The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie here

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM

Newbie here

Hello folks, I'm new to the CO forum and new to restoring cars. I'm only 21 but I love classic muscle cars, I have a 1970 cutlass supreme and a 1971 Chrysler Newport. I had a 69 impala too but I didn't have enough room so I had to get rid of it. My cutlass is in pretty rough shape and needs resto and I've decided it's about time to start some work. The thing is I don't even know where to start, I know it's gonna take a lot of time and money but its definitely worth it in the end. I've been looking at parts from year one and opgi, I was wondering if there were any other good sites for parts for a decent price. Also any idea where the best place would be to get a new 350 crate to drop in. Here's a picture of the cutlass now, I know most of you are gonna hate the rims but I got a really good deal on them and had to replace the ones that came on it (cracked rim) so please take it easy on me, I'm just here to learn as much as I can so I can return the favor one day to somebody else. Thanks for any help and input it's greatly appreciated. - Dylan

*ill have to upload the pictures later bc my computer is acting up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (122.8 KB, 17 views)
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:26 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Nice looking car. Some suggestions: I would sit down and create a list of items that needs attention and then you can prioritize it. Parts can be ordered from Fusick's, they are an excellent source. Never ordered from Year One or OPGI but I would think they are good sources too. Other places exist where you might save a few $$$ like Brothers Auto, Tamraz and the Parts Place but some people here have complained about their customer service.

What 350 do you have in your car? Is it an Olds motor or Chevy? If you're not sure, post a picture of it. It should have come with the Olds version unless someone changed it out. Hopefully not. The Olds motor you can get rebuilt and probably can post a thread asking for a good recommendation on a rebuilder in your area. If someone replaced your Olds engine with a Chevy, you can find them in a catalog like Summit or Jegs.

Good luck and let us know what it needs...There are a lot of good people here who are willing to help.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:49 AM

Welcome. Looks like a great looking project. I won't comment on the rims however. Year One and OPGI tend to be a little on the high side for the same parts others listed sells. Write down a plan on what you want it to be and the parts needed to set a budget. I then always double that and you will be alot closer in the end. There is a wealth of information on this board and it is the most helpfull and friendly one around! Good luck with your project!
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:54 AM

Hey old skl thanks for the reply. I've been dying to go over the car and create a parts list but unfortunately I'm in the hospital right now (crohns disease) so I can't come up with a full list but I do know I need a front grille, headlight bezels, new bumper bolts, and a few other odds and ends. The motor is a gold 350 rocket, but I'm not positive if its a numbers matching car, I tried looking but it was pretty damn hard to see, I hope it is tho. I'm located in Tampa, fl btw I forgot I left that out in the first post. Thanks for the advice on other stores to get parts from I'm about to hop on their websites and search around. Once again thanks for the help. - Dylan
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:04 AM

Thanks ziff, I know I know the rims are dumb but I got a really good deal and I was helping a friend get rid of them. I noticed opgi and yone are pretty ridiculously priced so I didn't really want to shop with them, they're websites are just clean and easy to navigate. As for what I want to do with it, I basically just want it to be a nice weekend cruiser, nothing crazy and I'm definitely not worried about resale value bc I doubt I'll ever sell it, my dads gonna be helping me do a lot to it so I'd like to keep it until I grow old just bc of the memories. Thanks again - Dylan
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:24 AM

Welcome. It is always good to see "youngblood" in the hobby.

As has already been indicated, OPGI and Year One are pricey. Resort to them only when the part cannot be found.

Good places to look: The national Olds clubs have member ads, permit you run an ad and know where parts may be found. Believe it or not, eBay is not a bad source. You might also look on Craig List.

Good luck and enjoy that ride with the, ahem, different wheels!
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Welcome - nice ride. As mentioned above there are many places to get parts. You can also do a search by part type or name, for example weather stripping, and buy direct. Your local auto parts store will probably have most mechanical parts in stock or they can be ordered in a short period of time. Plan your projects to ensure all parts are received prior to starting. Budgeting and prioritizing are a must when fixing up an old car, so do your homework.

Good luck.