The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

How To Post Pictures/Images

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2019, 07:08 PM
Running On Empty

NOTE: Members are now able to (once again) copy/paste an image from another website directly into a thread/post.

You can post pictures/images via the Paper Clip icon (pictured below) or the Mountain Image icon (pictured below). You may or you may not see the Paper Clip icon depending on whether you are viewing this site from a hand-held device in 'View Full Website', 'View Mobile Site' mode, or using the 'Go Advanced' feature. The following instructions apply to both icons.

To UPLOAD a image/picture, click on one of the icons identified below.

The screen you see next depends on whether you are uploading from a mobile/hand-held device, laptop, notebook, or similar small-screen device or a large-screen desktop PC. From a desktop PC you will not see TAKE PHOTO.

From URL means a website address (link) where you have picture/image files stored in a different location (not located on www.classicoldsmobile.com). In other words (as an example), your image file(s) are hosted at Photobucket, Flickr, Dropbox, Tinypic, Imgur, GooglePhotos, or another website. Copy/Paste the URL website address location of the picture/image file into the box Paste a File URL... NOTE: The URL must contain the actual picture/image file e.g. .jpg, .jpeg, etc.

From Device means your picture/image file is located on the mobile hand-held device, laptop, notebook, or PC you are using. This will apply to most CO (Classic Oldsmobile) users.

Take Photo means the image you'll upload comes from a photo you are about to take on your hand-held device. Generally you'll see/choose Use Photo from your hand-held device (after you've taken the photo), the statement you see might be different depending on the type of hand-held device you are using. The process to Upload that photo remains the same as depicted in the instructions which follow (below).

My Albums means you have previously created Albums in your CO profile on www.classicoldsmobile.com and you have image/picture files located in an album.

Click on an appropriate menu item (below):

As an example, you have chosen the Browse Your Device button (pictured below).

The Upload Files window appears (below). Read each NOTE: to familiarize yourself with the various operations.

Select the files you want to upload - you may select multiple files (both image files and 'other' file types).

IMPORTANT: All select files must appear in the following window (below) before you click Upload. Wait until your file(s) are viewable in this window (below) before clicking Upload (see following instructions).

Next, click Upload only after all files are viewable in the following window (below). Ensure your images are arranged in-line in the order you want them viewed, add tags, categorize, and/or delete any files, etc.

After clicking Upload, you will be returned to your post page where you can save and/or preview your changes.

Click either Save Changes (without previewing), or click Preview Changes to view your files. IMPORTANT: If you choose to Preview Changes, you must return & click Save Changes in order for your files to be saved.

Congratulations! You have successfully posted images.

For additional information pertaining to editing images & making changes to your post, continue to read the next post Advanced Features & Editing Posts.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 30th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.
Old January 29th, 2019, 10:41 PM
Running On Empty

Advanced Features & Editing Posts

'Go Advanced'

The Go Advanced feature provides the ability to edit a post (e.g. images, attachments, messages, options, etc.). There are several places to find the Go Advanced feature button.

From any CO (Classic Oldsmobile) screen where you wish to edit/modify a post,

Click on the Edit button (below);

You are taken to a new page & presented with several options (below):

Click on the Go Advanced button (below):

You are taken to a new page & presented with several options (discussed below):

Delete this message (option)

Edit Post (option)

Additional Options (option)

Valid File Extensions

A file extension identifies the file format. It is a group of letters (suffix) which occurs after the period in a file name.

Examples of file (name) extensions: .JPG, .JPEG, .PDF, .MP4, .BMP, .TIFF, .TXT, .GIF, etc.

.JPEG and .JPG are the recommended image file formats for websites.

Images/Attachments/Files must be one of the file extensions identified below.

Manage Attachments

The Manage Attachments button (identified below) is available via the Go Advanced feature. The Manage Attachments button provides the ability to rapidly return to the Upload Files window.

Selecting the Manage Attachments button (identified above) returns the user to the familiar Upload Files window (below).

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 1st, 2019 at 06:03 AM.
Old January 31st, 2019, 09:49 PM
Administrator

I made this a sticky, thank you Norm for all the work you put into this.
Old February 1st, 2019, 02:40 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Great job Norm. Since these questions come up about once a month, your sticky will save a lot of people a lot of time.

