The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

72 cutlass in oz.

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2015, 10:38 PM

72 cutlass in oz.

Hi there people across the pond. I'm currently importing a 72 cutlass s that I bought on Ebay to Australia. Lets just say in hind site it may have been an impulse bye after a twelve hr night shift. Anyway it gets here in ten days so that's that! The good news is it has a 455 that has been worked to the hilt (I think). The not so good news is the body is going to be a bunch of fun!! Ive never rebuilt a car before but am pretty good with bodywork and somewhat mechanicaly minded. Any way Its going to be a ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
$_57.jpg (90.6 KB, 53 views)
DSCN1147.jpg (70.7 KB, 52 views)
DSCN1149.jpg (55.7 KB, 53 views)
Old April 20th, 2015, 11:00 PM

Cool. I like it.

Nothing like sleep deprivation eh?
Old April 20th, 2015, 11:44 PM

Thumbs up

Coupled with a couple of beers and a daughter screaming "BUY IT, BUY IT DADDY".
Old April 21st, 2015, 12:09 AM

Haha! Good girl. Love that kind of support. Impossible to resist.
Old April 21st, 2015, 05:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard.

So they painted the 455 gold instead of the proper blue. Check the cars VIN, if it starts out like either of these
3G87U
3F87U
It was born with a 455 and makes it a relatively rare and desirable car. You can chalk the VIN derivative on the engine stamping pad when it gets there to see if it the original to the car.
Old April 21st, 2015, 02:42 PM

Hi there Allen, Thanks for the welcome. I actually bought the car from a guy named Joe in WV. I don't think he had it very long. I'm planning on pulling the car down as far as I can. The engine was built by the previous owner (Kevin?). I'm pretty sure the car came back as a 350 on the vin tracker however the vin starts with 3G87H. Now what's the bet the "H" denotes the engine size?? Anything you might know about the cars engine build would be great. I'm planning on building a nice black muscle car. I have a new interior coming with it. As well as a heap of parts including new floor pan and bushes. I hope legendary make decent stuff, probably should had asked for advice first. Any ways....Cheers
Old April 21st, 2015, 03:10 PM

H is 350 2 barrel single exhaust. Legendary interiors are the best.

Terry
Old April 21st, 2015, 04:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jcav
Hi there Allen, Thanks for the welcome. I actually bought the car from a guy named Joe in WV. I don't think he had it very long. I'm planning on pulling the car down as far as I can. The engine was built by the previous owner (Kevin?). I'm pretty sure the car came back as a 350 on the vin tracker however the vin starts with 3G87H. Now what's the bet the "H" denotes the engine size?? Anything you might know about the cars engine build would be great. I'm planning on building a nice black muscle car. I have a new interior coming with it. As well as a heap of parts including new floor pan and bushes. I hope legendary make decent stuff, probably should had asked for advice first. Any ways....Cheers
If you post a pic of the cowl tag that will tell a bit more about the car.

Yes, the letter code H is as Terry described. U code (455 cars) are scarce. The car you have is a 72 Cutlass S (as indicated by the G component. 87 means it's a 2 door hardtop coupe (aka holiday coupe). When you get a chance look at the engine stamping pad on that 455. It will tell you what year it was made and what factory.
Old April 21st, 2015, 05:33 PM

I ran the Vin just after I bought it as the previous owner thought it was original. Too late. I'm okay with that cause I wanted a 455 anyway, and that's about what I paid for it. Shipping was the real killer, fist to CA then Oz. I happen to have Sullivan's guide and from that I get it's a 68-72 and the F tells me......Really am banking on the engine being sound. You can hear it at
. I'll have to quiet it down for insurance purposes. This cars all about learning and I know ive already made a couple mistakes. Still It's gonna be a lot of laughs and tears bringing it back from the dead! At least ive got a good interior, cheers vette442.
Old April 21st, 2015, 05:54 PM
Smash

Welcome to our little Olds getaway. Guys really know there stuff here and most are happy to help. I have the exact same car down to the vin. Originally a 350 single exhaust etc. We're just opposite renovations. My body is good and my 455 needs to get done. Don't have the time myself lost a lot of time with a family member now looking for a good motor guys in my area. (Philly area leaning toward Lorenzo's) Good luck with your build you sound motivated and it also sounds like your keeping it for yourself I as well. Any pics of the current interior ? Or pics of the new
Old April 21st, 2015, 06:00 PM
Smash

There's no mistaken the sound of a Cutlass S door opening mine sounds the exact same way. #33 on my repair list
Old April 21st, 2015, 06:32 PM

Cheers smash, there's heaps of great information on here which is great while I'm waiting for it to arrive. The current interior is trash except the dash and steering wheel. Need to see it in the flesh to really know what I'm in for. Looks like you've got the you doin it bit out of the way. The new interior is on the boat with the car and a bunch of other stuff. I'll post the nightmare Photo's when It gets here. 10 days and counting. WooHoooo!