 Buick Riviera years ago I used a drum brake dual master from a 67 model, Olds should be similar.
Not necessarily. The 1963-64 Olds B/C-body cars are completely different from the 1965-70 cars. The boosters are different. I don't know if a later booster will even bolt up. The pedals are definitely different.

The far easier thing to do is to use a 1967-up master cylinder and simply replace the pushrod in the 1964 booster to accommodate the later M/C. Inline Tube sells the shorter pushrods for about $5.
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:29 PM

I will just start this thread up again, to get it clear. I found out that my booster and mastercyl. is from a EU car (dualsystem). This is not that important, as I am getting rid of it anyway, because it has a "high tech" plastic resevoir.

First, What I would like to get clear, is Joe P's input. If I source a 1964 booster for my Ninety Eight, you say that I could fit a dual mastercyl. From a 1967- from a ?? , and it will fit straight on?

Second, as my car is fitted with a very far from original brakebooster assembly, and I have NO idea what is was fitted with back in 64, what kind of brakebooster system should I go for... Bendix or Moraine??
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (1.31 MB, 11 views)
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:33 PM

Now I dont have Bendix or Moraine, does it matter at all which of the two I go for?
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

First, What I would like to get clear, is Joe P's input. If I source a 1964 booster for my Ninety Eight, you say that I could fit a dual mastercyl. From a 1967- from a ?? , and it will fit straight on?
Not quite. From above:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The far easier thing to do is to use a 1967-up master cylinder and simply replace the pushrod in the 1964 booster to accommodate the later M/C. Inline Tube sells the shorter pushrods for about $5.
The GM dual circuit M/C uses a shorter pushrod between the booster and the M/C than does the original single circuit M/C. This pushrod is circled in red below. Note that this is a generic drawing I stole off the web. The factory pushrod is not adjustable like this one.

Second, as my car is fitted with a very far from original brakebooster assembly, and I have NO idea what is was fitted with back in 64, what kind of brakebooster system should I go for... Bendix or Moraine??
The stock booster would have been about a 9" diameter vacuum unit. Either Bendix or Moraine works. Unless you care about correct appearance, you might consider just getting an aftermarket 9" booster that will already have the correct pushrod for a dual circuit M/C. The booster you have currently isn't even GM.
Old March 9th, 2016, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Not quite. From above:

The GM dual circuit M/C uses a shorter pushrod between the booster and the M/C than does the original single circuit M/C. This pushrod is circled in red below. Note that this is a generic drawing I stole off the web. The factory pushrod is not adjustable like this one.

The stock booster would have been about a 9" diameter vacuum unit. Either Bendix or Moraine works. Unless you care about correct appearance, you might consider just getting an aftermarket 9" booster that will already have the correct pushrod for a dual circuit M/C. The booster you have currently isn't even GM.
Correct.... Its from a European car called a Skoda as far as I have researched.

Regarding the other info, I did understand the part about the pushrod, but was refering to ex bolt measurement on the booster for the master.
Correct original appearence, well, I will consider this, I do like the thought about a original rebuild booster with a dual mastercyl. It nice to hear that it dosnt matter if I find a Bendix or Moraine

Thank you for clearing it up
Old March 9th, 2022, 03:45 PM
DIESEL JOEY

Call

Call 1313-963-3839 forgot company but they got my springs for my 64 Olds 98 and have alot of universal parts or original. There in Detroit Michigan,joe

Last edited by JoeyDiesel027; March 9th, 2022 at 03:48 PM.