Thanks.
Old February 1st, 2019, 03:51 AM
Running On Empty

Thanks guys. Cheers.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 1st, 2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old February 1st, 2019, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Since these questions come up about once a month, your sticky will save a lot of people a lot of time.
How much you want to bet it won't?

There have been photo-posting stickies on this site since the beginning, and people still ask how to post photos. Norm's current effort to educate people is probably the best so far, but I wouldn't assume that this will be the end it.
Old February 1st, 2019, 09:49 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by jaunty75
How much you want to bet it won't?

There have been photo-posting stickies on this site since the beginning, and people still ask how to post photos. Norm's current effort to educate people is probably the best so far, but I wouldn't assume that this will be the end it.
You're right Jaunty. I don't know what I was thinking.......
Old December 9th, 2019, 10:14 AM

pics

Hi

I dont have the "trombone" on the messages.

So iam not use to put my pics on the web , and get and url adress.

Could you help me to find a way to simply add my pics on the posts

THanks
Old February 5th, 2020, 11:42 AM

I have followed this advice many times and every time it gets to 90% and freezes, Any ideas? I'm using Chrome to run the web-site, is there a feature I need to dis-able or enable?
Old February 5th, 2020, 11:49 AM

Here is a PDF pic of what I get, thats the only way to load pics
Attached Files
File Type: docx
90% pdf.docx (125.6 KB, 14 views)
Old February 5th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Running On Empty

Firstly, that is not a .pdf image. That is a Microsoft Word document you posted (.docx). Are you attempting this operation from a WiFi connection? Are you attempting this operation from a handheld mobile device?
Old February 5th, 2020, 12:54 PM

Here's what he posted, and it does not look like what you see on a hand-held device but rather looks like a full computer screen. Also, the little computer screen symbol in the tray at the lower right (yellow arrow) suggests a hard-wire connection, not a wifi connection, which usually has the little radio wave symbol.

For what it's worth, I use a wireless connection on the computer I'm typing this on, and I can upload photos to this site without a problem all day long (as I just did below).

Last edited by jaunty75; February 5th, 2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old February 5th, 2020, 12:58 PM
Running On Empty

That image does not tell me from what device he attempted to upload the image. That image does nothing more than demonstrate to me the Browser screen from which he posted the image. Again, it does not demonstrate the device upon which has failed unless he specifically states otherwise.
Old February 5th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Running On Empty

BTW, you should note the "image" itself was most likely created/taken from a handheld device. NOTE: The statement "Take Photo". That statement is not an option on a desktop PC device.
Old February 5th, 2020, 01:06 PM

Geez, Norm, do we have to be so d@mned ****? Here's what this looks like on my cell phone. It looks nothing like what he posted. While we can't say with 100% certainty that he's not using a handheld, we can probably say it with 99.9% certainty.

Why don't you be a little proactive while you're at it? At least one of your questions has been answered. Let's assume he IS using a handheld. What's your suggestion? The wording of your questions suggests you have some.

Old February 5th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Running On Empty

Here's what it appears to me, but I can't say with certainty - that is the reason for my questions.

(1) Post # 3 is not an image. An image will post as an image. A document will post as an attachment. Albeit, the OP posted a document and not an image.
(2) From what type device was the original image captured. That I cannot determine with any certainty. It most clearly appears to be a "mobile" device. It is not clear if it is a handheld mobile phone and of what variety. My suspicion is the image contained w/in the Microsoft Word document (.docx) was captured on a mobile device as possibly a screen shot. The screenshot was uploaded to a desktop PC from which it was then posted (as an attachment) to CO. Again, my question remains - what type mobile device is the OP attempting to post an image from? This could be a laptop, a phone, or an iPad or other type mobile device employing (additionally) a WiFi connection.
(3) At some point it appears the original image was captured, moved into a .pdf file, then the .pdf file was imported into a Microsoft Word document (as an attachment) and uploaded to CO.

If the attempt to upload the original image was performed on an iPhone (perhaps) and it was attempted on a WiFi connection. It can take quite some time based upon a couple factors. The strength of the signal and the type of file (in particular).

So, how about this for starters: What is the file extension of the original file you are attempting to upload? The file extension is the three (3) letter suffix at the end of the file.
Old February 5th, 2020, 01:26 PM

Thank You I'm on a Laptop at the time I was hardwired but usually I'm on wi-fi, Spectrum.
Old February 5th, 2020, 01:31 PM
Running On Empty

Racecarguy - Are you certain the image you're attempting to upload meets one of the file extension criteria of the CO website? Sometimes (often) a file which does not meet the criteria for upload will timeout and fail because the CO website cannot render the original file extension. Just double check the file extension is of the accepted type of file format.

