The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Possible Oldsmobile Engine Ideas For A Hot Rod Project.

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM

Possible Oldsmobile Engine Ideas For A Hot Rod Project.

OK, here is the deal. I am new to working on cars. I grew up around classics and I have always wanted one and finally managed to purchase and 1956 Oldsmobile Super 88. I want to make it into a rod.

I want to keep my car Oldsmobile specific. With that in mind I need an ideas on possible Oldsmobile engines that would be great for a Hot Rod project. Details and specifics would be great. Again, keep in mind I am new to all of this and am looking for information from people willing to be helpful.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RCKTMan
OK, here is the deal. I am new to working on cars. I grew up around classics and I have always wanted one and finally managed to purchase and 1956 Oldsmobile Super 88. I want to make it into a rod.

I want to keep my car Oldsmobile specific. With that in mind I need an ideas on possible Oldsmobile engines that would be great for a Hot Rod project. Details and specifics would be great. Again, keep in mind I am new to all of this and am looking for information from people willing to be helpful.
The first gen Olds V8s are very cool and bolt into your car. These were the small block Chevies of their day and there were tons of aftermarket parts available for them. Many of these can be found today used, particularly multi-carb intakes that look very cool. Ross Racing Engines also sells new aftermarket parts for the first gen Olds motors, including aluminum heads. The stock automatics aren't great but you can get adapters to bolt up modern GM automatics.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:41 PM

I like your enthusiasm and suggest you channel it into planning the whole project before you buy anything or grab a wrench. Starting here asking about ideas was a smart thing on your part. Some of that you can get here but some of it you gotta get around to car shows, cruise-ins etc. to really lay your eyes on it. Seeing it is vastly different than hearing or reading about it.

A concept for your hot rod Olds will eventually come to you that will probably be a cross between what you dream of having and what financial reality may limit you to. Then you start figuring out all of the modifications you need to make and how they will go together. What parts you will need and how much all that costs plus how much time it will take. Be realistic about how much you can do yourself. But don't be afraid to push your limits and develop new skills during your build.

Hot rodding's bugaboo is unintended consequences, i.e. change one thing and it affects things you hadn't even thought about. Put all the stuff you wanna do down on paper and then talk to people who have built similar cars to test your ideas. You will avoid a lot of troubles by doing that.

There is a lot more to a rod than just a bigger, badder engine. The rest of the drive train has to be able to stand up to it. The radiator has to be able to cool it and the suspension has to keep it safely between the lines on the road.

I wish you the best of luck and a heck of a lot of enjoyment on your project.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:35 PM

This article's a few years old, but a good one if you decide to "rod" with the first generation Olds engines. (In order to view it, i had to disable the Firefox Adblock).

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/...s/viewall.html
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:28 PM

I have kept the original mill in my 57 and rebuilt it warmed over. I would suggest a 3 duece setup for your 56. I converted mine to a 4 speed but in retrospect a 55 hydro might be a great choice. The early hydros have one less turbine and get better mileage and performance. This combo would have been a late 50s hot rod and held its own with most chevy 265s and 283s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
resize.jpg (48.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Pat McClelland; March 3rd, 2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: ad pic
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:45 PM

Welcome aboard

The slant pan hydro is a good choice for your transmission . They are Hell for strong and have a killer first gear coming off the line. If you wanted to go crazy with the horse power thing a 394 will fit nicely, (with mods)and can be dressed up to look just like a 324, pretty easy for a super sleeper. By the way all this will cost quite a few bucks but would be high in the cool factor....Lost in the fifties but not looking to find my way back.....Tedd
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:26 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Look forward to pictures of your new ride.
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Welcome aboard

The slant pan hydro is a good choice for your transmission . They are Hell for strong and have a killer first gear coming off the line. If you wanted to go crazy with the horse power thing a 394 will fit nicely, (with mods)and can be dressed up to look just like a 324, pretty easy for a super sleeper. By the way all this will cost quite a few bucks but would be high in the cool factor....Lost in the fifties but not looking to find my way back.....Tedd
That is an excellent suggestion. I actually want to go for a sleeper. I have been to quite a few shows and those are the ones that impress me the most.
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:24 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 72 w29 all green
This article's a few years old, but a good one if you decide to "rod" with the first generation Olds engines. (In order to view it, i had to disable the Firefox Adblock).

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/...s/viewall.html
How do you disable it. I want to see it
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:26 PM
car guy

Anyone know if any aftermarket aluminum single 4-barrel intakes were ever made for early rockets?
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
How do you disable it. I want to see it
Click on the ABP stopsign on the bottom left of the web browser...then go up to "Disable on this page" AFTER you click the link. Don't do it while on CO or it'll open up the can-o-worms.

