The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight 4dr p/l

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight 4dr p/l

New to both the wonderful world of olds and classicoldsmobile. I recently bought a 98 4dr pillarless, very original just LITTLE ware and tare and I'm wanting to put a dual system on her so she can breath better. She is a 455 column shift at. My question is can i get some performance manifolds that will go straight on or do i just "cap" the passenger side manifold and get the local exhaust shop to go from there. Not really interested in headers as she will be a daily driver and from what I've read here unless ur doin something more then that then u don't need them.
Thanks heaps.
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM

Talking Welocme to CO

Another Aussie, great, we have several on board and they are a great bunch.

You're on the right track with the cap of the cross over that's the easiest and least costly way to go. I think I am correct in stating that they did it from the factory that way.
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Thats what I wanted to hear. I am going to keep it as original as I can. I'll upload some photos when I get a chance. Thanks a bunch.
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Oldsdruid

65-70 dual exhaust cars have a specific left side manifold to clear the steering box. Without that, you'll be working very close quarters around the starter and lower control arm. It is available reproduction http://gawain.membrane.com/~thornton..._manifold.html

It might appear pricey, but I can promise you'll have a better installation and won't cook your starter or hear exhaust beating against your suspension.

You may have to finagle the shift linkage a little to clear the new exhaust. Factory had 2 different linkages- one for single exhaust, one for dual exhaust. Seems to me would have been simpler to have one that would work for both, but that's not the way Olds did things...
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks rocket, I would rather spend a little more and get the right part first off =) I had seen that website while looking for manifolds but wasn't sure which would fit my 98. http://gawain.membrane.com/~thornton/65_67manifold.html this one shows the right side which I can buy as well. Would I be able to get this one and the one rocket suggested for a more easy install?
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Looking forward to hearing more about your car.
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Those are not for full size cars. Just cap the passenger side get the reproduction drivers as previously stated and you will be good to go. That is how the factory did it for the full size cars.

Originally Posted by Ausraven
Thanks rocket, I would rather spend a little more and get the right part first off =) I had seen that website while looking for manifolds but wasn't sure which would fit my 98. http://gawain.membrane.com/~thornton/65_67manifold.html this one shows the right side which I can buy as well. Would I be able to get this one and the one rocket suggested for a more easy install?
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Thanks for that info 66. I posted some pics of my car in my profile album oldsguy, let me know what u think of her =)
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:50 PM
...should get a life....

G'day up there. Daily Driver? You're not driving too far then
Are you putting it on gas (LPG) ? No way I could afford to take my 455 out every day
The capped exhaust option will work OK. My 67 CS had a shonky job but it still worked fine. Someone had cut the pipe which originally came in from the other manifold about 6" out from the flange, squashed the end flat and welded it up.
There are a number of Olds owners in Qld and a few on C.O.
Good site this.
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:46 AM

Yep no point having a nice car to store it and not drive it =) it will be driven roughly 1 3/4 return trip 4 times a week plus other run around stuff like shopping and the like. There is no way I'm putting lpg on her thats just wrong, if u want a car thats cheap on fuel u don't buy a 455 lol. I'm glad the cap option will work out ok for me, I will make the cap myself it I have to, I have a metal working background so it shouldn't be too hard. I've seen that a few from QLD are on here which is cool. When I registered my ninety eight they had to add the model into the database, apparently no one had registered one up here before.
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:32 PM
...should get a life....

Is that 1 3/4 hours return? I'd burn a tank in 2 days....if I was lucky.
My old 330 V8 got twice the economy and @ 320hp it was no slouch.
This one is definitely no daily driver.
Happy motoring.
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:29 AM

Yeah return trip. 320hp is good to get u moving nicely along lol. Now I have one I already want another one but the next I would not keep original. A nice cutlass would be good then I could upgrade the motor a little not too much and the interior as well =)
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:53 AM

You might also consider welding the passenger's side manifold. I've seen this done before and it works well. The good thing about it is that you don't have to worry about a cap leaking.
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Heck compared to the cost of welding cast iron I would deal with leaky caps all day long.
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Oldsguy paid about $60 to have his passenger's side exhaust manifold welded closed on his 69 Delta 88. Hi-Tech Welding in Lee's Summit, MO did it for him. They also brazed a stainless steel backing onto the bronze Oldsmobile belt buckle I wear. It has held for a number of years with no problems. These guys could weld a cast iron skillet onto a chrome bumper and make it look good!
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Cast iron isn't that hard to weld as long as u heat it up first. I've done this before but I don't have the equipment to do that now. I was going to cut the flange off the very end of the pipe and weld that onto a cap I will make up, then put some exhaust manifold sealer around the flange. All going well this should look good and have no leaks.
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:32 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Ausraven
Cast iron isn't that hard to weld as long as u heat it up first. I've done this before but I don't have the equipment to do that now. I was going to cut the flange off the very end of the pipe and weld that onto a cap I will make up, then put some exhaust manifold sealer around the flange. All going well this should look good and have no leaks.
Sounds like a plan. Flange gasket or just sealer?
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:37 PM

I will be able to just use sealer.