The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Northeast Pa

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2015, 12:17 PM

Hello from Northeast Pa

Hi guys/gals, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Boz and I'm from northeast Pennsylvania. I got a 72 cutlass supreme that I basically stole from a guy a few blocks away. Car sat for 10 years under a carport. Got it running in no time. It's not original. Rocket 350 with auto trans. Gonna try to work out some small issues and do some bodywork to make a nice driver. Anyway, feel free to say hello, especially if you are near me. I'm near Bloomsburg.
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Welcome Boz, post some pics of your prize when you get a chance.
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard. A stolen car huh?? Yeah, we know what you mean. Have fun with your project. Is it a hardtop or convertible?
Old March 15th, 2015, 04:13 PM

It's a hardtop. I was trying to decipher the VIN and body tag info. I think I got it figured out but ran into a lot of other info online that I guess I would find on the build sheet if it's still somewhere in the car. (I think it's supposed to be under the rear seat) but since that was recovered at some point with a cheapy home made looking cover I won't hold my breath. Let me see if I can upload a couple of pics. (Working from my phone here)
Old March 15th, 2015, 05:04 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'm about an hour and a half to the east.

Last edited by Eric Anderson; March 15th, 2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:07 PM

Ok, I put pics of my toys in my gallery (forgot my bikes..oh well)
But let me see if I can post a pic of the cutlass. If not, visit my gallery.
Eric, what town?
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:11 PM

As the car sits now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (108.8 KB, 101 views)
Old March 16th, 2015, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bozang1
Ok, I put pics of my toys in my gallery (forgot my bikes..oh well)
But let me see if I can post a pic of the cutlass. If not, visit my gallery.
Eric, what town?
Tunkhannock, I see now you are in Berwick, a bit closer. Nice looking car, good find!
Old March 16th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I didn't see any pic of the cowl tag or VIN on your profile. It would be interesting to know what the cowl tag says your original paint color was because Black (ebony; code 19) was not offered as a color choice for any of the 72 A bodies in any division. The grills on the car are from a 71 Cutlass Supreme BTW. Easy fix if you want to change them.
Old March 16th, 2015, 12:27 PM

I don't have any pics of the tags but I wrote it all down. The original color was a mint green kind of color. Paint code if I deciphered correctly says Pinehurst Green on bottom and Cameo white on top.
The body tag is hard to read due to paint. But here's the info. You guys tell me if I'm correct. I guess there's a 3 at the beginning of the VIN but I didn't notice it.
VIN: 3J57K2R180603
So
3=Oldsmobile
J=Cutlass Supreme
57=2 door supreme/notchback
K=350 4bbl V8 180HP Single Exhaust
2=1972
R=Arlington, Tx
180603=That's the production number but I read 2 different things about that sound I don't know what actual number my car is. Is it the 180,603rd car of that year or is it the 80,603rd car? I'm guessing the latter. Next post will be the body tag
Old March 16th, 2015, 12:37 PM

And here's the info from the cowl tag:

ST 72 34257 R 31487 BDY
TR 982 A65 43 11 PNT
06A0882

I decided some of this from various locations but I'm headed out the door so I can't type it all right now. I'll check back to see what you guys say to see if it matches what I have. I'm not sure what that bottom number means, couldn't find any info on that. Boz
Old March 16th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Oh, real quick, what's the difference with the grilles? Not worried about that because I'd like to put those deeper 442 grilles in and the ram air hood.
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

180603=That's the production number but I read 2 different things about that sound I don't know what actual number my car is. Is it the 180,603rd car of that year or is it the 80,603rd car? I'm guessing the latter. Next post will be the body tag
Your decode there is spot on. The car is the 80,603rd produced at Arlington. All the Olds A body factory production lines started at 100001 each model year.

And here's the info from the cowl tag:

ST 72 34257 R 31487 BDY
TR 982 A65 43 11 PNT
06A0882

I decided some of this from various locations but I'm headed out the door so I can't type it all right now. I'll check back to see what you guys say to see if it matches what I have. I'm not sure what that bottom number means, couldn't find any info on that. Boz
ST 72 - 1972 Model year production
3 - Oldsmobile Division
42 - Model; Cutlass Supreme
57 - Body Style; 2 door Holiday Coupe
R - Fisher Body Works plant where the body/interior was produced
BDY 31487 - Body number assigned by FBW. Not related to VIN
TR 982 - Green Orleans Cloth with dark green naugahyde trim. Actually quite nice if you like green.
A65 - Front bench seat with center armrest. (no cost option on CS)
PNT 43 11 - Lower body color Pinehurst green (not that great IMO) with Cameo white upper paint. This was originally what is called a 2 tone paint car. Not a vinyl roof car, but it uses the same trim to separate the colors.
06A - Time build date code. Body built at FBW first week of June 1972. This is a late production 1972 car.
0882 - Fisher body works internal coding

