The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from WA state!!!

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:59 AM

Hello from WA state!!!

Hello guys and gal's, I live in the Seattle area and have a 1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 convertible. The vehicle was my grandparents but they have passed away and my family inherited the vehicle and their house.

The car has been sitting for 10 years and fired right up w/ a brand new battery. I always wanted to get it going but w/ my military obligations(out now disabled) and having kids I now have the time for it so I got it towed down here and doing a restoration on it in my neighbors shop. I've had so many fond memories of this car and cant wait to get it fully functional. This seems like the place that I can learn alot.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Quinn
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM

Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:05 PM

Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:24 PM

nice car
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 88 rocket
nice car
Thank you!!! I just can't wait to get her in pristine condition. I am having a hard time finding some stock parts for it.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:58 PM

Welcome to the site! Yes, X2 on the nice car comment. I'd encourage you to create a parts wanted thread listing what you need. Some of the items may be available while other things will need to be found used. I don't know if Dalton has anything that would work for you but you might contact him to see. Here's a parts for sale thread he created:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-sale.html

John
Old November 22nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Randy C.

Welcome to this site! You've got a great car and I hope to see you at some of the car show events next summer. I see you have current plates on your car - if you don't drive it that much, you can put an "era correct" plate or a collector plate on the car for about $45 and not have to re-register it every year. I don't drive mine that much so that's what I did with an "era correct" plate.

Randy C.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Quinn, Welcome aboard.
The car looks fantastic. I'm also in awe that you have green grass and leaves on the trees. We have over a foot of snow here.

Enjoy those last days of cruising while you can.

Thank you for your military service; I'm really sorry to hear you ended up disabled. Hope it doesn't slow down your desire to do the resto though.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Welcome to the site! Yes, X2 on the nice car comment. I'd encourage you to create a parts wanted thread listing what you need. Some of the items may be available while other things will need to be found used. I don't know if Dalton has anything that would work for you but you might contact him to see. Here's a parts for sale thread he created:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-sale.html

John
Thank you so much!!! I am currently writing down a list and should have it completed by next Tuesday. Some of the things I am missing I dont know the name of them so I will post pics and circle what they are. I will be pulling the transmission out on Sunday to have a look to make sure everything is looking good. I will have my fingers crossed.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Welcome to this site! You've got a great car and I hope to see you at some of the car show events next summer. I see you have current plates on your car - if you don't drive it that much, you can put an "era correct" plate or a collector plate on the car for about $45 and not have to re-register it every year. I don't drive mine that much so that's what I did with an "era correct" plate.

Randy C.
Thank you!!! I would love to come to some shows and events, my son who is 4 just loves cars, and I will bring along my old man. It would make a good father, son, and grandson experiences.

Since you mentioned the plate I just noticed something, my back plate is a collectors plate and my front plate is a totally different plate. I will have to call the Dept. of licensing to figure it out.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Quinn, Welcome aboard.
The car looks fantastic. I'm also in awe that you have green grass and leaves on the trees. We have over a foot of snow here.

Enjoy those last days of cruising while you can.

Thank you for your military service; I'm really sorry to hear you ended up disabled. Hope it doesn't slow down your desire to do the resto though.
Thank you!!! we have had a pretty warm fall, the funny thing was when I took that pic 30 minutes earlier it was raining hard so I quickly put the top down and did a little drive to test the engine and trans out lol.

Tank you, my disability is actually going to help me out both ways w/ this restoration. I suffer from PTSD and have a hard time in crowds and sometimes driving. but I am getting better via counseling and medication.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:20 PM
Randy C.

If you have a collector plate on the rear bumper, that's what the law calls for. You can remove the front bumper license plate. The collector plate calls the shots on this one. With a collector or "era correct" plate, the law says you only need the rear plate. That really is a nice car and it's great that you have so much history for it through your family. My '68 is the same way - my dad bought it brand new and it stayed in the family for its entire life thus far.

Randy C.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:53 AM
Ben

You might check their house for the old "WASH 63" plate... If they had it since new, they might have nailed the original plates to the wall in the garage or something.

Once you register it as a collector vehicle (plate) then if you have (or buy) correct vintage plates, you can register them and run those.

My car has the original 1966 Washington plate on it, since the original owner of my car kept them all these years and let me have them after i contacted him!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:47 AM

Welcome to another web footed Washingtonion

Glad to have you with us . Sweet drop top. This is a great place for information and help check out all of the different forums
Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM

Like previous posters have said, Welcome to the group and thank you for your service in the military. All of you Vets were in my Thanksgiving wishes.

Your convertible is newer and in MUCH better shape than my 47 Makes me wish I'd kept my 65 Cutlass convertible. Good luck on your project.

Jerry
Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Welcome to CO. Good to see another Seattle member and one with a drop top. Looks like you have a nice car. You will find a lot of knowledge on this site to help you with your car.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:43 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome. Nice ride.
Old November 24th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Another early 60's Olds fan in the fold. Welcome!
Old November 24th, 2012, 04:29 PM
General Confusion

Beautiful Car! It needs work? WHERE?
OK i saw a ding in the fender, but ......
Old December 4th, 2012, 05:35 PM

Thank you!! guys for the warm welcome!!! Having some engine issues needs new gaskets, and transmission issues. I broke down on the side of the road last week. It was strange the hot & cold light came on and I lost power. Waited 15 mins and it finally started up and I was able to get back home luckily.
Old December 4th, 2012, 05:58 PM

welcome from ohio, nice car and good luck in your future projects