The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Looking to Restore

Old December 27th, 2018, 11:39 PM

Looking to Restore

Hello all,
A little background on my car and what I hope to gain from this forum. I bought my 72 Cutlass S in Florida back in 1985 when I was in the Navy. It had 100K miles on it at the time and I remember asking the salesman what the warranty was because I was worried about the transmission failing after I drove it off the lot. Since that time, I have put another 165K miles on it and drove it regularly until 2002. In 1986 when I finished my training in the Navy, I received a $3000 bonus and I spent $600 on a 4 barrel carburetor, manifold and dual exhaust and another $300 on an engagement ring for my wife. My priorities shifted after that moment and it was the last time in invested in my car to improve performance. I have spent money to maintain ti and have done almost all the work myself. In 1998, a big change occurred in its upkeep when I T-boned a county sheriff. I twas the cops fault so the county's insurance gave me a small amount to make repairs without calling the car totaled. I ended up replacing the hood, radiator housing, and left fender with parts form a 70 Cutlass. I have kept it in the garage from that time forward and have just run it a couple times a year.

Now that my kids are out of college and I have a few dollars saved up I am ready to restore my car. I hope I can some support from this forum. In particular, some advice on where to start and what is the most efficient way to getting it done. I posted a couple pictures of my car from 1987 and most recently October of this year. I look forward to reading experiences form others and hope to make a few friends.
Old December 28th, 2018, 03:09 PM

The pictures didn't come thru. Welcome to the site. Neat story, you have some history with that car! I would get it running and make sure it is safe and drive it as you slowly restore it. Some take their car all apart and get overwhelmed and it never gets completed... Have fun and keep us posted and ask questions- lots of knowledge on this site.
Old December 28th, 2018, 06:15 PM

Welcome to the forums...you'll find a real wealth of knowledge here and plenty of advice once you're able to successfully post some photos.

Kind of ironic you have a '72 with a '70 front clip. I just bought my second '70 sporting '72 clips. The '70 is one year only but the '71/'72 interchange.
Old December 28th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. What direction do you want to take your car resto? Full body off, body on driver but somewhat stock, performance, ?
Old December 29th, 2018, 07:12 PM

I have the patience and determination to do a full body off restoration. I am hoping to get some advice on the correct sequence. I will farm out the body and interior work but can do most of the rest myself.
Old December 29th, 2018, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the support. I found a front radiator housing and hood for a 72. I just need the grill and bezels. I like your cars.
Old December 30th, 2018, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by 72Pumpkin
Thanks for the support. I found a front radiator housing and hood for a 72. I just need the grill and bezels. I like your cars.
Thanks...I should update the photos as the Tan '72 has been sold and I have a blue '70 in addition to the grey one.

Do you know which grills you need for the Cutlass S? The 442 and Supreme models each had their own unique grill and it seems pretty common for the Supreme grills to be used as replacements. The S should have the horizontal bars, evenly spaced while the Supreme is a grid design. I don't think the style you need is available aftermarket so you might want to post an ad in the classifieds here.

The centre (gravel guard) section is also different, as are the headlight bezels and surrounding support pieces.

Old December 30th, 2018, 07:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to the site. 72 Cutlass S? Very nice car if I do say so myself. That's my Olds of choice too. I've had mine since 1974 when it was purchased used off an Olds dealer lot with 40K miles. I also farmed out the body work, but did all the mechanical myself.

Curious what factory your car came from. There's a letter code in your VIN after the 3G87H2. that will be the factory code. If it's anything other than M, you probably will find an actual build sheet for your car on top of the gas tank.

There's actually more to repairing your car than just the hood, rad support, fender, grills and small trim. Depending on how hard you hit the cruiser, there may be front horn damage to the frame and that will affect the way the front end parts line up with the rest of the body.

Try posting pictures of the car again. This format works really well for Chrome and Firefox Clik the 'postcard'

that takes you to this screen

Now you can browse your computer's picture library, or if you have a web server hosting service choose the URL and paste it in there. You can choose multiple pictures by going to the top left of the screen AFTER you upload the first picture and choose the option for capturing more pictures.. When your'e done, simply press "UPLOAD" on the top right.

Hope that works for you.

Old December 30th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Allan R
You can choose multiple pictures by going to the top left of the screen AFTER you upload the first picture and choose the option for capturing more pictures.
Allan, you do not need to UPLOAD the first picture then choose the option for capturing more pictures. You simple do this. When you arrive at the place on your device to BROWSE YOUR DEVICE from you can perform one of the following two options. These options have always been available for computers. Many people are unaware of these options but they are fundamental/rudimentary keyboard options:
(1) Click on any image by holding down the Ctrl keyboard key with your left-hand and click the image with your mouse. Do this same procedure as many times as you like - continually holding down the Ctrl keyboard key and clicking each image you want to UPLOAD. You'll notice each image is highlighted. Simply click UPLOAD and each image will UPLOAD. No need UPLOADING one then returning to get more;
(2) If your images are in 'sequence' (say the images and/or files you intend to UPLOAD) in your folder, flash driver, whatever; then, beginning with the first image/file you wish to UPLOAD, simply hold down on the Shift keyboard key then move to the end of the sequence of images/files you wish to upload and click the last image in sequence. You'll notice all images/files between the first image/file you clicked and the last image/file you clicked are now highlighted, indicating they will all UPLOAD.
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, my mistake. Upload AFTER selecting all the pictures. The CTRL feature works well. I don't use the SHIFT feature though as the CO tool allows me to move things around on the upload page.
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Running On Empty

Yes, my mistake. Upload AFTER selecting all the pictures. The CTRL feature works well. I don't use the SHIFT feature though as the CO tool allows me to move things around on the upload page.
It wasn't a mistake, your method would still work but is a bit more cumbersome. The Shift keyboard key is not for moving things around, it's simply a keyboard shortcut for grabbing a complete 'sequence' of files/images rather than hitting Ctrl+Click for each image/file. Moving stuff around is easy after the UPLOAD.
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ah, I misinterpreted your comment. Yes, I'm aware of the differences between CTRL and SHIFT for grabbing images. I like CTRL better because it allows select images whereas SHIFT takes the whole block of them which may or may not be what I want to include. Then I'd have to go back and delete those specific images. You're right though that these methods do save time. Thanks for the reminder, I had overlooked that.
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Running On Empty

Ah, I misinterpreted your comment. Yes, I'm aware of the differences between CTRL and SHIFT for grabbing images. I like CTRL better because it allows select images whereas SHIFT takes the whole block of them which may or may not be what I want to include. Then I'd have to go back and delete those specific images. You're right though that these methods do save time. Thanks for the reminder, I had overlooked that.
Of course, you can always maneuver on the variant.
Employ Shift to grab an entire block of images/files; then, use Ctrl to 'deselect' the images/files you don't wish included in the block of images/files.
Old December 30th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You impress me with your computer skills and versatility. I like your approach to selecting multiple images but most people might get confused by what they consider to be complex. I think we've hijacked this thread enough? With luck the OP will read, decipher and understand the comments; then post some pics of his ride.