Generally, most files will upload rather rapidly unless they are really enormous files. The best file format for uploading to a website would be a .jpg or .jpeg as they are rendered faster and achieve the best compression.
Old February 5th, 2020, 01:37 PM
Running On Empty

These are the accepted file formats (below). Sometimes folks might/will take a picture off of a handheld movie camera, a GoPro (or similar device), etc. and the file extension is not of an acceptable file format. So, it's difficult to determine what file format you attempted to upload without asking.

Old February 5th, 2020, 01:38 PM

Norm,
Thanks for those little tid-bits However I CAN Read, and it's a.jpg 1.09mb. I'm using a DELL laptop to access the site, not a mobile device. The picture was originally taken with an iPhone XR and saved to the phone as a picture, then e-mailed to my laptop, saved as as a .jpg.
All I wanted to do is find out a little info about my new 442, trim tag, but most everyone on here seems to be a computer program expert and cranky! or maybe its just Hazing the newbie.
I tried Internet explorer, and Chrome neither will load past 90%, If you have any ideas I would love to hear them.
Old February 5th, 2020, 01:42 PM
Running On Empty

Right. Well, we're trying to get to the point of determining why you can't upload. The 1.09MB .jpg should have uploaded instantly from a desktop. Hmmmmm.......will need to think a minute on this.
Old February 5th, 2020, 01:43 PM

Thank You!
Old February 5th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Running On Empty

So, you appear rather computer savvy - that's good. You tried two different Browsers and receive the same null results. That's a help knowing neither IE nor Chrome achieved any results. Currently, most sites have downgraded the IE functionality and most are expecting Edge, but I believe that's a non-issue. I'm just curious if you have a Browser Extension? Those are those pesky little "Add-On" (extension) features which often times can interfere with uploads as the Add-On becomes incompatible with uploading features as they have a difficult time with the handshake (between a website and the end-user).
Old February 5th, 2020, 01:54 PM

The only thing that I have turned on is pop-up blocker which I have never had an issue downloading, usually the only time I have experienced an issue with pop-up blockers is when a web-site has multiple layers inside the site.
The only thing I can figure is since I also use this lap-top for work sometimes, I do have a VPN I go through, maybe that is causing an issue. One thing I just noticed while looking at items for sale is the post says picture below, however on my side I do not see a picture either attached or in the body of the post.
If you are stumped also, maybe this weekend I can try a friends personal computer and see if that works.
Thanks
Old February 5th, 2020, 01:58 PM
Running On Empty

In the past, there have been a couple users who did run into an issue w/ AV software - IIRC, it was a setting in Chrome - it's been awhile since that time, but it was the AV software running and Chrome wasn't allowing the upload - it was basically timing out the same as you.

I really hate telling your a more or less final option which is a quick fix (if it works) but doesn't necessarily get to the heart of "why" the issue occurred e.g. corrupt cache, corrupt cookie, etc. That quick fix would be to clear your Browser cache as a more or less "blanket" attempt to remove the possibility you have a corrupt cache. You can be selective about it, just clear your cookies at first, or any other cache items or clear the entire cache (if you elect to give this a try). You certainly won't harm anything, you'll lose maybe some websites that were cached but it might be worth a try.

Basically [Ctrl] [Shft] [Del]

https://clear-my-cache.com/en/windows.html

Old February 5th, 2020, 02:00 PM

OK thanks!
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:02 PM
Running On Empty

Ah, well, you might be getting closer. If you have a VPN connection to another PC, website, work, etc. the VPN can interfere with your ability to employ Javascript and several other "active" features (e.g. Adobe, etc.) while you have a VPN connection established. This is primarily because the VPN is a dedicated connection and the packet formations are being created to traverse the VPN connection network. You may have packets being formed for a VPN connection and when you attempt to upload, the packet formation is not going to work while the VPN connection is established. This depends on how your Administrator setup your VPN software attributes and the type of VPN software you're using.
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:04 PM

Tried it, it got to 90% much faster but froze again.
I'll try another computer this weekend
Thanks for trying!
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:04 PM
Running On Empty

As you most likely clearly understand, a VPN is an encrypted "tunneling" network employed to safeguard all data streams (packets) between two clearly distinct locations.
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:17 PM
Running On Empty

You might very well get it to work on another friends PC or device. I have employed many VPN connections for many customers/clients. VPN technology is 'designed' to achieve highly encrypted packet handshakes. There are many manners to establish the settings for VPN tunnels. Here's one (or two) to consider.