To the OP...if you wanna rod it, you have to have twin turbo's...don't ask why, just do it It'll be cool!
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:33 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
To the OP...if you wanna rod it, you have to have twin turbo's...don't ask why, just do it It'll be cool!
Terrible idea...who in there right mind would want to do something so crazy on an early rocket??
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Administrator

There many different ways to mount a later model olds engine in there also depending on your fabrication and welding skills. The suggestion above about figuring what you want vs how deep your pockets are first is an excellent choice.
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:05 AM

Anyone know if any aftermarket aluminum single 4-barrel intakes were ever made for early rockets?
There was never one made. Tony at Ross Racing said he was going to do one to match his heads, but I don't think he has accomplished that yet.
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:51 AM

Back in the day I had a aluminum 2-2 setup for a early Olds(303 or 324) that believe it or not got thrown in the aluminum scrap pile and was junked.The things one does as a teenager... Tedd
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Welcome to CO

Installing a 371 or 394 with the slant pan would make the cool factor. Go for it.
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:34 AM

Olds engines...

While there may be a cool factor associated with the older Rockets, it would be hard to beat the simplicity of a later model 455 or 403 or 350 in your Olds. I have a 455 in my '51 Ch*vy pickup and am about to replace my 350 in my '39 Olds with a 403. My '39 frame is similar to your frame and the new mounts were pretty easy to fab...

To me, there is a extended level of comfort walking into a parts store in Resume Speed, Nebraska and buying a part for my later model Olds engine!

IMHO.....
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

One really cool factor on the early Olds engines was the valve covers on the 49-50 303's that had the valve covers with the spark plug wire looms in them. I understand they are prone to leak which is probably why they quit using them.
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Your iron manifold will work very well with a 4 barrel. I used to use pre quadrijet Rochesters and they work well . Your stock carb may be a Carter and it will work fine also. You can put a bigger motor in your 56 but it WAS the bigger motor in 1956 and whatever you put in someone will have one bigger, The old Rockets are really no harder to rebuild than a small block Chevy except for the non adjustable rockers. I use Smith,s adjustable pushrods in my 57.

Last edited by Pat McClelland; March 5th, 2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: date error
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
One really cool factor on the early Olds engines was the valve covers on the 49-50 303's that had the valve covers with the spark plug wire looms in them. I understand they are prone to leak which is probably why they quit using them.
They look so cool that someone made Chevy-fitting versions of them.

As for a rod motor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-1964-39...8e79f1&vxp=mtr
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:56 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by okie88
There was never one made. Tony at Ross Racing said he was going to do one to match his heads, but I don't think he has accomplished that yet.

I called them today. They said he has a guy that has built some one off ones but I am looking at $1800.00 range. No plans to mass produce one as of now.
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by rockettruck
While there may be a cool factor associated with the older Rockets, it would be hard to beat the simplicity of a later model 455 or 403 or 350 in your Olds. I have a 455 in my '51 Ch*vy pickup and am about to replace my 350 in my '39 Olds with a 403. My '39 frame is similar to your frame and the new mounts were pretty easy to fab...

To me, there is a extended level of comfort walking into a parts store in Resume Speed, Nebraska and buying a part for my later model Olds engine!

IMHO.....
Do 39 fords have a X frame like a fifties Oldsmobile, that is where a lot problems arise. Plus the steering box is problematic for easy conversions . It all can be overcome but for me there is nothing cooler than a era styled hotrod with era speed equipment, hard to beat nostalgia for cool....Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Somewhere in my junk I have a diagram on how to adapt the 49-50 valve covers to a 394 by making a two bolt apparatus to hold the valve covers on. The 49-50 valve cover hides all the holes of the later 394 styled valve covers. Quite simple really, Nothing was said about problems with leakage as I remember but there could be. I always thought it would probably fool most all but the real hard core Olds guys..Tedd
Old March 6th, 2013, 09:39 AM

If you want a more modern engine a 455 and turbo 400 is not that hard of a conversion. Did this on my 57 Olds. Engine does look as cool as the older ones
Old April 19th, 2017, 05:56 AM

Someone has a Offie Aluminum 2x2 intake listed on Jalopy Journal for $250 fits early Olds, he is in Oxford Georgia.He thinks it will work on 1959 Back. Larry
Old April 19th, 2017, 07:26 AM

Hay guys this post is five years old but still has some good info for others who maybe in the market for a hotrod conversion, I doubt the original poster still needs the help after fife years though some builds go a decade or more..... Tedd
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:41 AM

Tedd,thanks for noticing the age of this post,but can someone tell me why this happens.
I don't usually look to see when it was originally posted,just assume it is current.
If I put up a fence post at home ,I usually assume that it wil be rotten or eat up by termites
by the time it is 5years old. Larry
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:20 AM

X2 what Rocketowner said.
Some of these posts are like zombies and come up out of the grave by means not known to mortal men.
Inquiring minds want to know how this happens.
My theory: there is a jokester among us who goes to the graveyard of forgotten posts and revives them to see who is paying attention.
Jerry
Old April 20th, 2017, 05:52 AM

Warning everyone,there is another post on today that started July of 2011! Don't waste you time. Larry