The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Is this site for me too?

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2019, 07:30 AM
90 98 Lover

Is this site for me too?

Hi, everyone. "Newbie" is certainly the right word for me. First, let me say THANK YOU for being here; I've already found some great information here on my first visit. Most of the posts here seem to be from Olds enthusiasts if a different caliber than I am, so I'm hoping there's room for someone like me as well. If this site is truly more for restoration enthusiasts, or show car owners, I won't be offended to be referred elsewhere. You all seem to know your stuff!

I'm a longtime Oldsmobile lover, first for purely sentimental reasons, and now because after driving ONLY 1990 Olds 98s for 21 years, I'm too old to learn any new tricks! I have three 1990 Olds 98s - a Brougham, an Executive Series, and a Presidential. They're all in daily driver condition, with mileages from 155K to 230K, all tabbed and insured for daily use. I live in Grand Rapids MINNESOTA, quite possibly the road salt capitol of the universe, and don't have indoor parking at my house (my Mopar Man husband hogs the inside spots), so they're certainly not restoration candidates. But they've been my road companions for a long time, and I want to take such good care as is reasonable here in the salt tundra. I have a devil of a time finding parts locally, and it's kind of dicey buying parts from someone who doesn't even know what an Olds 98 looks like, so I thought that this might be a good place to connect. IF this is an appropriate forum for an Olds owner such as I, I'd appreciate guidance as to how to best use the site.

Besides my own cars, I know someone with a beautiful 1957 98, in need of a dash pad. This morning I've learned about JustDashes, Dash Restorations in Washington state, Dash Restorations in New Zealand, and Autoline in Sweden. I've reached out to these places, and to two group members already. If anyone on this site's "Newbie Welcoming Committee" can point me to any additional source, I'd be grateful...

Old April 5th, 2019, 07:42 AM

Welcome to the site. This is definitely the place for you to get info and help with your Oldsmobiles. Very cool cars!

Parts for your Oldmsobiles can be found at any local auto parts store. At least mechanical drive train parts, brakes, transmission, cooling, etc. Body parts will be harder to find. You'll either have to source a parts car in a salvage yard or go aftermarket (for pieces such as trim and wheelcovers).

Just Dashes is the place to have a dashboard restored. I've only heard good things about them. You get what you pay for though. IF you don't have a big budget you can get aftermarket dashcovers to at least cover the cracks on an old dashboard.
Old April 5th, 2019, 07:48 AM

Welcome! I pretty much grew up in Bovey.....are you a life long Ranger? ( well, you are almost to the South end of the Iron Range
Old April 5th, 2019, 07:58 AM
90 98 Lover

I'm glad to know I can fit in here somewhere. It's daunting being such a novice, and almost embarrassing to be using the same cyberspace as all these professionals! Yes, I've never had problems getting under-hood or suspension parts. The 3800 seems invincible, and there's nothing real tricky about the suspension. Mine will never be true collector cars, but I just love their exteriors and trim, and I'd like to keep them looking good as long as I can. My poor red car's side emblem no longer says "Ninety Eight," it just says "Eig." I've pretty well exhausted local scrap yards, filled to the brim with Chevy trucks, Ford cars, and a few random Dodges. Maybe some group members here know of other yards that might yield a treasure trove for me. I'm hopeful about the dash for the '57; that car is STUNNING and deserves the best. So far, only Sweden has gotten back to me. I'll present the owner some options once I've heard back from more sources. Looking forward to enjoying more of this site!
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:01 AM
90 98 Lover

Not lifelong - been here 25 years, though. Since you're local (or were), please keep me in mind if you know of any 1989 or 1990 98s for sale. Drivers or donors, I'm sure I can find a home for them.
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site that's everything Olds.
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:14 AM

You might try these sites. They mostly deal with older vehicles but they might have something:

https://www.kanter.com/index.aspx

https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/
Old April 5th, 2019, 09:58 AM

pjr, Welcome to CO from St. Paul. You came to a good place. Wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable people here. WOW Bovey and Grand Rapids, MN. I know a lady from Marble that spends winters in Yuma Az.
Old April 5th, 2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
You might try these sites. They mostly deal with older vehicles but they might have something:

https://www.kanter.com/index.aspx

https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/
Fusick and Kanter for a 1990 vehicle? Really? Get real!

As noted earlier, mechanical parts for these cars are readily available over the counter, and body and trim parts will have to come from junkyard cars as it is unlikely that these will ever be produced in the aftermarket. As far as when we might see parts for 1990 vehicles in the Fusick catalog? I'd say about 2050 or so!
Old April 5th, 2019, 10:57 AM

Welcome to the site.

Originally Posted by pjri00
please keep me in mind if you know of any 1989 or 1990 98s for sale. Drivers or donors, I'm sure I can find a home for them.
With a mindset like that, you will fit in perfectly here!
Old April 5th, 2019, 05:04 PM
Hookers under Hood

Welcome to CO, you stumbled upon the best, all Oldsmobile site on the web! Their is always room here for 98 Olds lovers. Nice fleet of Olds you have. All members here help each other out with all their needs and repairs.
As Kenneth mentioned, you will fit in perfectly.

Eric