The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Just Tired

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Just Tired

Working on my '62 starfire conv. for over 20 yrs. & the body, well she's still hanging from the rafters and the price per ton ain't hi enough yet but maybe soon...
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Get out there and get started again. We need to save these old cars. Lots of use need encouragement from time to time. Here we are willing to support you so get moving
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Gets depressing for sure. try to look at each part as a different project so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. welcome to the site and dont give up

Last edited by daves62; June 6th, 2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: add greeting
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Daves correct in his thinking. On a big project you break it down into little projects and knock out the little projects one at a time until every thing is completed. Just make out a list of all the little projects then go at it. If you need help just ask, that's what we're here for.
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:57 AM

As Richard would say,

"It's like eating an elephant. Ya gotta take one bite at a time."

Hang in there.
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:59 AM

re. depressing

Well as far as depressing goes with a depressed economy out there, I guess it sure doesn't help. Like it's been said, I guess getting small items done and then moving on to another would be a pretty good system to remain focused. I think my biggest problem is I don't get the one item finished and then I start with something else too soon and nothing gets completed.
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Where are you located may be some folks around you that can get together for group hugs and some wrenching.
Old June 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I have hung a sign in my garage that says "This project is currently 5 years ahead of schedule." I put it up the day after getting the car. It's all about perspective and attitude. Everybody needs encouragement and sometimes you need to step back and take a breath. When somthing goes wrong for me I just look at my sign. It will get done someday. It may be 10 years from now but it will be 5 years ahead of schedule.
Larry
Old June 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM

don't give up. the 62 starfire is at the top of my list of favorite oldsmobiles. i have not had the opportunity to own one yet.
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:22 AM

Smile Flyin' high

Your biggest problem is the body is too far off the floor...you should wear elevator socks as I do...or back your pick-up underneath or get a sky-jacker or build a temporary deck with pontoons under it so we can use it at my place after you are done ...hows the new bench looking?? No group hugs..it will just go to his head we are standing by so just pick up the phone...
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Hay Chequenman,
After 20 some odd years on the rack and with a new bench and all I think the worst is behind you (not that I'm looking) time to start putting her back together.
With the price of premium at 4.50 a gallon you had better hurry and help is only a phone call away.
Just keep the wife away from your tools or you will spend all day trying to figure out where she thinks they should have goneand wife logic is different from shop ligic.
Steve

P.S. Just stand on the roof and sound the horn and we all will acome a runnin.
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM

Have a barbque and invite some car guys to come over. Talk about the project and maybe do some wrenching together. My first major project took 7 years to complete, mostly due to lack of money. But it was my car buddies that kept the dream alive, and the social time of tinkering on each others cars that added to the hobby. Also when I got it painted that was a major step that got me excited about finishing the car.

One of the other threads talked about eating an elephant one bite at a time. I agree if you can break the project down into tasks then feel progress as each task gets completed. In the end the satisfaction will be well worth it.
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:44 AM

What has worked for me and a few buddies is having a Wednesday night car night. Nothing else will get scheduled and at least some progress will get done. Wife knows not to plan anything for my wednesdays. Plus, she knows I have some urgency to getting my car finished. Now that it's painted and she sees progress, it's also a bit easier to pry a few extra cents to put into it.
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Getting my Buttocks in Gear

Well, well, well I guess after all thats been said I'll have to pick up my tools , sort them out (Imperial & Metric) and get my Buttocks in gear to see what trouble I can get myself into today.
Sandblasting in my shop and masking off all the important parts isn't my Forte (as the KIA commercial says) but I guess if I get that part done I can start working in a more clean enviroment, a little more dust free to say the least. So Shovel in my hand or I mean Sandblast Helmut in my hand I better start getnn 'ur done or at least started from where I last stopped. See you all later the garage is starting to fill up with Dust from Blasting and I'm having trouble seeing any great distance....cough! cough!
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor. Thats the best backup a guy can have when working on a large project. By the way where are you located.
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor. Thats the best backup a guy can have when working on a large project. By the way where are you located.

I don't always have a sense of humor but I'm trying to get my Face on. I'm located out in the boonies about 60 kilometers (35 miles) north of Toronto On. Ca. Great place to live and we stop wearing Snow Shoes around the end of March or April depending on how many Igloos we build because we use a lot of snow when we build them!!! When we run out of snow we can't build anymore...
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM

.... And when to we get to see pictures
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
.... And when to we get to see pictures

We get the Pictures when I get smart enough with computers as how You do it, or wait until my Kid comes home and has time to help!!!
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM

How to post pics

When you reply make sure you're in the advanced box.