Oh, real quick, what's the difference with the grilles? Not worried about that because I'd like to put those deeper 442 grilles in and the ram air hood.
The grills for 72 are 'eggcrate design' which is why you have those two upward bumps on the radiator support just before the headlight area. All 72 Cutlass grills were forward set which required the mod to the rad support. The 442 grills are the same inset that you have with the 71 supreme grills and made of plastic. The grills you have now are pot metal. Proper 72 grills can be seen on this example:
Old March 16th, 2015, 06:06 PM

So, what I'd like to do is a nice ram air hood, deep 442 grills, I would prefer either black or white interior (most likely black), mild 455 with duals (flow masters). Here's a pic I really really like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (89.1 KB, 49 views)
Old March 16th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So basically you want to clone it. The 442 grills are normally that shape and depth, just different color patterns and color of numerals for 71/72. None of the CS 442's in this body style was factory produced with a deck wing.

Wheels look nice, and that paint line actually looks quite nice.

Thorntons makes a great reproduction hood that's as close to factory as you can get. But it's a whopping 2500.00. There are other cheaper ones that are just fibreglass from other vendors that could serve your needs too. Comes down to what you want to spend and how much detail you want to go into.
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:15 PM

Those grilles on the pro touring cutlass look way deeper than the ones I have. I have seen hoods way cheaper than 2500. That's crazy!! Maybe that's the real ram air hood with all of the stuff to make it functional to the carb as well. I really want to do something with mine this year. I think 72 was a special year. It was the last year before the cutlass got super fugly. I do like the mid 80's cutlass look, especially the 442. I'd love to own one of those.
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:24 PM

I think those are the same rims I have on my Monte, they're very nice!!!
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Those grilles on the pro touring cutlass look way deeper than the ones I have.
Yes they do look deeper but they aren't. It's the illusion of silver side paint in relation to the black background. Have a look - this is what stock 71 442 grills look like

I have seen hoods way cheaper than 2500. That's crazy!! Maybe that's the real ram air hood with all of the stuff to make it functional to the carb as well
Of course there are cheaper ones. Thornton just makes the best GM authentic hood on the market. Oh, and if you're talking about the underhood stuff? Add on another 500.00 for the breather and about another 100 for the hood tiedowns and brackets. Cheap OAI hoods are still in the 600.00 range and have their issues with fitment.

I think 72 was a special year. It was the last year before the cutlass got super fugly.
No, it wasn't a special year. It was a 'forced' extension of the 71 model year production due to the UAW strike in 70. Well documented BTW. The 72 model year was supposed to be introduced as the 'fugly' A body change you refer to.
One thing about 72 though - they really screwed up the model lines and VINS as far as authentication of 442 models goes. 72 was the year the 442 lost it's model designation and became just another option package. Sad. If anyone was going to clone a Cutlass, Cutlass S or Cutlass Supreme vert into a 442? This is the model year to do it with because it was available in all those lines with any engine choice offered in 72. You need documentation to prove a 72 442 unless it's a W30. That is automatically validated in the X code of the VIN.

The 73 - 75 'fugly' cars take some getting used to at first. But from 76 on they weren't that bad. Choice G body in the 80's ranges from the 83/84 Hurst Olds to the 87 442.
Old March 16th, 2015, 08:14 PM

Welcome to the site, Boz! Your '72 looks pretty sharp in your picture, good luck with it and all of your plans.
Old March 16th, 2015, 08:14 PM

Idk, maybe I'm not seeing right because I'm on a phone vs a computer screen but it appears to me that that one is also deeper. Look at the silver sides of the grille. Looks like they're kinda 2 tiered where's mine is just one. If I paint the main part black it may appear slightly deeper but I still think they're different. I will agree that mine sit back more than a stock 72 grille though.
Old March 16th, 2015, 08:18 PM

Thanks Oldsman, it's not as nice as it appears in the pic. Look in my gallery to see it a little better from when I got it. Old bridge huh? I lived in Mt Holly for 13 yrs. I was in the Air Force and decided to buy a house and stick around for a while before moving back close to where I grew up.
Old March 17th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Idk, maybe I'm not seeing right because I'm on a phone vs a computer screen but it appears to me that that one is also deeper. Look at the silver sides of the grille. Looks like they're kinda 2 tiered where's mine is just one. If I paint the main part black it may appear slightly deeper but I still think they're different. I will agree that mine sit back more than a stock 72 grille though.
Yes, you're right that the stock 71 CS grilles sit further forward than a stock 442 grilles. The mounting positions are the same however and the way the 71 upper grill is shaped is more in line with the upper contours of the 71/72 442 grills. That's why 1971 radiator supports don't have the raised bump close to the headlights that 72 models do. It's all about generic fit for the majority of production in 72.

