The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Seating

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Seating

Hi,

How's it going, by the way I'm Moses. Got a question regarding seat tracking. I have a 68 Cutlass Supreme that to best of my knowledge is numbers matching and bone stock. I'm 6'4" and I'm considering having the a metal track welded to tracking bar on floorboard under drivers seat to extend seat travel back a lil bit to give me more leg room. Would you advise this? Knowing very well not to mess with original product, I don't want to jeopardize it's value or worth. I really like the car, otherwise I wouldn't have invested in it. I'd like to keep it as original as possible, other than maintenance. What do you think?
Thank you for your time and patience.

Moses
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Past Administrator

Or, would there be a way to have the seat frame modified so when mounted in the factory position the upper pat of the seat (lower seat cushion part and everything up) is a few inches back from original? This would require all the padding and upholstery to be removed and part of the seat frame would have to be cut and/or welded but the end result would not be as noticeable. At the very least, no permanent alteration would have been made to the body itself and nobody would notice. At the very worst, you could un-do it by finding a stock un-altered seat to take it's place if necessary.

Welcome to CO.
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Thank you Dan, I will give this some thought and get back to you.

Thank you again!
M-
Old September 19th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Oldsdruid

This is the biggest reason I won't own a 68-72 A-body. I'm 6'3" and I don't fit in them. Forget a trip of more than 50 miles in one.

Some years had provision for relocating the seat rearward an inch or so to gain legroom for tall drivers. Not sure if 68 had that or not.
Old September 19th, 2010, 07:49 PM

A local connection said he might remove driver seat altogether, bolt extension track pieces to floorboard as a safety precaution in case car is rear ended and I go flyin' into windshield with seat right behind me! Then IF car is ever sold, brackets can be removed for new owner, if requested. I'm 6'4" and would enjoy the extra room kinda like Wilt Chamberlain did in the MG commercial! I will drive the car more often too!

Thanks for your replies!
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM

I'll look into provision for relocating the driver seat rearward, good point! Thanks!

BTW...I have not been able to locate the build sheet yet. It's not under either front seat or the carpet under these two seats, nor under carpet near middle hump (above trans) . I have yet to lift up rear seat bottom. Does anyone know if the 68 Cutlass had the build sheet under rear seat? Or does location vary for each 68?

Thank You!
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Registered

I made a set of track extenders for mine, the only problem is that the seat adjustment **** goes behind the floor seat belt retractor when the seat is all the way back.
They will give you a couple of inches more room. I'm 6'2 with long legs and could hardly fit in my Vista Cruiser, the bench seat, small front door and B pillar post make it worse.
Moving the seat back helped but it was still too tight, steering wheel hit the tops of my thighs, I put in a tilt column and problem solved.
You can't move the seat back any more than about two inches, about all those brackets would be safe for structurally in the event of a crash.
I copied some I saw on evilbay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-78...#ht_1883wt_945

Last edited by Bluevista; September 20th, 2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM

This is a GREAT help!

Thank you to everyone for your help!!
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Also make sure the rear of the seat frame will clear the tranny tunnel when everything is bolted up AND the carpet and padding is installed.
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Thanks Rob, good point to make! I just spoke with fabricator that will do the work this week, I'll tell him your tip, I'm sure he's aware of it.

Thank you very much!
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:31 AM

Had front seat tracking repaired. They removed seat from floor, adjusted chrome lever on drivers side that shifts seat to and fro so the seat belt reel need not be moved, installed removable brackets on floor. Seat now moves back a good 4 inches, which is a TREMENDOUS help! Transmission tunnel not affected with repair of seat tracking. All work done can be put back to normal if and when car is ever sold.
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Cool,

How bout sum detailed pic Moses. I think Jesse is 7' and I know he loves A bodies.
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:41 AM

In my attempt to locate build sheet for 68 Cutlass, I attempted to pull out the rear seat backrest and accidently chipped the fabric from the rear deck valance! I am guessing it chipped from being in closed up storage for 30+ years? I stopped right then and there, didn't want to incure more damage. Any suggestions in removal of this seat?

Thank you for your help.
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Cool,

How bout sum detailed pic Moses. I think Jesse is 7' and I know he loves A bodies.

I will take some pics as soon as I can of seat repair and other shots of car and download. Thanks for asking!
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Also make sure the rear of the seat frame will clear the tranny tunnel when everything is bolted up AND the carpet and padding is installed.

Beautiful 442! Looks solid and comfortable too!
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM

Moses, that is cool info! We look forward to seeing pics.

FWIW, Jamesbo is correct. I am 7' tall. I don't know how you A body guys do it. I just decided to buy a 98 instead of messing with the seat. I barely fit in Oldsguy's 77 Cutlass!
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Moses, that is cool info! We look forward to seeing pics.

FWIW, Jamesbo is correct. I am 7' tall. I don't know how you A body guys do it. I just decided to buy a 98 instead of messing with the seat. I barely fit in Oldsguy's 77 Cutlass!

I have always loved the full size two door American cars from 50's- early 70's, for their looks, comfort level, long hood and feeling of security. I'm 6'4" and need that extra room. In June 2010 I test drove '72 Supreme Coupe and my forehead was "making out" with the rear view mirror!
The owner had the interior all re-done which made the seats more poofy (new foam padding in seats) and yes the drivers seat was moved all the way back. Since I looked at it, he had the seat tracking adjusted but there were other matters about car I didn't feel good about. I came across this 68 that I didn't want to pass on, it has a lot of features that I like of an automobile, especially a 68 Cutlass (You know that feeling you get that you just have this fondness for that certain car that doesn't hold you like another car does?). I still needed to adjust seat tracking though I didn't anticipate putting $3K into it shortly after buying the car for mechanical issues, mostly for "dry rot". I have no regrets buying car, I really like it! The more I learn of it, the more I learn from you guys, the more it is of the car I want.