The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2015, 06:24 AM

Smile Hi

Hi! I'm a new member but with different circumstances. I own a 46 Ford 2 door sedan and am finding out that the previous owner used a 56 Olds Starfire as a donor car. I am trying to find pictures of the emergency brake pedal to find out where the return spring hooks up. Currently, the pedal doesn't return to position when disengaging. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks, Wendy
Old April 14th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site Wendy, hopefully one of the guys with a 50's model will chime in soon. Post some pictures of your project.
Old April 14th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Cool! When I first aw your screen name I thought immediately of a guy I used to work with. We called him grumpy for a good reason....

Didn't realize that Ford and Olds parts were compatible.
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by wgrumpy
I own a 46 Ford 2 door sedan and am finding out that the previous owner used a 56 Olds Starfire as a donor car.
Wow, this seems totally bass ackwards to me. A '46 Ford 2-door sedan in not quite showroom condition is worth about $8,000. A '56 Olds Starfire, which was available only as a convertible to boot, is worth about $10,000 to $12,000 in non-running but restorable condition and at least $50,000 in showroom condition. This is almost, but not quite, like taking a Pierce-Arrow and using it as a parts car to restore a Chevy Vega.

It seems like the Ford should have been used as a donor car for the Olds!

Last edited by jaunty75; April 14th, 2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:46 PM

We are assuming that is the car the parts were donated from since that is what most of the parts that we are trying to replace fit. BTW, our last 46 sedan that I did all the body work on and painted, (trunk and AC not finished), we got $15000 for.
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by wgrumpy
We are assuming that is the car the parts were donated from since that is what most of the parts that we are trying to replace fit.
I'm not saying you've done anything questionable. You might as well finish what someone else started.

You said it was a prior owner who started the process of taking parts off of a $10,000 car to fix a $1,000 car and who thus needs to have his head examined!