The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

So I just unexpectedly won this on eBay. Did I make a bad move? Will it be difficult?

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2015, 09:45 AM

So I just unexpectedly won this on eBay. Did I make a bad move? Will it be difficult?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Oldsmob...vip=true&rt=nc

Hello all,

I thought she would go for more than $500. You're all the experts here, what kind of damage am I looking at. I've never really done this before.

Thanks in advance
Old October 28th, 2015, 09:56 AM

You bought an engine- one of the best Olds V8's available, probably.

possibly a trans, esp. if "OM" code [ck tag, driver side]

and $300 worth of scrap metal.

Moving it will be a chore. Aired tires would help. Assuming the brakes are not 100% frozen and you can turn the wheels.

Last edited by Octania; October 28th, 2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old October 28th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, Octania pretty much nailed your scenario.
Old October 28th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Senior Moment Member

Do you have to transport it or can you pick it up yourself? This is a can of whoopass. Don't open it. I have some rims for you if you want them.
Old October 28th, 2015, 10:19 AM

Transportation is taken care of, I'm not worried about that. I'm talking about working on the vehicle itself.
Old October 28th, 2015, 10:25 AM

Why did you bid on it if you weren't ready to buy it?
Old October 28th, 2015, 10:27 AM

What do you mean ready?
Old October 28th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Senior Moment Member

I think he means why did you bid 500 if you didn't think you'd win. Good luck with that car. Restored it's a beauty. For certain. I have a 66 that is close (haha) to being finished. You have a lot of work ahead of you. Look for the threads on here about Toro restorations. They are interesting and will give you some insight.
A very good friend bought an old T Bird in the same shape as this car. It's still in the same shape. I wish you both well.
Old October 28th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Shoveling Snow

What are your plans for the car?
Old October 28th, 2015, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
What are your plans for the car?

I'd like to get it running, then restore and modify it to its full potential.
Old October 28th, 2015, 11:31 AM

Good Luck, I hope the underside looks better then the roof. The more Toros I see the more I like them. Do you have the skills ? If not I hope the pocketbook is full.
Seriously, good luck, a lot worse cars have been saved.
Old October 28th, 2015, 04:17 PM

you sure did buy a project, a decent one at that though. Where I come from that car is a mint starting point. No matter what condition the car is in there is always more work than expected. If you have the funds or the time this can be a fun car to work on.
Old October 28th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Shoveling Snow

This one is going to be expensive!
Old October 28th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Unfortunately, you will spend more on parts to restore that car than it is worth. Toros are not well supported in the aftermarket with repro parts. Expect to buy at least one parts car to get everything you will need.
Old October 29th, 2015, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Expect to buy at least one parts car to get everything you will need.
I would say he just did, now he needs to find the better one to build.
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Back to Octania's post - If the engine turns, it's a good starting point engine to rebuild (or, if you're very, very lucky, to use as-is), at a good price, considering the return on scrapping the rest of the car.

If you are an experienced auto restorer (or very rich), you can resurrect this car.
If not, cut your losses now, take the few parts that are good, and scrap the rest.

- Eric
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:47 AM

oh

nice project..good luck...
Old October 29th, 2015, 08:13 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

If the only thing rotted is the roof I see no reason to scrap it. It looks like its just pitted to hell and not rotted through? If the underside and all the quarters & doors are rot free its a good starting point. Where Im from if the sheet metal and undercarriage are solid your way ahead of the game. You can graft on a good roof if needed or treat it, smooth out the pits and re-vinyl over it. Maybe buy a parts car or two to complete one. The chrome looks ok. If you can find the necessary interior items, the engine and trans function then Id say go for it. What do you have to lose if it takes minimal effort and cash to get it on the road. I have a soft spot for 66-70 Toros. If its rusty/rotted all over part it out and scrap the rest. Hell Id give you 500 just for the engine if its not locked up. Do you know how to properly get a car going thats been sitting for a long time? Oil prime, oil in cylinders, bar it over, gas tank and lines, brake system all fluids etc...you do have some work ahead of you if that's the path you take. You asked if it would be difficult? Depends on your skill level. Beginner... very difficult will take a lot of learning and patience, but doable. Advanced mechanical/electrical and body skill... difficult but doable. Lets us know which direction you choose.
Old October 29th, 2015, 09:30 AM

