The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello From Sweet Home, Oregon!

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2015, 08:41 PM

Hello From Sweet Home, Oregon!

Hello!

I am a long standing Oldsmobile fan - I've had quite a few.

Currently I have a 1967 Olds Delmont 88 4 door sedan. It is certainly one of the more sedate Olds' I've had, but for some reason it has become one of my favorites. I've had opportunities to sell it over the last couple of years and get something "cooler," but I can't seem to part with it.

I've looked on this sight for tech information in the threads before, and have always found great stuff. So now I guess I'll go public!

This Delmont is very unusual - it is an exceptionally low optioned car. It has a 330 2V and a TH350. Steering and brakes, and that's it. Radio delete. It is original other than a repaint (and the wheels and tires - The stock narrow 14' are in my garage). I'm the second owner, and it shows just under 84,000 miles today. The car was ordered in late 1966, and delivered in October 1966 at Bob Brown Olds in Portland, OR to a gentleman who lived in Sisters, OR. I bought it out of Redmond from the family of the original owner a few years ago.

Other than the wheels and tires, I've split the exhaust and added 30" glass packs, and added air shocks to the rear. I'll be rebuilding the front end and the drum brakes at some point, one of these days...

Of all of the various Oldsmobiles I've had, it has about the sweetest disposition both as a driver and simply sitting in my garage. It also gets a terrific amount more attention than many of the others.

Keep up the good work! This is the best Oldsmobile site I've ever found.

Thanks!
Troy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds ED.jpg (52.2 KB, 39 views)
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, looks to be in awesome condition.
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Randy C.

Welcome to this site, Troy! And, wow, what a small world in many ways! My '68 4-4-2 also went to Bob Brown Olds originally, as a car for one of the Oldsmobile Portland zone managers before it went to an Olds dealership in Coos Bay, where my dad bought it. The car just stayed in the family and now it's mine.

And...get this! My fiancé is from Sweet Home! She graduated from SHHS in 1974. We live in Olympia, WA, but we plan on moving to Salem sometime in the next 15 months or so.

What a nice car you have! I like the wheels you have on it. And the 30" glass packs...well...I bet it makes some pretty good noise!

We get down to Sweet Home every once in awhile and it would be neat to make contact with you when we go there. Our hope is to someday show our Olds in the car shows they have in Sweet Home and Lebanon when we get to Salem.

Enjoy this site. It is a fountain of information, free for the asking. I've found out so much invaluable about Oldsmobiles and particular details regarding my car at this site. I believe it's the best Olds site going today.

Keep your eyes open for a Bob Brown license plate frame - they are around. I got mine at the November indoor swap meet in Albany a couple of years ago!

Randy C.
Attached Images
0415121859.jpg (91.2 KB, 13 views)
0222151457.jpg (64.4 KB, 11 views)
Old March 20th, 2015, 12:20 PM

Welcome Troy,
Great looking Delmont. We have a 68 and it's a blast.
Grandpa
Old March 20th, 2015, 12:27 PM

Welcome to the site Troy! Back in the 1980's I met someone in Sweet Home who had a 1970 W31 and later a 1970 442. Was that you? I'm down in Medford right now but used to live in Salem and for a time in Mill City and Detroit Oregon. I had a very rusty Rallye 350 back then.

John
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:10 PM

Hello, Randy!

It would be great to meet up sometime when you come through town. I plan to take my Olds to the show here in Sweet Home, as well.

I do have one of the original Bob Brown plate frames; it was in the trunk when I got the car. It also has both original plates, which are in relatively great condition.

Thanks for your reply! I look forward to bumping into you here in Sweet Home or in Salem at some point!
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:14 PM

Hello, John!

Nope, that wasn't me you knew in the 1980's. We haven't been in Sweet Home all that long. I was in the Portland area in the 1980's.

Medford? I tend to get that way once in a while. Perhaps I'll run the Olds down there one of these times...
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:15 PM
same but different

Welcome to the site. That is one sweet car.

I would like it no matter what angle I was looking at. Thumbs up!
Old April 10th, 2015, 09:23 PM

Hey Troy,

Cool car, that's a great find! If you're ever in Portland, look me up I'd love to see your car. Randy C. and I had a chance to meet a couple years ago. He's got a sweet '68 442.

It's always neat to see cars and plate frames, etc., from Brown Olds. (Bob Brown was my Dad)

Cheers,

Jim B
Old April 11th, 2015, 01:54 PM

Hello, Jim!

Wow! What a great connection! I bet you've got some stories to tell of your Dad's Oldsmobile dealership! I grew up in Portland - my own father has told stories of Bob Brown Oldsmobile.

I plan to take my Olds to Portland for one of the Beaches Cruise In events at the PIR this summer. These run from June 3 through September 23 on Wednesday evenings from about 4:00 to dusk. If you haven't made it out there, its worth checking out. I bought a '52 88 with my Dad just last week - it needs a little help, but he's planning to get it out to Beaches one of these evenings, at the same time as I take out the '67. I'll let you know when we are coming; perhaps we can meet up then.

Troy
Old April 11th, 2015, 05:56 PM

Hey Troy,

Great to meet you, that's very cool that you Dad remembers the dealership too!

Please do let me know when you're headed up this way. I've been thinking about the Beaches event, but have never made it out there - so that would be a fun day.

Sending a link with some old photos of the store:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jbtheg...7623497898929/

(Let me know if that doesn't work, sometimes links don't copy well)

Cheers,

Jim
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:19 PM

Very Sharp Ride!

Welcome to the Club
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Nice car Troy. Welcome to the site, always good to see another Oregon person here. I'm in Gresham.
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Sweet,
What a great looking Olds. The wheels really set it off. A very nice color.

I'm thinking the trans is a T-400, since T-350 did not come out until '69.
Hard to say for sure. A 330 with T-400 pretty unusual. Maybe some one knows for sure.

Gene