If not hit "Go advance"

Next scroll down below the reply box and you will see a box that says "manage attachments" click on it and a new box will pop up in front.

Hit "Browse"
then "upload" and wait a sec or two
Close that box when the pics are up loaded and hit "preview post"

Voila pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
brazilian.jpg (46.2 KB, 15 views)
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Hey Jamesbo; I'll try what you've explained but it'll take a while to get my act together and don't be surprised when the pics are upsidedown and backwards as I am a "Newbie" of sorts!!!
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM
olds..older..oldest

Originally Posted by chequenman
I don't always have a sense of humor but I'm trying to get my Face on. I'm located out in the boonies about 60 kilometers (35 miles) north of Toronto On. Ca. Great place to live and we stop wearing Snow Shoes around the end of March or April depending on how many Igloos we build because we use a lot of snow when we build them!!! When we run out of snow we can't build anymore...
Dang!!! if 35 miles north of Toronto is in the "boonies" , at 60 miles north of Toronto where I live, I must be near the edge of the earth!!Hang in there chequenman,we've all been down,frustrated,depressed,broke or tired . As the other posts say,talk about it,break it into bite-sized pieces and then you'll" gitter dun " As my godly old grandma used to tell me at times like your's..."aren't you glad it's like it says in the Good Book--it came to PASS, not it came to STAY "!! Derek [Barrie,Ont. ]
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Smile

Pics of the droptop Starfire are definitely in order! I like all convertibles, but the 62 Starfire is truly a beauty.
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM

Little at a time, do not get overwhelmed. You can do it. Pick one thing and get it done, move to some thing else finish it, and move on. One thing at a time.
One bolt leads to the other, next thing you know your driving out the door.
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by chequenman
Working on my '62 starfire conv. for over 20 yrs. (

I'm going out on a limb and I'm going to say this hobby maybe isnt for you. Sell it to someone that appreciates it
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:02 AM

Give the guy a break maybe he just procrastinates alot. Pick a small project and complete it and see if it gives you some satisfaction if not then think about selling it and buy a more "done" car.
Old June 8th, 2009, 04:44 AM

yah!....buy a driver like I did (the one in the pic) then you will have two cause you wont want to get rid of the project....thats what happened to me...once the project 65 is done then I get to spruce up the driver

It never ends....its like a disease...but it keeps us all occupied
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I have hung a sign in my garage that says "This project is currently 5 years ahead of schedule." I put it up the day after getting the car. It's all about perspective and attitude. Everybody needs encouragement and sometimes you need to step back and take a breath. When somthing goes wrong for me I just look at my sign. It will get done someday. It may be 10 years from now but it will be 5 years ahead of schedule.
Larry
This is along the lines of what I'm thinking.
I know it sounds too simple, but it is like life: Its not about the destination, its about the journey. If you are too focused on being done, you don't enjoy getting it done. And if you don't enjoy getting it done, well, I guess that is pretty self predicting!!
So *less* focus on the finished product could actually help!
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
I'm going out on a limb and I'm going to say this hobby maybe isnt for you. Sell it to someone that appreciates it

Ya, I guess you'ld be out on a limb 'cause I've done a complete Clip off ground up on a '63 Starfire Cpe., collected several other Oldsmobiles which include '62 Starfire Cpe., '62 "98" Holliday 4dr. Htp., '63 Starfire Cpe., and a '63 Starfire Conv.,all in a state of dis-repair but all are complete cars. There's also one other vehicle I haven't mentioned 'cause it's off brand, but here goes, it's a '57 Ford "500" Conv. which I'm trying to also get back on the road after sitting in my shop all alone for the last 10 or so Years and I think I need to install 26 hours into my clock as I'm always short on time. Twenty years sure seems to fly bye. Now that's why I'm just tired, "and now you know the Rest of the story"

Last edited by chequenman; June 8th, 2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:43 AM

chequenman, now we see the whole story. You are burned out and need a vacation. Come over to my side of the world and I will show you around.
Here is some scenery from the racetrack over here, it my brighten up your day. http://picasaweb.google.com/Rdrokit/Trackside#