(1) If you are using an employer issued laptop with an employer's VPN application loaded on a work laptop (again, depending on how the Administrator setup the VPN application), the Administrator can, in fact, disable any/all of certain features on the laptop which could "corrupt" the VPN software. This is quite common and often the nightmare for some folks who get a new company issued laptop and find they're more or less locked down (to a degree);

(2) You might be using your own personal laptop, but you loaded your company VPN application. Here again, VPN applications are touchy - they're generally designed to work w/in a very specified set of parameters. This is of necessity (1) because the intention is to completely safeguard the information being shared between two points of access and (2) they're expensive to configure and maintain. Just some food for thought for you, you might even ping your Admin to see if there is a workaround or whatever. GL
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:25 PM

Thanks Again, Have a great night!
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:28 PM
Running On Empty

I don't want to belabor this, but I did re-read your post above in which you stated:

"The only thing I can figure is since I also use this lap-top for work sometimes, I do have a VPN I go through, maybe that is causing an issue. One thing I just noticed while looking at items for sale is the post says picture below, however on my side I do not see a picture either attached or in the body of the post."

When you say you have a VPN you go through, that VPN connection is designed to negotiate between ONLY two sites you cannot negotiate between any other site - period. So, if you were trying to upload/download from any other site other than the two sites which the VPN software application is configured you will not be able to negotiate any active Javascript (active) software through the VPN connection unless it is specifically between the two sites where the VPN connection is established.

When you said the picture below you cannot see while looking for items for sale, that kind of hinted to me what is probably going on - your VPN is not going to allow you to see active content because you are attempting to negotiate through the VPN connection to a website outside of the VPN connection. This is complicated network voodoo which most folks never get involved with.
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:33 PM

Did this work?

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I don't want to belabor this, but I did re-read your post above in which you stated:

"The only thing I can figure is since I also use this lap-top for work sometimes, I do have a VPN I go through, maybe that is causing an issue. One thing I just noticed while looking at items for sale is the post says picture below, however on my side I do not see a picture either attached or in the body of the post."

When you say you have a VPN you go through, that VPN connection is designed to negotiate between ONLY two sites you cannot negotiate between any other site - period. So, if you were trying to upload/download from any other site other than the two sites which the VPN software application is configured you will not be able to negotiate any active Javascript (active) software through the VPN connection unless it is specifically between the two sites where the VPN connection is established.

When you said the picture below you cannot see while looking for items for sale, that kind of hinted to me what is probably going on - your VPN is not going to allow you to see active content because you are attempting to negotiate through the VPN connection to a website outside of the VPN connection. This is complicated network voodoo which most folks never get involved with.

I tried using my iPhone
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:34 PM
Running On Empty

Yep, the VPN connection won't allow active content outside the VPN two destinations. Your phone doesn't have the VPN connection application loaded I'll bet. Good job.
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:35 PM

Thanks
I guess I'll just stick with my phone from now on.
I do really appreciate all you tried to help me get it straightened out!
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:37 PM
Running On Empty

As I suggested in the post above, it looked like you took the picture from a mobile device (i.e. phone), then imported into a desktop PC, then attempted to post to CO. Had you just attempted from the mobile phone, it would have worked. When you moved it into your desktop PC, it went belly up on you because of the VPN connection. Have a good one man!
Old February 5th, 2020, 02:40 PM
Running On Empty

Generally, if you log off of your VPN connection on your laptop, you should be able to browse anywhere you want and even the uploads should work. The VPN locks your packet formations to negotiate between two clearly defined and distinct sites. If you disconnect from your VPN connection, you should be A-OK. Again though (to a degree) it depends on how the VPN application was written/configured. I'd give it a try but without the VPN connection established.
Old September 12th, 2023, 09:44 PM

Trying my first post

At Home side view

At Home side view
Out and About. 1973

Last edited by gmo1973; September 12th, 2023 at 09:46 PM. Reason: same picture twice