The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New seat cover and door panel packages or not? any advice is helpfull

Old December 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM

New seat cover and door panel packages or not? any advice is helpfull

Hello everybody, My name is Kevin and i am new to the site as far as ever wrighting anything, But have stopped by many times. I have a 1971 Cutlass Base that i am restoring, and looking for a place where i can get a package deal on my front split bench w/head rest, bench rear, and all 4 side panels, and head liner. I was told of a place by the fella i had purchased it from but he has since moved and i have no way of getting in touch with him. I seem to remember it was very resonable also. I am looking to go with the pearl. It's a shame because i only need the front bench done as it has a couple small cracks and that is it, but i was told that if i have the front done the rest of the interior will not match. The rest of the interior is a little dirty but in very very good condition. Thank you in advance for any advise.
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:34 PM

Well.... it depends on how much the interior has faded from the sunlight. I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't think the pearl white would fade very much. If the rest is good you might consider dying it or at least try that before spending the money to replace parts that are still decent. There's a number of interior vendors out there but most posts here say Legendary interiors are superior to other brands. They are having their annual Christmas Discount until I believe January 18th. There's a thread here discussing that.

P.S. welcome to the site!

John
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:38 PM

Thank You John for the welcome

I just hate to get rid of something that is still in good condition. I was thinking the same thing, just getting the front done and seeing how it matches. They have some cleaners out now that do wounders and it might just match up very close.
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:43 PM

... and if the other option is to buy new stuff what have you got to lose! Try cleaning it and maybe even try spraying it with vinyl dye if the color doesn't match the new seat cover. If all else fails, then by new componets.

If your not sure what products to use create a new thread asking that. I know there's at least a couple members here who do interior work.

John
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Welcome to the site.
My seats are leather and vinyl with cloth inserts.
I replaced the cloth and cleaned up the leather and vinyl with cleaners.
For my requirements this suited me fine as everything came up fairly well for a nearly daily driver and fine for show and shines.
Like you, I cannot see the point in replacing stuff that is quite adequate anyway.
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:00 PM

Great idea, thanks John i will do that now. I can't stop working on this ride of mine. I am so pumped that it will soon be complete. The motor was complete this weekend and now i'm waiting for them to spray. I am also having a power disc brake (front) package done with all new suspention. I have been waiting to do this for 18 years. I had a 71 18 years ago and had just got it done, I mean really just drove it out of the body shop and complete, and 2 hours later a drunkin women rearended me and totaled the car and really messed my back up. So this is a really big thing for me.

Thanks again John, I hope to talk to you again sometime
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the reply Downunder

What cleaners did you use and how well did they work, Again i have pearl interior so what ever i use will have to be pretty good I'm thinking. My wife uses these white sponges of some kind. She says if those don't work nothing will. They sound like they may be to strong maybe.
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Ben

Find someone with a steam cleaner, or go to a professional detailing shop that has one.

None of the products you find at the autoparts store are very good at Cleaning the vinyl & protecting/restoring it. A professional detailing shop has products that are much better- and likely they won't charge much for the service.

For replacement upholstery, Legendary Auto Interiors is the best option if you are trying to match the original color/shading.

PUI brand covers which are available through most reproduction suppliers are going to be considerably cheaper and are still decent quality- but the legendary stuff is head and sholders better quality, and worth the $$ if its in your budget.

THey are currently having a sale through Jan15- worth a look.
Old December 26th, 2012, 07:55 AM

A couple of very good cleaners that I have used are Simple Green & Fantastik. Fantastik seems to work very well on vinyl.
I have a pearl interior and just replaced the door panels with PUI products from OPG. They were pretty decent but had some minor issues/flaws. I have not seen the Legendary products, but everyone on the forum swears by them. If I had it to do over again, I would buy from Legendary.
That being said, the previous owner did the interior in 2004, but didnot take care of it. The door panels had speakers mounted to them and some of the switches were in the wrong locations. They also had white arm rests, which stood out like a sore thumb. I replaced the door panels and arm rests only. They match the rest of the interior pretty well - so I would start only with the parts that need replacing first.
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by perchhead
My wife uses these white sponges of some kind. She says if those don't work nothing will. They sound like they may be to strong maybe.
Your wife is refering to Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I haven't used them on my vinyl interior in my car but I use them in my boat and they work great. Find a spot that you can't really see and try them. My wife swears by them too.