The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Intro

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2019, 02:43 AM
Larraine Morgan

Intro

Hey y'all my name is Larraine... Aahhh I might should say user name is NanaRain. I am from Tennessee Born and raised in the country and like all Southern women I can cook, clean, plow and even hunt and kill supper if need be. I am a tomboy which I'm older but I will never be old so a Tomboy I will stick with. I am desperately seeking my first car which I have wanted to shoot myself since I sold it. But I don't know to track it down. If anyone has ideas they could share with me I would so appreciate it. It is a 1970 Olds Cutlass Dark Green with white stripes down hood and trunk. It wasn't the original paint I had bought the paint and stuff and my ex husband did the body work and painted it but it was pretty well close to the darker green but had tiny metallic specks in the paint. That was back in 1985. Long time ago. I would love to find it,if only to get pictures if someone has taken care of it. But my dream is to own it and restore it if she needs it and then race my grandkids cause they think I'm just their old Nana. I keep telling them, Y'all just wait it's going happen and y'all gonna say" Was that masked Woman, that Just Smoked US OUT OUR Nana? And my Bumper is going to read L8R-BCH'S. I can't wait. WhooHoo! So glad to be here hope stay awhile, learn alot, meet new friends and have a great time.
Hey I should say I am not a computer or phone wizzard, and all technology is foreign to me. I try Lord knows I try so right from the start I would like to appoligize for any dumb stupid inappropriate thing that I have texted, added, linked or in anyway offended or anything to anyone out there in the web world. I would never intentionally do anyone harm or say anything intentionally to hurt anyone if anything associated with me offends you please contact me so I can explain and I am sure after a minute or 2 talking with me you will probably be wondering how I managed to type this message. But have a awesome day. Santa Fe Tennessee Never has looked so beautiful than Right This Morning 🌞🐓
Old February 4th, 2019, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, fun story. Good luck in your endeavor.
Old February 4th, 2019, 07:27 AM

Welcome to the site! Its going to be hard to locate the car you used to own. But a few folks in your position have purchased another car and worked to match their old car, something that might be easier to do.
Old February 4th, 2019, 08:15 AM

Welcome. aboard, if you have any of the old documents, maybe check with a friend in law enforcement to do a vin search? would be on an old insurance doc maybe. I like the other suggestion too find one and do a recreation, you don't know what condition its in and 32 years changes a car greatly
Old February 4th, 2019, 12:58 PM

Welcome aboard NanaRain. Being from Tennessee I'm guessing you sold your long lost Oldsmobile there in Tennessee. Maybe look through some old paperwork and try and locate an old registration or insurance policy to get the VIN number. Sometimes in certain states I'm not sure about Tennessee but the BOV will run the serial number and let you know if it's still registered in your state. Good luck with your search. Joe
Old February 4th, 2019, 01:02 PM

Welcome aboard
Old February 4th, 2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by NanaRain
But I don't know to track it down. If anyone has ideas they could share with me I would so appreciate it. It is a 1970 Olds Cutlass Dark Green with white stripes down hood and trunk. It wasn't the original paint I had bought the paint and stuff and my ex husband did the body work and painted it but it was pretty well close to the darker green but had tiny metallic specks in the paint. That was back in 1985.
You haven't seen the car in 34 years. The most likely thing is that it has been junked. If you really want to find the car, and I mean if you REALLY want to find the car and you're not just hoping for a miracle and you'll see it driving down the street next week or someone on this site will have it, there is only one thing to do...hire a private detective. Give him as MUCH information as you can about the car. Your description is good. Do you have the VIN? Do you know ANYTHING about where it went when you sold it? Was it a private sale to an individual, or was it sold to a dealer? If you can give the PI this kind of information, such as the name of the person or dealer it was sold to, it will greatly help, but he may strike out as well as it has been so many years.

Anything else is just half-measures. Posting the car's VIN, even if you know it, will get you nowhere. Googling the VIN will get you nowhere. Doing a "VIN search" is not easy because motor vehicle records are kept at the state level, not the federal, so there are 50 databases to search, not just one. You would want to start with the state the car was in when it was sold. But doing a VIN search isn't going to help you, anyway, because of privacy laws. I'm familiar with Ohio's system, and if you search on a VIN at the state's DMV site, it will tell you, if the car is registered in the state at all, what county its located in and when the most recent title was issued, and that's it. No information on who owns it, what city it's in, or anything like that. So unless you want to walk every square foot of the county, you won't find it.

Remember, if you want to find the car, assuming it still exists, hire a PI. Anything else is just talk. And remember that the odds of the PI finding it after this many years are probably well less than 50%, maybe less than 10 or 5%. Maybe zero. Be prepared to be disappointed, and do what others here have suggested...find one like it and fix it up as a tribute to the one you owned.
Old February 4th, 2019, 10:28 PM

Larraine, in classified ads section of this site you can post in " CARS WANTED" what you are looking for. And as 2blu442 mentioned possibly buying a nice 70 Cutlass and repainting it to your preference is more reasonable. Best of luck with your treasure hunt. I believe the Oldsmobile Nationals will be in your state in 2020.
Old February 6th, 2019, 02:03 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Welcome to the site and hopefully a success story on finding your car.

Old February 6th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck in your quest to find your old Cutlass... Never say never, with the right amount of information you just might luck out... All the pertinent information you can provide would surely be beneficial...