The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Long time GM fan, been out of the car life for a while

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Long time GM fan, been out of the car life for a while

Hey folks.. I'm from Syracuse, NY.. But have been all over the place. About 15 yrs ago, I was pretty close to being an oldsmobile toronado Trofeo expert.. Used to know wiring PIN NUMBERS by heart, etc.. Have transplanted complete VIC systems and all associated wiring and modules into other non VIC'd cars. Used to have a nice stock pile of trofeo specific parts.. I have owned in my past, 2 1989 trofeo's. First was maroon, the second was Red. Loved them both dearly.. My last car was sold to a fellow in Texas about 15 yrs ago.. Recently, I came across another one for a hell of a deal. It's a 1992 Pearl white with tan leather. No VIC. No Moonroof. It's been in my immediate area it's whole life, only 2 owners. I just spent $1036 at Rockauto.com for parts for this car just so that it drives like a new one down the road. Have pulled the rear subframe and everything is getting redone.

What I'm actually here for, is to find some specific information on my car and on the last final day of toronado production. My car was built on the very last day.. May 28th 1992.. Hoping to find out how close to the end of the line my car was. Did they produce 500 cars of EACH model per day? Also, I'm looking to figure out where the last ever built toronado ended up. Oooh and lastly, My carfax states that my car was originally sold at an Auction with 3,000 plus miles on it.. That's the first record of this car. Any thoughts on that? Was my car some sort of Demo car? Simply says Central Region, then says Auction.... I know Olds did some hoopla over their final 500 cars in '04.. some registries exist for some models, etc.. Guess I'm hoping to find some special significance in my car.. I've never seen a carfax on a new car show an Auction buy as the first record. With 3,000 plus miles on it. But it was first actually titled in Skaneateles Falls, NY.. Right about the center of Central NY state..

I've done searches in the forums already for final toronado, last toronado, toronado production, etc.. nothing there. Surely the LAST toronado had some sort of significance??

Thanks in advance for any info..

Jamie
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Lansing built

Your best choice is.
http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/

Pat
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:02 PM

I have to agree with Pat. The GM Heritage Center is at least worth a try. Remember, when Toronado ceased production in 1992, it was well before there was any hint that Oldsmobile itself would be gone in several more years and therefore well before anyone was thinking about noting and keeping track of the final 500 of anything. Olds had discontinued models before, and no one made a big deal out it, even though the Toro was certainly a car with a unique history that deserved some kind of send-off.

But again, at the time Toronado production ceased, Olds was trying to shed some of its history and reinvent itself as an import-fighter or something like that. Storied names like Toronado, Custom Cruiser (which dated to the 1940s), Cutlass, 88, and 98 were all either gone or on their way out and being replaced by Aurora, Alero, Intrigue, Silhouette, and Bravada. Anything that might make call attention to the brand's past, rather that its future, was probably not thought to be a good thing to emphasize.
Old April 27th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Welcome Jamie, siince noone has asked, we do love pictures.