The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1964 Ninety Eight Console Shift

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2013, 11:24 AM

1964 Ninety Eight Console Shift

Did the 1964 Ninety Eight come with a bucket seat and console shift option? I just purchased this car and it was once a bucket seat and column shift car, but the previous owner began to convert it over to buckets with a console shift. 1964 buckets were recovered and put in and there is what appears to be a 1964 console, shifter and in-console tach mounted in the car.
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:24 AM

sorry, I forgot to add that this is a 2-door holiday coupe
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Oldsdruid

You could get a Ninety Eight Custom Sports Coupe in 63-64. They were buckets/console cars with Starfire engines and all came with floor shift, not column. Most had cloth upholstery where Starfires had leather and vinyl. Classy cars.

They ARE different from Ninety Eight Holiday Coupes.

Check the tunnel floor and see if it has factory style console attaching brackets. My guess is it's an original CSC with console and may have had the steering column replaced. The columns had some lower bearing problems, or someone may have converted a non-tilt to tilt or vice versa as the tilt mechanism would sometimes get loose after many years. Column shift tilts are way more common than floorshift tilts.

Defining thing for a factory CSC is whether the dash has a shift indicator above the column. Factory floorshift cars did not.

Last edited by rocketraider; November 26th, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the info. It is definitely a stock column shift car. I know the history on it. It still shifts from the column, but the person who had it before me chose to convert it to buckets and a console. The console is mounted, but the shifter is not hooked up. Pretty sure it hasn't even had an access hole cut yet either. I am trying to decide if take the step to make the console shift work, or if I should just keep it on the column and put a different style console in. I do have a non shift column as well. thoughts?
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:11 PM

So, would I be accurate that a ninety eight holiday never came with a console shift?
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:28 AM

As far as I've read in old catalogs it appears that the only 1964 98 that came with the console shifter was the Custom Sport Coupe. I happen to have one of these cars. Currently having slim jim tranny problems though and will probably swap it for a 700R4 overdrive transmission.