The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1967 olds delta 88 tire size and paint code

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM

Cool

Last edited by made in the usa; August 3rd, 2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:17 PM

I have a '67 Delta 88 convertible.

The original tire size was 8.55 x 14". I put new Firestone FR380 tires on mine last summer, size 215/70R14, white sidewall out, and I think they look and perform fine. From what I've read and heard, P225/75R14 would be a better match to the original size, but it's apparently difficult to find the 225/75R in 14-inch size. P225/75R15 would be much easier to find. So that's why I went with the 215/70's.

You might check out this site

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...conversion.htm

which has lots of info about tire sizes and tire size conversions.

The paint code would be on the cowl tag located on the firewall on the driver's side. If you're standing in front of the front bumper, it's just to the left of the windshield washer motor. Here's a photo of mine.

Find it and write ALL the numbers down, and then post them. People can tell you quite a bit about your car, including the original paint scheme.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM

I'm running 225/75R14 on my Delmont 88. They are made by Cooper Tires. They call them Cooper Trend Setter SE. Very happy with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1968 DELMONT 88 018.jpg (48.6 KB, 55 views)
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by made in the usa
once i get my brakes done tomorrow
What are you doing to the brakes? Complete job? I just redid the brakes on all four wheels on my car. New wheel cylinders and brake shoes on all four as well as new front brake hoses. Also had all four drums turned. I did all the rest myself.

How long have you had the car?

Last edited by jaunty75; December 2nd, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by FATRATMATT
I'm running 225/75R14 on my Delmont 88. They are made by Cooper Tires.
Did you type in that tire size correctly? I just now went to the Cooper website, and if I put in this size on the "tire selector" page, it comes back with "There are currently no listings for this product." They DO have 215/75R14 in the Trendsetter SE line.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for those tires? I paid about $600 for the four Firestones I have, and that included mounting, balancing, taxes, etc. I'm guessing the Coopers are more?
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:16 PM

cool i saw that tag under there i didn't pay it to much attention
Note particularly that next to one of the codes is the word "PAINT." This is what you really want to jot down, although, as I say, write down everthing, because it'll also indicate some options.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM

Try thes guys for tires, this is where I bought my last set for the 47 Olds. Great guys and they beat the locals even with the added cost of shipping

Diamond Back http://www.dbtires.com/

Another place I have bought tires is Coker Tire http://store.coker.com/ But they were more expensive
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM

I pulled my tire invoice out to make sure I didnt make a mistake and it says Cooper T/S SE WW 225/75R14. Double checked it against the tire and it says the same thing. List price was $88.11 each. Mount and balance N/C. This was back in 05 and since then only 4500 miles have been put on them. Could they have discontinued this tire since then? It makes me wonder, I think I'll call the tire store and see if they are still available
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM

I pulled my tire invoice out to make sure I didnt make a mistake and it says Cooper T/S SE WW 225/75R14. Double checked it against the tire and it says the same thing. List price was $88.11 each. Mount and balance N/C. This was back in 05 and since then only 4500 miles have been put on them. Could they have discontinued this tire since then? It makes me wonder, I think I'll call the tire store and see if they are still available
Interesting. $88 is not a bad price at all.

I would guess that, yes, they have since discontinued the size you have in the four years since you bought your tires. At least, like I said, their website doesn't show that size as being available.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:52 AM

Without hi-jacking this thread, I have a question about 67 Delta 88 wheels. I have seen press release photos of a 67 Delta 88 Custom Holiday Sedan with what appears to be an early Super Stock wheel mounted on whitewall tires. They look great on the car, but I have never actually seen them on this type of car. I don't believe they were ever produced for the late sixties 88's, but just wondered if anyone had any information about the ones on that car or why they were not produced for 88's. I am assuming it might have had something to do with drum/or disc brakes possibly??? I have the photo of that car somewhere. Just curious.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM

I'm putting on Firestone fr-380's 215/75/14 i got all 5 tires for 252.00 dollars and yes i used to work for Firestone as a mechanic so they gave me a good discount
Cheater!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM

I called St Lucie Tire and Battery this afternoon and asked about Cooper Trend Setters 225/75R14 tires and he said he had ONE in stock for $88.00 due to them being DISCONTINUED. I guess I'm lucky I bought them when I did. The Cooper rep suggested using the 215/75R14 as a replacement. 215 is a shorter tire correct?
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM

215 is a shorter tire correct?
It's narrower. That 3-digit number is the width of the tire, measured from sidewall to sidewall, in millimeters

If by "shorter" you mean smaller in diameter, you calculate the outside diameter of a tire this way:

Using P215/75R14 as an example, multiply the 215 by 0.75 (the 75 treated as a decimal as it's the ratio of the sidewall height to the tire width). Double this (there are two total sidewalls, one on each side of the center), and add the wheel diameter.

