The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello finally

Old April 6th, 2015, 01:18 PM

Hello finally and help please

Long time sit stalker first time poster. I recently purchased 1969 Cutlass S, 350, 2BBL that turns over and starts with a little assistance from spraying the carb. Below is a video of me spraying the carb with a buddy after buying and she fires up. Since this car has been sitting for an extended time what direction do you recommend I go to get her running. Thanks in advance take it easy I'm new.

Seller's vid a weeks earlier:

Last edited by dbenton; April 6th, 2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old April 6th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. How long has it been sitting?
Old April 6th, 2015, 02:23 PM

Oldcutlass,

Thanks, It was last registered in 2004 is what I have from the state. The seller recently bought it from the previous owner a month ago that's the information I received. I would guess 10 years or less sitting.
Old April 6th, 2015, 02:40 PM
morgan

when using starting fluid you should have the air cleaner on a backfire can cause a bad fire....since it started no need to oil the cylinders or prime it i would rebuild the carb and due a standard tune up and fluid change...the car sounds pretty good
Old April 6th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Administrator

If the tank smells like varnish, I would drain and clean it, blow out the fuel lines and replace the rubber pieces and put a new filter on there. Tune it up and oil change. Then move on to safety items, etc.
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:24 PM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions to move in the right direction.
Old April 6th, 2015, 09:59 PM

Welcome to the site and congrats on your new ride. Sounds like that carb needs some attention, that idle is too low. As mentioned, a carb rebuild/swap/good cleaning and tuning should help a lot.

Good luck with it!
Old April 7th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. If the car has been sitting for an extended period of time, and sputters or runs briefly with starter fluid, this is usually an indication that the inside of the carb is clogged with old, dried-up gasoline (or, more correctly, the stuff that passes for gasoline these days). You're probably looking at a good carb rebuild and tuneup. As others have noted, it wouldn't hurt to drain the tank if there's any question about it, though truth be told, I rarely do that on a car that's been sitting. Unless the inside of the tank is rusted or full of debris, a load of fresh gas will usually be sufficient. Check all the rubber hoses in the fuel system, as they can deteriorate and crack, causing the fuel pump to suck air. Pay attention to the hoses from the tank to the hard lines on the frame, under the car near the rear axle. Good luck.
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:53 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO, 69's are my favorite.