The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Engine Help! I'm new to the board w/a 1971 Vert..which I like to call "No Ceilings"

Old May 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Engine Help! I'm new to the board w/a 1971 Vert..which I like to call "No Ceilings"

I'm new to this board, so I would like to start off and tell everyone hi!!!! I have been reading threads for about three days, but this is my first post. Now its time to get straight to the point. I have a 71' Cutlass Vert that I'm about to redo. I'm going back with original color and interior. I already have all my stuff for my interior and I have 90% of the stuff for my suspension. I have front and rear disk brakes, front end suspension kit, polyurehtane bushing kit, rubber body bushing kit, idler arm, pittman arm, center link, front gsa shock and springs, rear springs "I wasn't sure if I should go with air or gas for the rear shocks?". The biggest question is what to do with the motor. I dont want anything to radical, but just something when I get on it at the light I leave 11's on the pavement..o yeah I dont have posi traction, but it will be installed, but I'm not sure what gears to go with. I may drive it once or twice a month, but when I drive its on the rd at least 50-100mi round trip!!!

Lets talk motor: As I stated I want to beef my engine up a bit. I have a original 4-barrel 350.I want to achieve at least 350hp plus!!! What to do with the trans and what size gears? I'm going to convert to posi..

I already know cam, but it will depend on my compression. Intake, Carb, Ceremic Headers "What kind and size do you all suggest", What kind of pistons? What about heads? I will get a valve job. I'm going MSD Ignition and taking out the points. Dual exhaust w/electric cut outs.

Let me know what you all think and please give all suggestions!!! Dont leave anything out. If you could give stores, model numbers, etc. I have a Dick Miller book in the mail coming to me as well.
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I am sure recommendations will be coming soon.
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Welcome, for gears all around 3.23:1 would be good, but 3.42's better for acceleration out of the hole. If it is going to see highway time the 3.42's will be about 3200 rpms. which some might not like for extended road trips. Ideally, a 4 speed auto would be the way to go if you can swing it.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Hi welcome to the site. That is a lot of questions for a first post. Machine work is going to be key for making that amount of power with your engine. As far as carb, intake, compression. Since you know what cam you want. Your going need parts that work with its power band.

I would recommend making more treads in the right forum for that question to get answers that you need.
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

See you're already hearing from the experts