The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie here 1967 Olds 98 2dr Convertible

Old March 15th, 2010, 02:55 PM

Newbie here 1967 Olds 98 2dr Convertible

Hi all,
I am also new to the site. I recently acquired a 1967 Olds 98 2dr Convertible in solid (nowhere near mint) condition with 41K orig miles.
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Pictures! We need pictures! I have a '67 Delta 88 convertible. I saw from your other thread that you need a trunk lid. What else do you plan to do to the car?
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Congrats on your new purchase. Sounds like a great find. lets see those pictures
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Pics--see I am a newb!

Ok, have to upload some pics. I do have a video of my hubby driving out of garage in August. It had been sitting since 1982 at that time so sounds rough because he ran it on a bottle of gas rigged up under the hood.

Still looks about the same, need trunk lid and fender skirts. By far the neatest thing I've owned in a long time....the car deserves a better "family" than us! lol Try to post the vid here:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player...227/glumdl/012
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:55 PM

Mary,

Are you really contray? Looks like a great project and will make a great summer cruiser. Good luck with the build
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Not as contrary as some, I suppose...

Thanks citcapp! I am excited and daunted at the notion of finding this trunk lid! I have looked around casually, but just moved into "serious" mode when all the paperwork came through for the car.
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:02 PM

When looking for parts, Post your location. That way a member can see if they are close enough to be able to help you out. Shipping a trunk lid very far could be costly.
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the tip. My newbness is still showing! I'll catch on eventually, though.
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site Mary Mary quite contrary!! LOL! Another Buckeye joins up. We're gonna catch up with the Texans pretty soon!
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:09 PM

Welcome, should be a 'beaut in the future. My dad had a '67 98 2dr many, many years ago, really loved the ride.
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Hi Mary: It's nice to have you aboard!

Don't restore it. Sell your parts to me!!!

Just kidding.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. 41K is pretty low mileage to start with.
Old March 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM

Welcome.
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the kind welcome all. Yeah Oldsguy, 41K is low to start with. The story is such a shame. Car was complete and indoors until 1997.

The owner passed away and his heir sold pieces off the car (both seats, trunklid, fenderskirts) and left it parked outdoors under a car cover for five years, until his house got foreclosed.

It has a some surface rust but is still really solid. Runs and drives great too! (my husband sits on a milkcrate!)lol
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Past Administrator

Kind of sad indeed but it's good you have it now.
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:26 AM
...should get a life....

G'day Mary,
Welcome aboard. The photobucket link won't open for me for some reason.
Anybody there who can open them up & post them?
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Registered

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Welcome contrarymary.

Every '67 Ninety-Eight I see is missing the trunk lid.
Do they have a dual purpose so people are grabbing them?
Like a pool table?

Have you tried the salvage yard search places?
I saw a few yards that say they have one but not sure if they're for a convertible or if it matters. I didn't try '66 models.

http://www.car-part.com/index.htm

The shipping will be more than the lid in most cases, I used Greyhound freight when I had my fenders shipped from Texas, 75 bucks a few years ago. You can pick the stuff up at the main bus station or in my case there was a suburban station at the shopping center a few miles away.
My favorite is the Megabus but they don't do parts, only 15 bucks to Chicago from Cleveland.
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:25 AM

Here is a different video link

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
G'day Mary,
Welcome aboard. The photobucket link won't open for me for some reason.
Anybody there who can open them up & post them?
Hey Col Wickham,
Try this. I think it might work for you. The video is a little grainy. It shows my hubby driving it out of it's tomb last August.

He was running it from a milk jug with the gas line submerged in it and a primed carb while sitting on a milkcrate. (Dairy is good for your car too!)

The car has only 41K and runs well now that we cleared the tank, cleaned points and installed new plugs. We are searching for the missing trunk lid, seats and fender skirts.

We are searching for a trunk lid, seats and fender skirts. The body is solid with no apparent previous paint or bondo work. The frame and underbody are gorgeous.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player...227/glumdl/012">

Well, that seems to have turned out the same. Sorry. I will get some new still pics up this week. Thanks for being interested in my find.

Last edited by contrarymary; March 30th, 2010 at 06:32 AM. Reason: link didn't work
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:11 AM

the link worked for me cool car welcome!
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:52 PM

I owned one of these cars for about 22 years and know them pretty well. I still have a number of parts somewhere around here and I think, but I am not sure, that I have the fender skirts.

The ones I had were white but they would need a repaint since the laquer paint on them was all cracked up. They came off a 98 LS but they would fit.

The trunk lids tend to crack on top where they are bolted on to the hinges. This can be reworked by any body shop, but just replacing it is easier. I am not sure but I think the trunk lid you are looking for is unique to the two door. The 1968 might interchange.

I will look around the shop and see what I can find. I might also have some 1967 hubcaps as I picked up a few just in case I ever needed them.

I do have the front fender tips as well as the taillight housings. I just have to find them. These are cast metal, so don't dent them as they cannot be hammered out. I also have a power antenna that might work if yours is gone.

Something you might consider is a swap on the front brakes. Mind had drums and with the 365 HP even 4600 lbs. would get up and go. Stopping was always a bit of a challange, though. If a disc swap can be done with parts off of a later car I would highly recommend it.

Get back with me if you are interested. I will start looking tomorrow and see what I can find. By the way, I am located in central Oklahoma.

One last thing. Mine got 9 mpg in the city and 12 on the highway and premium gas is a must.
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:24 PM

Welcome to CO, Mary, Mary, quite the contrary one! Another one saved!
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks old98owner!

Originally Posted by old98owner
I owned one of these cars for about 22 years and know them pretty well. I still have a number of parts somewhere around here and I think, but I am not sure, that I have the fender skirts.

The ones I had were white but they would need a repaint since the laquer paint on them was all cracked up. They came off a 98 LS but they would fit.

The trunk lids tend to crack on top where they are bolted on to the hinges. This can be reworked by any body shop, but just replacing it is easier. I am not sure but I think the trunk lid you are looking for is unique to the two door. The 1968 might interchange.

I will look around the shop and see what I can find. I might also have some 1967 hubcaps as I picked up a few just in case I ever needed them.

I do have the front fender tips as well as the taillight housings. I just have to find them. These are cast metal, so don't dent them as they cannot be hammered out. I also have a power antenna that might work if yours is gone.

Something you might consider is a swap on the front brakes. Mind had drums and with the 365 HP even 4600 lbs. would get up and go. Stopping was always a bit of a challange, though. If a disc swap can be done with parts off of a later car I would highly recommend it.

Get back with me if you are interested. I will start looking tomorrow and see what I can find. By the way, I am located in central Oklahoma.

One last thing. Mine got 9 mpg in the city and 12 on the highway and premium gas is a must.
Wow, thanks for looking to see if you have the parts. I would be interested in all that, except the fender tips, taillights and antenna. I have those. But I desperately need a trunklid, skirts and a hubcap.

Let me know how much you want to sell them for. I am in Ohio. Someone here told me shipping with Greyhound is really reasonable. I checked and it's true!

Maybe we could work something out that way or I could use whatever shipper is convenient to you. Thanks again!