The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

2001 alero

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM

Unhappy 2001 alero

Hi! I have a 2001 alero yesterday backing out of the driveway my trackoff,service engine soon ,and anti lock ,lights came on .Pushing the esp button on console makes no differents. please help.
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Always had trouble with ESP Iwould find someone with a code reader to help. Welcome to the forum.
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM

get the code read, its just a guessing game at this point but my guess is wheel speed sensor signal.
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Cutlass Lover

This happened to me in my 2001 Intrigue a couple years ago. We'd be going down the road just fine, and if I had to stop for a red light or something, she'd all of a sudden hesitate like, and the traction off light, service engine soon light and anti lock lights all would come on. This would happen pulling out of a parking lot too.

I had my mechanic clear the computer out from all readings in it, and when it happened 3 more times I took it back to them and when they read the computer, it showed something to do with the crankshaft sensor. Crankshaft position sensor is what I want to say... That was what it read all 3 times. They replaced that sensor and it's never done it again. Look in your owners manual. It mentions it in there somewhere. Or look it up on line and read about it. I did! I still don't understand what it has to do with the crankshaft, but what do I know? It wasn't cheap, if I remember correctly. Wish I could get the receipt and look on it to see what they called the diagnosis, but my daughter has the car and it's in the glovebox.

Take it somewhere and get it read and have the computer cleared so you know that's the only code that will show when it does it again!!

Last edited by cutlassgal; August 10th, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:51 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

That generation Alero / Grand Am has weak OEM front wheel bearings. Once they have a bit of play the wheel speed sesor errors out the ABS and Traction Control controller. I have had two Grand AMs, a 2002 and my current '03. I have replaced three and purchased the third and I am waiting for the time to do it.. The sensor, bearing and hub unit are one piece units. Not to bad to replace but usually they don't come out in one piece. You need the right size socket to get your axle nut / CV shaft nut off and you will need to separate the strut and control arm.

I have no way other than scan to figure out which side is failing.

Adam
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:05 PM

It's a wheel hub. Gotta get it scaned to see which one it is
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dannyb
Hi! I have a 2001 alero yesterday backing out of the driveway my trackoff,service engine soon ,and anti lock ,lights came on .Pushing the esp button on console makes no differents. please help.
Take it to your nearest dealer or favorite shop, it's probably, as mentioned above, a speed sensor, or something associated with the anti-lock brakes!
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:48 PM

The biggest problem. Gm has with this the harness to the wheel speed sensor. With the steering and suspension movement the wires in the in harness break than turn on trac light and service light. The wires are so small and cannot take the stress. You can replace harness pretty easy.
Have done on my wifes buick century. And fixed the problem
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Past Administrator

Hope you get the problem fixed and welcome to our site.