One thing you should be aware of - the repro grills for 71/72 ALL have the same fitment issue. You either need to modify the stone shield slightly to make them fit or you need to remove the brightwork tab and glue down the upper part of the bright work. 99.9% of the issue is with the placement of the trim securing tabs for the bright reveal on the inner stone shield side.

All the aftermarket vendors sell exactly the same part so it doesn't matter who you buy from - it will all fit like crap. Be prepared to take some time to get it just right; because it can be done. This topic is discussed in several threads.
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:00 AM

Thanks Oldsman, it's not as nice as it appears in the pic. Look in my gallery to see it a little better from when I got it. Old bridge huh? I lived in Mt Holly for 13 yrs. I was in the Air Force and decided to buy a house and stick around for a while before moving back close to where I grew up.

Yep, I live about 15mins from Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ (it was a coincidence, I swear! ) I guess you liked NJ if you stuck around for awhile. I don't know the Mt Holly area well but I've found most anything in central NJ to be pretty nice (and quiet).
I'm a NY'er, moved to NJ in '02. I do like it in NJ but it's getting expensive, quickly.
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:03 PM

Anyone know the differences between the 70 hoods and the 71/72 hoods? I found a good deal for a glass OAI hood with steel frame and rear spoiler but it's for a 70. I have a 72.
Once it warms up I'll be casually looking for a 455 and a POSI as well if anyone has any leads nearby. PA/NJ/DE/NY area. I'm in PA so a 3 hr radius tops.
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:14 PM

Hey Boz,
Welcome....nice ride.....1970 hoods have attached tooth and chrome trim(aka...hockey sticks) on leading edge that lines up with the fender trim ( aka ....eyebrow).......72 is different....google pics of the different models and you'll see what I'm talkin about
Eric M
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Anyone know the differences between the 70 hoods and the 71/72 hoods? I found a good deal for a glass OAI hood with steel frame and rear spoiler but it's for a 70. I have a 72.
Once it warms up I'll be casually looking for a 455 and a POSI as well if anyone has any leads nearby. PA/NJ/DE/NY area. I'm in PA so a 3 hr radius tops.
Front contours, hood tooth, and the unseen radiator support. Grills also won't line up properly. Is the hood you're looking at the one from Parts Place?

A decent 71/72 hood that has metal reinforcement for a reasonable price (no steel frame though) can be viewed at fibreconcepts. Looks like everyone's prices have gone up...

CHA-442 '71-'72
Olds/Cutlass/442 Stock Original Ram Air Hood with Air Chamber.
Shmpt /Lbs/ Price - TRK-45 $949.00

Old March 19th, 2015, 07:43 PM

The hood I was looking at was for sale by a private owner but appears to have come from Fusicks if I remember correctly. They want 2500 brand new for that particular hood. I like to buy quality but I'm not rich! It was a great deal from this guy but I guess I can't use that hood...
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:40 PM

Boz pm sent
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:41 AM

Weather nice out today and my arm still healing up from surgery but I was able to go out and peek at the car a little more. (Ok, my buddy stopped by with his 68? Cutlass that he just got) but anyway, looks like my engine is not original (last few numbers didn't match anything on VIN) but it is the correct year. It's a 350 (big numbers top/front behind water pump) and the rest of the numbers I got from a little stamped area below and in front of #1 cylinder. I have 7A heads which is supposed to be correct for this year as well. I just wanted to put this info on here. It doesn't mean much because it's not #'s matching motor and I'm supposed to be getting a complete 455 but again, just wanted to get outside for a little and post up what I found.
Old April 14th, 2015, 01:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Hello Boz and welcome! Thanks for joining us. Your ride looks great and classy! Good luck with your project and keep us posted!
Old April 14th, 2015, 05:00 AM

Hello and welcome to the site. I'm about 2 hours north of you near Binghamton. Those 71 Supreme grills are not repoped and are hard to come by. I had mine out to repaint and they weigh a ton compared to the plastic ones. They don't break like the plastic ones either! Good luck with your project! Carlisle is real close to you and has lots of stuff to be had. Fun place!
Old April 14th, 2015, 07:05 PM

I plan on going to Carlisle. I usually go the last day though for good deals but then it's also slim pickins...lol if you ever get down this way get a hold of me. I get up your way from time to time
Old April 15th, 2015, 04:02 AM

I will be going to Carlisle on Saturday. My brother has a 71 Cutlass fastback so we both will be on the lookout for stuff! I will try to contact you as the date gets closer
Old April 16th, 2015, 08:16 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Your car looks great, congrats on your find.
Old April 17th, 2015, 12:34 AM

Nice find/steal

Welcome to the site