The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Just saying hello..

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:58 AM

Just saying hello..

well first off , just like to say hello and that im looking forward to chatting with you guys and learning what I can learn..ive owned a few "olds" over the years but recently purchased a 1 owner 68 delta 88 custom holiday hardtop sedan , that's right a 4 door , 455 rocket with a 2bbl ..i took the car for a spin and was sold .I know its not the normal type car that people get excited over but who cares I like the damn thing..lol its completely original right down to the brake shoes ...car is in great shape and drives like the day it was made . With that being said what in your guys opinions should I start with ? she has 40,000 original and I will be using this as a daily driver but I still want the old girl wearing a nice dress if you know what I mean I look forward to hearing from you all
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:13 AM

For a daily driver the first things is safety issues. Make sure the brakes and steering are good. With that low of miles its sat for much of its life, so I'd also change all the fluids, hoses and belts. There may be junk in the fuel tank, but changing out the fuel filter more often when you start driving it may take care of that.

The big cars don't have as much demand, but they're really nice cars! Please post pictures when you have time.

John
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Welcome, x2 on the safety stuff first. Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:22 AM
same but different

Welcome. Sounds nice. How about some pictures?

With any old car the suspension, brakes and other front end components should be looked over. Is sounds like yours are pretty good. A second opinion never hurts. Other than that, new hoses and belts and change the fluids and new fuel filter.

At some point you might need a new timing chain, and might as well do the water pump while you're there. Careful of the might-as-wells.

Its possible to find a few gremlins after driving this car daily, since its obviously been sitting a good deal of its life.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:28 AM

thanks guys or the fast reply and I whole heartly agree with all of you safety first..so far I have replaced the fuel pump and lines ive cleaned out the carb , ive chaned the plugs and added new headlights and im waiting on new brakes, coil springs ,shocks and air filter. the paint has a few chips which im looking at a new paint job in the spring..changing the tires and rims ive already changed the stereo now the speedo cable just busted completely off ,so that has to be done and im thinking I will upgraded to a new 4bbl and dome any suggestions there..?also the interior is in great shape the cluster on the other hand is finiky had real dull lights so I changesd to Led but they work sometimes and the clock works for a few minutes then stops ..im thinking the wiring is a little outdated lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0205.jpg (46.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0206.jpg (47.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by pappa_olds; September 2nd, 2013 at 07:46 AM.