The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

72 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2019, 09:14 AM
Tay

72 Cutlass Supreme

Hello everyone, I bought my Cutlass in 2013 while stationed in Oklahoma. I drove it semi-regularly until late last year before when I got bored one weekend and snatched the V-belt off and all the accessories/brackets. Kinda wish i did not that because I miss driving it now that it is warming up smh. I'm currently in college so I haven't been able to work on it as much as I would like. I've come across this forum over the last few years when trying to brainstorm which way to go with building her (Delilah). Finally made time (in the middle of class) to join.

After a lot of internet searching and whatnot, I found that the motor is not the original(after decoding the VIN), it is a 455 out a 71 something(based off casting number on oil fill tube). I have not made any modifications to the car other than when originally bought I had to have the intake gasket resealed and the distributor needed to be rotated. before driving it 1200 miles back to Altus, OK from Mooresville, NC. It ran perfectly after getting an oil change before and then again at the halfway point(precautionary action) that alone more than justified the $7800 I sppent buying my baby. Have only had the transmission rebuilt TH350 since then as it went out in 2015. Went for firmer shifts and havent had a problem since other than replacing the steel hosing due to a hole.

Last edited by Tay; April 16th, 2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:37 AM
delete

Welcome & thank you for your service. Hopefully you can make some time for it. Either way, don't sell it. You'll regret it someday if you do.
Old April 16th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Tay

Thank you Ron, and there is no way I would sell this car...I love it too much to let it go...I put myself on a one purchase per yr type deal..basically go to disc brakes all the way around this year then next yr maybe the rearend and so on and so on after that. Looking forward to learning and gaining knowledge about these cars we love so much.
Originally Posted by droptopron
Welcome & thank you for your service. Hopefully you can make some time for it. Either way, don't sell it. You'll regret it someday if you do.
Old April 16th, 2019, 12:19 PM

Welcome! Love my '72 as well!
Old April 16th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Welcome, sweet ride.
Old April 16th, 2019, 09:37 PM
MOTORHEAD

Nice

That is a cool 72
i do like painted roof much better than some vinyl

happy motoring
Old April 17th, 2019, 06:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Be aware that the oil fill tube can be swapped. The VIN derivative stamp on the block will tell you the exact model year of the block. Of course, all the other parts could have been swapped also. Good luck.
Old April 17th, 2019, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
That is a cool 72

happy motoring
Just curious, were painted roofs another model or is it just with the ragtop and trim removed? I was told the ragtop were an attempt to hide ugly welds but I haven't had mine off yet to see if that was true.
Old April 17th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BrawnyMan
Just curious, were painted roofs another model or is it just with the ragtop and trim removed? I was told the ragtop were an attempt to hide ugly welds but I haven't had mine off yet to see if that was true.
Base equipment was paint. The vinyl top was RPO C08, a $99 option. RPO D99 two tone paint was also an option, where the chrome used for the vinyl top was also used to separate the two colors.
Old April 17th, 2019, 07:02 AM
Tay

Thanks Joe, I took that into consideration also. It’s not too big of a deal for me as I am going to have the motor rebuilt anyway. I do know it’s a 455 based off the 396021F on the front and that it has the G heads. Gonna start from the bottom up this summer (brakes/suspension/rearend) until I work my way up to the motor. Still waiting to find out if I’m related to Bill Gates😂
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome. Be aware that the oil fill tube can be swapped. The VIN derivative stamp on the block will tell you the exact model year of the block. Of course, all the other parts could have been swapped also. Good luck.
Old April 17th, 2019, 07:06 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... You won't find a better source of Oldsmobile information then right here at CO...
Old April 17th, 2019, 07:06 AM
Tay

Thanks, I prefer the painted top too..I bought it this way. I got it as a gift for myself on my 21st bday.

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
That is a cool 72

happy motoring