To put everything in one set of units, 14 inches is 35.28 cm or 352.8 mm.

So this tire's outside diameter, in millimeters, is 215 x 0.75 x 2 + 352.8 = 675.3 millimeters or 26.79 inches.

A P225/75R14 tire would have an outside diameter of 705.6 mm or 28.00 inches. So the answer to your question is, yes, the 215 tire is about 1.2 inches smaller in diameter than the 225 tire, both being 75R14.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:02 PM

i wish my front grill was as straight as yours is.
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmohaulic
i wish my front grill was as straight as yours is.
I wish I had the Olds emblem in the dead center of the grille!
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:49 AM

let me know what you think of my new beater
The dashboard looks interesting. Did the car come without a radio? There looks to be this big woodgrain panel where the radio would be.
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM

OK brakes done paint is picked up tune up and oils all changed runs perfect my gas gage is way past full by two inches or so but never moves running or not could it just be a bad ground never had one that never moved on me thow usually you turn on the key and they go way to far or something like that this one stays put with or with out key on
The gas gauge on my '67 didn't work, either, and still doesn't work properly even though I had it out of the tank and tried to fix it. In my case, it was stuck on "E", which meant it was shorted. If it goes way past full like yours does, that's evidence of an open circuit.

You could have a bad ground. Both the ground wire (black) and the hot wire (orange) attach to the top center of the tank. The ground goes forward and attaches to a screw in the frame above the tank. It might be attached but be so rusty that good electrical contact is not being made. You could get under there and remove the screw and give everything a good sanding and hope for the best.

Then, when the best doesn't happen, you move to the hot wire.

The hot wire goes to the rear and attaches to the wire coming from the dash gauge in the area behind the trunk latch. If you look back in there, you'll see several wires, including those for the back-up lights, license plate light, and gas gauge. The gauge wire coming from the tank (it's orange, remember) attaches to the wire coming from the dash via a little black push-on connector. It's possible yours is disconnected, or it's possible the wire is broken somewhere else along the way.

One thing to do is to find the end of the wire coming from the dash in the area by the trunk latch, stick a wire in the connector, and ground that wire. Then turn the key on. If the dash gauge and wire leading to it are OK, the gauge should immediately go to "E." If that doesn't happen, you have a problem somewhere along there. If it does, your problem is at the sending unit end on the tank, and there is no way to get at that without dropping the tank.

I did that on my '67, and it's not that bad a job, but, in my opinion, the most likely cause of your problem if it's not in the wire from the trunk to the dash is a bad sending unit. So I wouldn't bother to drop the tank unless you have a replacement unit to put in.

In my case, I had hoped that the problem wasn't the sending unit, so I got brave one morning and removed the tank. The sending unit itself was the problem. To make a long story shorter, I tried to fix it, and I thought I had when I put it back in the tank and put the tank back on the car, but no such luck. The gauge did move when I first put gas back in the tank, but it still acts as though the float is stuck.

I've not been able to find a source of replacement sending units. I've seen a couple of NOS ones on eBay, but I've not been able to win the auction, so I'm still looking.
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM

thanks ill try to ground it see what happens i already have the tank out the fuel in it is horrible lol sat since 1997 the tank and sending unit look like there brand new
Wow, if you've got the tank already off the car, you're 99% of the way there! Check the electricals as I've mentioned, and you ought to be able to pinpoint the source of your problems. If the sending unit looks new, it could be something as simple as the hot wire and/or ground wire not being properly reattached by whoever did the job. It's also possible a wire was damaged in the tank reinstallation process. Wouldn't it be nice if it were that simple!
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:10 AM

gas gauge fixed just bad ground thanks again
Not fair! I wish mine had been that simple!