The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello fellow Oldsmobilians!

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2011, 10:45 PM

Hello fellow Oldsmobilians!

I just purchased this 1963 Olds Dynamic 88 Holiday off eBay! I sold my 2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road for this big baby. I am using it as my daily driver. My friends think I'm nuts, but I take very good care of my vehicles and feel this is a smart investment. This car will hold it's value or appreciate, wheras that Nissan would've kept depreciating. This car has the original drivetrain with a 394 Rocket, dealer installed A/C (a must for Memphis in the summer), and 100% pristine original interior! The previous owner repainted it with PPG paint, cut the springs, and added the wheels (otherwise its completely stock). I don't plan to do much to it, but I'm sure I'll have to check in here often for advice. This is my first Olds, but my "toy" is a frame-off restored 55 Chevy Hot Rod! Glad to be here and look forward to learning about these beauties!
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:59 PM

WOW! 1PDQ55, that is one good lookin' Oldsmobile. I think you done good! Welcome to CO,you're gonna' like it here. I really like the stance of your car; and a DD, yet.
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:24 PM

Thanks Aron, I really feel I got an incredible deal on the car. I was searching for months for really any 60's car that I thought was cool and this beauty popped up on my radar. It was too good of a deal to pass up. The interior and air conditioning won me over. The interior looks like it has never been used - everything works!! I also liked that it was a GM car, I just don't like the styling of the Fords and the Mopars are too expensive for the ones I like.
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Past Administrator

That is one fine car! I love the white steering wheel and the wheel/tire/suspension treatment. They are close enough to aftermarket wheels of that period to not look too out of place but just large enough to fill the wheel wells and not look like a 'clown car'. Glad you are keeping them, they look good. Welcome to CO.
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:58 AM

I think I saw your car on E-Bay. Really nice.. Could I ask you about the wheels & tires? I thought I remember the previous owner saying he didn't alter the suspension & the wheels were 18" front & 20" rears. I ask because I am thinking of doing my car the same as yours, but hesitate cutting the springs. Do you know how much the springs were cut & what size are the wheels & tires. Appreciate your answers.
Higgins
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM

Welcome aboard Shawn
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Oldsdruid

I like it.

Looks like you have a low-compression 2-barrel 394 which will still have plenty of oomph and will tolerate modern gasoline better than one of the 10.25 versions. Also looks like someone has already converted you to dual master cylinder.

You really want to modernize, Scarebird.com sells disc brake kits for front and rear. Just wish I knew why the Oldsmobile kits are so expensive compared to the rest of the GM cars.
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Very nice car.
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! She's a beauty!!!!!!
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Welcome to CO

Sweet ride. I really like the color combo. Nice to have the AC where you live, makes cruising enjoyable in the summer months
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Thanks for all of the kind words guys! I really think I got a great deal on this car, it is so clean. I know I've got some challenges trying to use it as a daily driver, but I really got tired of having a boring car that just got me from point A to B. Higgins, they are 275/45/20 and 245/40/18, but I don't know the backspacing. I'll have to ask the previous owner and get back to you. I would suggest two things though - drop the rears to 265, it doesn't really rub, but man it is close! The other is to put 45s on the front just for comfort purposes. By the way he did cut the springs 1/2 coil I believe (maybe 1).
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:10 PM

slick car!! I really like the color and the rims on it really show off its style.....
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by fasteddi
slick car!! I really like the color and the rims on it really show off its style.....
Yeah, the rims are a little "blingy" for me but I like the size. I think the color combo did it for me. It is essentially the stock color but upgraded to PPG poly with clear. I'm not sure if the roof was originally white or not . . .
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:51 AM
Oldsdruid

It probably was. Most of the 62-64 GM pseudo-convertible hardtops had contrasting painted tops and it is unusual to find one that wasn't. White was more prevalent.

Starting mid-63 GM offered its first vinyl roof covers in black or white. I've seen a couple of Impalas and LeSabres with it but I don't think I've ever seen an Olds or Pontiac with a factory installed one.
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:07 AM

You have a very nice car! I love the stance! This is how I would like my car to look. Thanks for the idea you just gave me!