Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > New User Forums > The Newbie Forum
A kid who loves Oldsmobiles! >

A kid who loves Oldsmobiles!

The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself and make your first post.

Old February 11th, 2019, 01:38 PM

Hello everyone,

I must admit, I did not grow up in the muscle car era, heck I'm only 30 years old.Growing up in the 90's, most cars in the neighbhorhood looked like variations of the same "Soap Box" design cars. Naturally, anytime I saw a classic car with interesting body curves and colors, I became fascinated with it. More often then not it was a 60's or 70's car typically restored and/or in the process of being completed.

Fast forward to today, I have owned an array of newer and older cars including but not limited to, a 1968 C10, 1978 corvette, a 2011 corvette, Bmws, Hondas, etc. I have owned a few different cars/trucks and enjoyed them for their various qualities but I always find myself drooling over the 1965-1972 generation of cars. As others would agree, this period in american automotive history represents the very best. The competition between the "big 3" Amercian Manufacturers to create sporty and powerful machines resulted in multiple models with unique styling and characteristics. Being that I did not live in the 60s or 70s, classic cars to me are sort of like times machines that take you back to a different time in our history.

The era of 65-72 has many cars that are extremely popular and highly sought after. However, I fancy the 70-72 Olds Cutlass. It is hard for me to pin point exactly why I love the styling and features of the 70-72 Cutlass over say a Chevelle, Camaro, a Mustang, a Torino, etc. but I suspect it is the combination of the 442 Ram Air Hood, the fastback roof line, the curves in the rear quarters, dual trumpet exhausts, the fact that many luxury options were available and well, because that it was endearingly referred to as the Gentleman's hotrod.

Although I have been searching for years and almost pulled the trigger on a few... I have yet to own a cutlass. I hope to find one, wish me luck!
Old February 11th, 2019, 02:03 PM

Welcome to the site, good luck in your quest.
Old February 11th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your search... It's always good to see some young people take an interest and carry on with the automotive heritage of the past regardless of the brand... Although for the most part we are a little bias here with a great passion for Oldsmobiles, there is a lot of knowledge covering a wide spread of automotive interest...
Old February 11th, 2019, 03:16 PM

Welcome and good luck in your search.
Old February 11th, 2019, 05:39 PM

Always good to see a kid who loves Oldsmobile’s, we need the injection of the younger guys to keep the hobby going. My first car was a 1970 “442”, I was 18 years old, now 67! Time goes by quickly, enjoy every moment.
Old February 11th, 2019, 06:25 PM

Welcome also.
I'm the same as you!lol
good luck with the searching
Old February 11th, 2019, 06:49 PM

The 65-72 cars are stunning. Today's cars are safer, faster, and way more reliable, buuuuutttttttt when it comes to styling the old musclecars are king. Besides I don't want to take out a mortgage for a new musclecar. Best of luck with your search, may the Force be with you.
Old February 11th, 2019, 08:56 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your quest!
Old February 12th, 2019, 04:53 AM

Welcome to the CO forum. Lots of knowledge here so feel free to ask a question about anything you find. There are cars for sale by forum members. Good luck with your search.
Wayne
Old February 12th, 2019, 05:16 AM

Welcome and good luck with your quest. It is great to get some young blood in this hobby!

Originally Posted by shiftbyear View Post
The 65-72 cars are stunning. Today's cars are safer, faster, and way more reliable, buuuuutttttttt when it comes to styling the old musclecars are king.
I feel the same way. Every time I'm driving my Cutlass and see a modern "retro-musclecar" on the road ('05+ Mustang, '10+ Camaro, Challenger), I think to my self: "Senator, I grew up with "retro". I knew "retro". "Retro" was a friend of mine. Senator, you're car is not "retro".
Old February 12th, 2019, 06:50 AM

welcome aboard
Old February 13th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Runner

I'm 33, got my first 68-72 Oldsmobile when I was 24. Since then, I've owned 6! I even built a website for them so I think its safe to say I got bit by the Oldsmobile bug. Good luck with the search. They are great cars with an even better community.
Old February 13th, 2019, 02:48 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Good choice. Good luck with the quest. If you ever want to employ a search concierge, PM me.
Old February 13th, 2019, 06:57 PM

Keep your eyes open, you'll spot one when you least expect it. I did.