The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

30 Years later...

Old January 4th, 2019, 05:09 AM

30 Years later...

Last edited by ChillyJ; May 4th, 2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old January 4th, 2019, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, thanks for sharing your story.
Old January 4th, 2019, 05:50 AM

You have a lot of history with Oldsmobiles! Welcome to the site, lots of helpful folks here who love to help.
Old January 4th, 2019, 05:51 AM

Great story. Looking forward to the resurrection of your car.
Old January 4th, 2019, 06:28 AM

Good story and welcome. Im sure a lot of us have stories of how their interest/admiration of these cars began. Every time I meet another Olds fan I learn a little something about their past and realize we have a lot of similar experiences. If you think about it, you can most likely break down age demographics by the cars owned. 65-67( 55-65yrs) 68-72 (45-55yrs) 73-77 (35-45yrs) Im just guessing.
I think we all have some fond memories of growing up and first cars or early cars was monumental and coincided with so many other firsts at that time. At that age obsessing over a car seemed like a responsibility at an age where there really wasn't any. As we get older we start to prioritize things and get real responsibility. Old cars(toys) get put aside and forgotten until we can slow down and try to really enjoy life. I think everyone likes to feel young again and these cars(and other things) do just that. Its kinda like bucket list stuff.
Nice car BTW.
What sport and did you compete in the Olympics?
Old January 4th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Welcome to the forum and what a great backstory! I can't wait to read more about the restoration process as it progresses.
Old January 4th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Jeff

I'm with Scrappie... I want to know what sport and who you are?

Also, the pic with the drawers hanging on the clothesline is a hoot!

Good luck with the resto!
Old January 4th, 2019, 10:52 AM

What a great read! Good luck with the restoration and please post progress pictures!
Old January 4th, 2019, 01:29 PM

Reading the gospel....

great read , I felt like you were writing any mans story ( except about the olympics) I drove my project into the garage in 1994 for a couple of things , it was my everyday driver but just finished building my wife a 72 skylark paint and all! Well a couple of things turned into might as wells and low and behold the body came off the frame yadayada then life takes over work, a kid, a lot of overseas travels and in between working on the old car
so I just keep chomping away doing what I can when I can looking forward to reading your build and welcome
Old January 4th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Great history of trying to live the dream, that may appear to come to fruition in the near future...
Old January 4th, 2019, 04:03 PM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I competed in the sport of weightlifting. For those that don't know that is, its the ****** and Clean & Jerk. 2 lifts with a barbell from the floor to overhead. Most people my age always remember the "big Russian" who was on the cover of Sports Illustrated after the '76 Montreal Olympics and on ABC Wide World of Sports intro - Vasili Aleexiev.

I now have a gym in Vegas, Average Broz Gymnasium and coach athletes from 8 year old beginners to world-class / Olympic level in dozens of sports for strength and power production. A gear head / big block fan who likes making power. Coincidence?
Years ago during a conversation I had with worlds strongest man winner and overall bad ****, Bill Kazmaier we got on the subject of motorcycles. I was telling him about my ZX-12 with a turbo and he was telling me about his Hayabusa with nitrous. I laughed and he said "yeah, the love of horsepower. In the gym or on the streets."

I will start the resto thread so everyone can stay updated, but also to hold myself accountable to others and getting it finished. Looking forward to feedback, constructive criticism, and advice from everyone. Thank you in advance for any assistance with this. I am pumped to get it done!
Old January 5th, 2019, 08:14 PM
Running On Empty

At one point I owned a 68,9,70,1,2,3,4,5,6 Cutlass all at the same time. I parked them all down my street taking up every spot.
Now that would be a cool site to see!
Old January 5th, 2019, 11:03 PM

Would have been nice to have a camera phone back then. Most of them were beaters, but I still thought it was cool and wish I had a pic. This pic is NO way as cool, but at least my mom grabbed a pic of this one. We had our bikes lined up L to R: 87,88,89,90,91,92. The Brands were Kawi, Kawi, Yam, Yam, Suz, Suz and funny that the displacements were 750,750,1000,1000,1100,1100. Im standing by my 89 FZR 1000 but the lighting was horrible. lol.