The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1970 Cutlass Supreme Convertible - Prepping to sell

Old March 18th, 2019, 10:18 AM

1970 Cutlass Supreme Convertible - Prepping to sell

Provo, Utah - I have what I believe is a 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible - Looks to have been repainted at some point. Fairly clean, unfortunately, looks like some teenagers cut the top to get into it. Interior looks to be in really good shape front seats have been reupholstered at some point though. I need to get it out in the sunlight and wash it off and get some more pictures. My plan is to get it sold, a neighbor of mine really wants it and has offered $3300 but I think that is probably too low. Not interested in putting too much effort into sorting things out unless the payback would be substantial. Ideas on what it should sell for with just a cleanup and confirming it runs vs if I were to repair or replace the top and do some other tidying up, Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited by oorhett; March 19th, 2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: More photos
Old March 18th, 2019, 10:24 AM

I will give you 5 k
Old March 18th, 2019, 11:21 AM

I think the one year only, factory experimental sunroof convertible should bring a premium.

Car appears to have a later engine judging by EGR valve which is a value damper. It would help to see trunk floor & lid lower edge condition.

If you could get $5k for it, great. A lower offer would probably be fair.

Last edited by bccan; March 18th, 2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old March 18th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Administrator

A bucket full of the dust is will bring big bucks these days. I would negotiate with the neighbor a bit. Its probably a $5k car running, it will cost you the difference from your offer to get it to that point.
Old March 19th, 2019, 05:21 AM

$5,100.00
Old March 19th, 2019, 05:34 AM

This could get interesting...
Old March 19th, 2019, 05:44 AM

Wow!
Old March 19th, 2019, 06:48 AM
delete

Top is an expensive item so I don't think there is ROI in that unless you plan on doing a bunch of stuff to bring it to the next level.
If its running, I agree about $5K
Old March 19th, 2019, 07:24 AM

WOW The first and only post is on the Newbie Forum of prepping a car for sale and we have a bidding war. I wonder how many other sites he is pulling the same thing ?
.....Just my two cents worth.
Old March 19th, 2019, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
WOW The first and only post is on the Newbie Forum of prepping a car for sale and we have a bidding war. I wonder how many other sites he is pulling the same thing ?
This is the only site I am on, was not looking for a bidding war just for an idea on the value and if the potential value was worth more effort. When I do have it ready to sell it will be posted in the classifieds section, I have received some good feedback and I appreciate it.
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:22 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
For starters, he posted some decent pictures to give us an idea of what he has. I've seen other new posts that new sellers couldn't back their stuff up with pics, even after asking to post some. Plus, the moderators here are quick to react when posts don't make sense.
oorhett, Welcome to CO!
Very nice car you have for sale, I'm sure you will find a buyer here on Classic Olds.
Hope to see more pics as you are getting it ready.

All the best with the sale if you don't decide to hang onto it !

Eric
Old March 21st, 2019, 06:28 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The motor looks original gold, it could be a later 4bbl intake and carb added. Good luck.
Old March 21st, 2019, 07:07 AM
delete

Originally Posted by oorhett
Provo, Utah - I have what I believe is a 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible -
One thing IDK if anyone has mentioned - get your ownership docs in place & sorted out so you can cleanly transfer ownership. If you leave that up to the buyer you'll prob cut your target audience in half and take some haircut on the sale price
Old March 21st, 2019, 06:29 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oorhett
Provo, Utah - I have what I believe is a 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible - Looks to have been repainted at some point. Fairly clean, unfortunately, looks like some teenagers cut the top to get into it. Interior looks to be in really good shape front seats have been reupholstered at some point though. I need to get it out in the sunlight and wash it off and get some more pictures. My plan is to get it sold, a neighbor of mine really wants it and has offered $3300 but I think that is probably too low. Not interested in putting too much effort into sorting things out unless the payback would be substantial. Ideas on what it should sell for with just a cleanup and confirming it runs vs if I were to repair or replace the top and do some other tidying up, Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
There is a significant amount of good resale items on the vehicle if you were to part out the vehicle - from bumpers, to interior, to engine components, to wheels, etc. which would bring very handsome prices. You might consider if you want to sell "as is", or part it out for resale. Parting it out would take more time if you have time time available. Whatever your choice - nice find & good luck.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 09:50 PM

I like it! I don't have enough experience to weigh in on what a fair price would be, but from my perspective it's encouraging to see that $3,500 - $5,000 might do it. Seems like a solid car to start with. I sold my '71 30 yrs ago and hope to replace it at some point. Which is why I'm hanging out here. Good luck with it. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
- Jack

Last edited by 504ECB; March 23rd, 2019 at 10:29 PM.