Welcome aboard. First gen Toronados are great cars that have been very overlooked by the enthusiast community. No doubt you have bitten off a large challenge here but as long as your eyes are open regarding how much money and time it will take you are the only one who can decide your next step. Good luck.
Old October 29th, 2015, 09:43 AM

where you from??buddy that is on here on occasion has a 69 that would be a perfect parts car,but located in s.d.
Old October 29th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The eBay ad mentions a "pink slip," so it's a fair bet he's in California.

- Eric
Old October 29th, 2015, 10:58 AM

Actually the body looks great, thats not roof rot, its the remains of a vinyl top. Not sayin theres not any rot, but the body looks nice to me. Its the interior that looks like the bigger challenge to me, dash, steering column. But im sure they can be fairly easily found. However it does look like it needs everything redone, alot of work. Alot of guys here have started with worse, myself included. Could be a beautiful car, time and money and preferably skills to do most of it yourself is what you need.
Old October 29th, 2015, 04:50 PM

Welcome to the site! I've got a couple parts cars up in Medford Oregon if your located in NorCal. Also there was a 1969 Toro in Klamath Falls Oregon on Craigslist recently. If I were you I'd get it home then crawl over it real well. See if you can get it running and find out what is good and what is bad on it. Then you can decide if you want to build it or use it for parts. If you decide not to save it odds are you can get more than $500 of parts off it.

John
Old October 29th, 2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Whodat
I'd like to get it running, then restore and modify it to its full potential.
I guess I misunderstood.
That's a bit of a project, but as has been pointed out, worse have been saved.

I thought you were looking at the chore of moving it as a parts car.

For fixin' it up, yeah, moving it is just the beginning. You will need a lot of time and money, to end up with a Toronado. Not a terribly bad thing, but it better be what you want, and not a money making scheme...
Old October 29th, 2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by steverw
Actually the body looks great, thats not roof rot, its the remains of a vinyl top. Not sayin theres not any rot, but the body looks nice to me.
I looked closer and I agree. You need to get a solid idea of what you want when you start. Me? i would consider not trying to do original on the interior, maybe even a 2 seater or 2+2. Dash mods, aftermarket column etc. Maybe a wild street/strip and just strip the interior. Set a budget, leave room for more as you go and get to it. I like seeing all cars saved no matter the result, but don't like prime originals cut and changed. You have a blank slate very different car.
Old October 29th, 2015, 06:17 PM

Don't spend anymore until...

Hello all,
I thought she would go for more than $500. You're all the experts here, what kind of damage am I looking at. I've never really done this before.
Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]
__________________________________________________ _

You now have a legal obligation to pay. A winning bid is a contract. But you may not get ownership. The Ad clearly says he doesn't have the Pink Slip (title) but he will sign a bill of sale and transfer paperwork. The State is under no obligation to issue you a title based on the seller's say-so that he is the owner or that he has power of attorney for the owner(s). If its been sitting for lots of years without being re-registered periodically there may be no paperwork trail to prove prior ownership and any record of the original title may be gone from the records. Or, you might get lucky. But once the seller has your money the incentive to prove and transfer ownership in a way the State will accept is gone. Your car, your problem.

So until you can get a clear title you may never be able to license and drive it legally or for that matter to sell it for scrap as a lot of yards require some proof of ownership. Why would you put a dime into restoration until you get a clear title?

At the very least get the VIN and inquire to the State of California about the legal records and whether they will issue a title and under what circumstances.

I would not buy a car without a current, clear title. Period. Did it once and learned my lesson.
Jerry
Old October 29th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
... once the seller has your money the incentive to prove and transfer ownership in a way the State will accept is gone...

... until you can get a clear title you may never be able to license and drive it legally or for that matter to sell it for scrap as a lot of yards require some proof of ownership. Why would you put a dime into restoration until you get a clear title?

... I would not buy a car without a current, clear title. Period.
Quite.

- Eric