The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to Forum - Need Suggestions where to find Parts

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2012, 08:35 AM

New to Forum - Need Suggestions where to find Parts

Hi,

I've got a 63 Olds Starfire Convertible that is in need of new motor and transmission mounts. I contacted Fusick Auto and they reported they have mounts for a hardtop but the convertible has unique Transmission mounts that they don't have. They referred me to Steel Rubber who also does not have the trans. mounts. Greatly appreciate if anyone has suggestions who I could contact to get these rare Transmission mounts.

Thanks,
Chris
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Oldsdruid

Let me double-check the parts book. I'm trying to remember if there is any difference in those trans mounts.

Steele couldn't revulcanize yours?
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Steele can revulcanize your originals, for a price. NOS originals pop up on ebay routinely, so write a search script and they'll show up in your email inbox.
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:38 AM

Trans Mounts

I called Steel and they said they could NOT revulcanize them. I contacted "Then And Now Automotive" said they could revulcanize them but they need me to take them off the car, send to them so they can quote and then would need 4 months to complete the job. I hate the idea of having to put the car up on blocks for 4-5 months and hoping I can find someone who has the mounts or can at least provide a quote to do the job without me having to take them off the car first just to get a quote.

I appreciate the support the forum is providing on validating if the Trans. Mounts for the Convertible are really different from the HardTop or not and possible places to get the mounts.

Thanks,
Chris
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:41 AM

rocketraider .. if you can provide me the OEM Part Number would be great as that will help monitoring eBay if they ever show-up. My biggest concern is the report from Fusick that the Convertible is a unique part-no. as they have the HardTop mounts in stock so if those will work I'll get them.
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Welcome aboard Chris.That is a class car.

I'm trying to imagine what would be different in the chassis of a 63 convertible that would call for a different motor mount than a standard car, the transmissions are the same.Rocketraider does it show a different part number I know you have a lot of info on that era of car? In the earlier series of cars they used the same mounts......Tedd
Old November 15th, 2012, 02:22 PM

If it has a automatic transmission Rockauto has them however there was no mention of hardtop or convertible on Rockauto
Old November 15th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chuck_66
If it has a automatic transmission Rockauto has them however there was no mention of hardtop or convertible on Rockauto
I was all set to post that this was another example of the RockAuto catalog being wrong, but guess what - those ARE the correct mounts. The listing says Left. I don't know if Right is different or not.
Old November 15th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Thanks everyone .. I'll give Rackauto a call and see if they can ship them out and if they don't work send them back.

Has anyone been able to determine why Fusick says the mounts for the convertible are different than the hardtop? I even called them why their catalog said that and the rep. confirmed he believes the convertible mounts are different which feels odd to me as the only thing I could think of is the frame cross bar might be bigger to put more weight on the bottom of the car given it is a convertible. Again, if anyone has access to the original OEM part number book would probably settle the debate if Conv. model had different part no than hardtop.
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I was all set to post that this was another example of the RockAuto catalog being wrong, but guess what - those ARE the correct mounts. The listing says Left. I don't know if Right is different or not.
Joe, the mounts made by RockAuto are made by Anchor Industries and according to their website http://www.showmetheparts.com/anchor/ there is a part number for left and part number for right and unfortunately the right side is listed as NA so it looks like I'm back to the drawing board trying to find a left & right side transmission mounts .. and of course the big question if the mounts for a convertible are different than hardtop which hopefully RockRaider can find the answer in his parts book
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Oldsdruid

Parts book confirms that the 63-64 convertibles use different mounts. I can't tell you what the difference is, but there are different part #s.

Grp 0.027- 1963 HMT convertible except F85, 1963 88 HMT police- p/n 586908 RH, 586909 LH

Same part #s for 1964 in same applications. Convertibles and police cars had the heavy duty frame, so there has to be some difference in the frame crossmember.

Surprises me that Steele can't revulcanize these as they have always promoted their RV services pretty heavy.
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:25 PM

RocketTraider,

Thanks so much for finding the OEM part-numbers and confirming the parts numbers for the convertible are in fact different than the hardtop. I also got an email from Oldskeeper who has restored several 63-98 hardtops and convertibles and he reported the only difference between the two parts is the "converts mount has a hole in it and the coupe one doesn't" and felt the hardtop mounts should work on the convertible.

I think I'll order a new set .. see if they match-up and if they do make the switch. If they don't than I'll pull off the originals and send them off to be revulcanized.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Chris