The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

70 cutlass overheating and timing problems

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM

70 cutlass overheating and timing problems

i have a 1970 cutlass withand olds 455 in it and has been running good for a while, recently whenever i turn off the engine and knocking and pinging noise will occur then shoots out gas out the carb... (will sometimes have to click key forward, the engine starts again then shuts down when i turn off) and makes same noise then stops.
We understand that there is a timing problem and it need to get fixed. we went out and bought a timing light. noticed that my car does not have a timing tab on it. we pulled one from the junkyard(68 cutlass)(engine was torn apart and didnt know wht size motor?). is the timing tab for the 350 equivalent for the 455 engine? also noticed that the distributor doesn't have a hold down bolt...all got that out the junkyard. we dont want to rotate distributor until we have a fixed point to see where the current timing it atand make it any worse... need to see if timing tab will fit and if its the right one..

OVERHEATING problem... bought the car from port allen baton rouge and drove it to destrehan( by New Orleans) and it had no problem overheating, stayed around 190-200F. when in neighborhoods, stop and go... or stand still itll get up to 210F quick. car DOES NOT have a theremastat, we have replaced the seal on the theremostat housing and noticed that there was no thermostat in there. ( recommend getting a thermostat 160 degrees?) my dads 70 cutlass (455) has one and maintains a temp of 170-180F, and alos we are about to change/flush the radiator fluid and see if that will make somewhat of a difference. but does not having a theremostat in the car cause it to overheat. i have electric fans that kick on around 130F

i also wanted to knwo wht is the correct spot you install the temp gauge monitor, mine is located in the back . wanting to know if it needs to be installed in the front to get a more accurat reading?

please read, need to get these problems fixed! thanks

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...2/100_0452.jpg

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...2/100_0586.jpg

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...2/100_0442.jpg
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...2/100_0598.jpg
Old December 6th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Almost sounds like a vacuum leak - check all the rubber lines, as that'll make it run lean!
Are you using premium fuel??
Is the carb tight?
Old December 6th, 2010, 07:59 PM

we did more research on internet and found that the carb seeting could be runing to rich. and regular fuel.have heard from many to start using premium... when we first bought the car it wasnt making the noise. as of now it seems to be getting worse and worse
Old December 6th, 2010, 08:38 PM

from what it sounds like there was no hold down bolt on the dist. which causes two problems. one is that the timing will move around, the second is that there may not be a good ground to the dist. housing which will cause ignition issues. you need to fix that and get the timing corrected and under control. it also sounds like you have only an electric fan and no mechanical fan. if so it would depend on what fan you have. lots of the ones out there sound good in the advertisment but flow half or less than the original mechanical fans. a good mechanical clutch fan and proper shroud will flow more cfm and cool better than most of the electrics.
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Looks like most of your problems are related to timing which is related to the hold down not being installed. I bet your timing is way advanced. About the temperature sensor location, usually they are located in the front water crossover closest to the driver's side head
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:06 AM

A belt driven fan with a good clutch will help you and your car keep your cool!
Fan clutches often fail to where they freewheel all the time, causing overheating at stops. I had this issue myself when i got my car.